The Carringbush Rumour File (JUST the rumour pls)

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 101 times

Post by Pies2016 »

I can’t speak on behalf of any interest in Cadman but I do know he has strong family ties in Canberra, despite playing for the Rebels in the U18s. The Giants felt those connections would serve them well in retaining him. That doesn’t make him out of range but there are reasons for him staying put.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 101 times

Post by Pies2016 »

Newelly wrote:Is Bailey Smith on Geelong's radar?
Geelong and Hawthorn. Smith is currently in a unique position at the Bulldogs, in that his ultimate value at the dogs will likely be determined by the retention ( or not ) of both Ugle - Hagen and English. Both will be offered significant long term contracts and if both accept, then Smiths contract renewal offer will decline accordingly. There’s a lot to play out with Smith and not the least will be how strongly he rehabilitates from the ACL injury. I’d suggest, Smiths future is far from certain with any club at the moment.
dalyc
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by dalyc »

I haven’t been on this thread for a while but some lovely rumours awaited me.
If only the historical hit rate on the rumours was higher I’d be more excited.
Would love to get Rowell or Cadman, but a KPF would really float my boat.
Alas, I suspect it’s all a siren song luring me to the rocks.
Four legged animals good, two legged animals better
Jezza
Has liked: 175 times
Been liked: 236 times

Post by Jezza »

Great read. This is what make Nick's great.
Thanks to Qldmagpie67 and Pies2016 for providing their intel.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
Said by Zed
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Said by Zed »

warburton lad wrote:It pains me to think that at the end of 2021 season, Adelaide were hawking Taylor Walker around for bugger all and they had no takers....
Actually Lad, as I posted previously Adelaide had Tex, Crouch, and their 1st and 9th picks on the table for Grundy and our 14th…according to Eddie our starting price for negotiations was 10 first round picks….I guess the rest is history.
The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men...
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 174 times
Been liked: 176 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

^Zed, has that been quoted / verified anywhere?
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
thesoretoothsayer
Been liked: 18 times

Post by thesoretoothsayer »

In 2021, the "Do Better" report was released, McGuire had been forced(?) to leave early and the Lumumba saga was ongoing.
Do you really think that management would've let the football department recruit a guy who just got 6 weeks for racial abuse?
Imagine the smears, recriminations and media hysterics.
LaurieHolden

Post by LaurieHolden »

^without wanting to derail the thread, I dug up some additional info from the period. If this opens a pandoras box of replies, I'll move it to its own thread.

Adelaide did have National Draft picks 2 and 11 in the 2020 draft.
They secured ~
National Draft pick 2 Riley Thilthorpe
National Draft pick 11 Luke Pedlar

Our 14th likely ended up being our pick 17 which was Oliver Henry.

Given the draft depth that year https://www.draftguru.com.au/years/2020 , I hope that offer wasn't on the table.
2023 AFL Premiers
Said by Zed

Post by Said by Zed »

LaurieHolden wrote:^Zed, has that been quoted / verified anywhere?
Probably one for the rumours thread but I’m not one to kiss and tell (figure of speech really as I’ve frequently been known to over share and divulge such exploits…but that’s another story for another time)…yes was verified over several bottles of red one evening by a club insider sadly not with us anymore if that’s anything to go by…and yes I can sense some of you raising eyebrows and rolling your eyes. I brought up details of the potential trade that never happened here a few years ago following the aftermath of one of our worst trading debacles in decades when the club jettisoned several players (Treloar, Stevo, Phillips, Atu) for practically nothing to balance the books after paying way overs for Grundy who at the time had just been worked out by the opposition and was routinely more of a liability than benefit. It’s well known that Eddie had stepped in and vetoed any plans to in his words “trade away a one of a kind” and “the player of his generation for anything less than 10 first round picks”…who knows what could have been. As it turned out extremely grateful for the premiership, but we certainly wouldn’t be in the predicament we are in now with no talented key talls on our list, no top ten draft picks, and no prospect of landing any big fish as they’ve already been locked away on lengthy contracts.
The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men...
qldmagpie67
Been liked: 89 times

Post by qldmagpie67 »

Zed, it’s well known now that Eddie stepped in when he was updated by our football department, we were unlikely to be in a cap position to retain Grundy.
The coach and football department wanted to prioritise other players and get more balance into our cap.
Eddie was annoyed hearing how Collingwood couldn’t manage its cap and would be unable to keep any player if another club come strongly for them.
He decided under no circumstances would he lose Grundy on his watch.
Grundy’s management knowing this did what any smart manager would do with his clients' interests.
I know Adelaide never offered Grundy over $700k they were relying on the go home factor but weren’t prepared to mortgage the house to get him.
I’ve been informed their offer was 4 years at $700 with a extra year at the end on same money if he met games played target.
His manager led the negotiations, bluff or otherwise which then saw Collingwood go all in with 7 years $7 million with no clauses.
The rest is history
There was some reports at the time Buckley Pendles Howe and Adam’s met with Grundy late in negotiations to try to convince him to take a little less because taking that much from the cap would ultimately lead to the team losing other players

If it hadn’t been for Eddie’s ego our cap wouldn’t have been in the mess, we ended up with.
The karma of the situation was it was Grundy’s own greed that cost him his place at Collingwood when Wright made it clear he was way overpaid for the position he played, and the club was happy to pay some of his salary to get him off our books.
The coach (despite what he’s said publicly) wasn’t upset Grundy would be gone he was happy with what Cameron and Cox were producing as a combination costing half what we had to pay Grundy.
Said by Zed

Post by Said by Zed »

Thanks qldmagpie67 not sure whether you’re trying to debunk or bolster my share….the intel I had at the material time was beyond credible - from the mouth of a club insider with strong ties to Adelaide and part of our brains trust putting said deal together.

The juxtaposition, if you will, was that both Tex and Sloane were on the nose at the Crows at the time…Tex due to injury, form decline, and the ‘racial slur’ fiasco. Sloane had family issues as his partner was having a baby after a very difficult time and wanted to go home in VIC to be near family. Adelaide were desperate for a Ruck they thought would be the missing piece to achieve glory. Both Tex and Sloane were on very good coin so whoever told you the offer from the Crows to Grundy was for 4 years at 700k was having a lend or they made it up. Maybe you just heard it on the telly (here’s a tip don’t believe everything you see and hear in the media). Adelaide’s offer was considerably more as they knew they would’ve had heaps with Tex and Sloane off the payroll, far more than we could match to satisfy Grundy’s exorbitant price tag…and then some. And yes the go home factor was very much in play with Grundy wanting to go back to Adelaide….but his preference was Port so he could play alongside brother Riley. However Port could not come anywhere close to Adelaide’s offer (probably where you might have heard 4yrs at 700k emanating from) and had an in extremely weak trade hand considering they spent all their bickies picking up Rozee, Butters, and Duursma the year before. Grundy to Port was never going to happen.

It came down to us not being able to cover Tex and Sloane’s wages and not having confidence they would regain appropriate form, and of course our President not wanting to be known as the man who let the ‘Ruckman of the century’ walk out the door on his watch. “No one leaves Collingwood”, remember? Instead we lost several club favourites for NOTHING in return, and then a couple of years later Grundy also for NOTHING!. Clusterf@#k of biblical proportions!
Last edited by Said by Zed on Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
LaurieHolden

Post by LaurieHolden »

QM67, were you talking to Cliff from the Coodabeens? That's a wild tale.
2023 AFL Premiers
Big T
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by Big T »

And yet getting rid of treloar phillips Stevo and Atu was one of the best moves the club ever made. Funny how things turn out.
Buon Giorno
dalyc
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by dalyc »

Big T wrote:And yet getting rid of treloar phillips Stevo and Atu was one of the best moves the club ever made. Funny how things turn out.
That you, Fred?
Four legged animals good, two legged animals better
K
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by K »

qldmagpie67 wrote:Zed, it’s well known now that Eddie stepped in when he was updated by our football department, we were unlikely to be in a cap position to retain Grundy.
The coach and football department wanted to prioritise other players and get more balance into our cap.
If it hadn’t been for Eddie’s ego our cap wouldn’t have been in the mess, we ended up with.
The karma of the situation was it was Grundy’s own greed that cost him his place at Collingwood when Wright made it clear he was way overpaid for the position he played, and the club was happy to pay some of his salary to get him off our books.
The coach (despite what he’s said publicly) wasn’t upset Grundy would be gone he was happy with what Cameron and Cox were producing as a combination costing half what we had to pay Grundy.
6 months ago, Buckley himself said the football department had decided to let Grundy go and Eddie interfered. So dunno why some folks here act like it hasn't been confirmed.

Said by Zed wrote:Thanks qldmagpie67 not sure whether you’re trying to debunk or bolster my share….the intel I had at the material time was beyond credible - from the mouth of a club insider with strong ties to Adelaide and part of our brains trust putting said deal together.

The juxtaposition, if you will, was that both Tex and Sloane were on the nose at the Crows at the time…Tex due to injury, form decline, and the ‘racial slur’ fiasco. Sloane had family issues as his partner was having a baby after a very difficult time and wanted to go home in VIC to be near family. ...
The Walker racial slur 6-match ban was in August 2021. Surely a lot later than the contract/trade stuff, right?