Biden presidency and 2024 election campaign

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

stui magpie
Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 95 times

Post by stui magpie »

^

I read about that. What's the deal? I understand the Colorado Supreme court has found that, under (14.3) of the Constitution, he can't be POTUS so they've banned him from being on the Republican ballot for candidate.

For a state to make a ruling based on the constitution probably isn't rare, but it doesn't have carriage across other states, does it?

Would each state have to get their own court ruling to do the same or if the US Supreme court upholds the ruling on appeal, does that automatically then apply to all states?
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 118 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

I presume what will happen is that Trump's lawyers will ask the Supreme Court to take the case, they will take it and they will reverse the decision by majority. Although, technically, only Colorado would be bound by that determination, it would likely close the matter off for the rest of the country, save for any particularly unusual provisions of any local State electoral law.

I still think that it is bordering upon risible that a reasonably advanced Western country with a population of 340 million people, give or take, can't find two candidates to stand for President who aren't senile and haven't been involved in insurrection.
stui magpie
Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 95 times

Post by stui magpie »

^

Ta for that, I agree on the age of the candidates, it's ridiculous. You think the US supreme court will overturn it? Is that because it's wrong at premise or because they're stacked with Trump appointments?
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 46 times

Post by David »

Pretty interesting news and could actually have an impact on the election outcome if upheld, but I agree that it's near inevitable that the Supreme Court will overturn it.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
What'sinaname
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by What'sinaname »

Trump lives rent free in the head of Colorado Democrat appointed justices
Fighting against the objectification of woman.
Jezza
Has liked: 176 times
Been liked: 243 times

Post by Jezza »

I anticipate SCOTUS overturning this decision?
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

stui magpie wrote:^

Ta for that, I agree on the age of the candidates, it's ridiculous. You think the US supreme court will overturn it? Is that because it's wrong at premise or because they're stacked with Trump appointments?
The bolded bit - the US judiciary, debacle that it is, splits on political lines.
pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

Yep, if Colorado was 4-3 and the Taliban federal Supreme Court allowed childbirth slavery, insurrection won't even register with them.
In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
What'sinaname

Post by What'sinaname »

The Dems are putting all of their eggs in the disqualification of Trump campaign as nothing else will save them in the next election.

And the delicious irony, Trump's ban from Twitter is helping him but keeping his bizarre comments off of the front page.
pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

Yeah, they're leaving things very late should they need a new candidate. Of course, that's why they're sending this and Trump's claim to presidential immunity to the Supremos now, but the timeline could easily blow up on them.

The parliamentary system is much better in this regard because more members of government or opposition are known quantities federally and can more readily assume leadership.
In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

What'sinaname wrote: And the delicious irony, Trump's ban from Twitter is helping him but keeping his bizarre comments off of the front page.
Nah, not really. His incredibly dumb comments are easily read in the newspapers, TV news programs and on YouTube etc. The ban from Twitter will not help him in the slightest other than arguably less than 1 %
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
What'sinaname

Post by What'sinaname »

I have been fortunate and blessed during the course of being vice president to have many situations where it becomes too clear me that there are people… of every age and gender, by the way, who see something about being the first that lets them know they don't need to be, um, limited by other people's limited, um, understanding of who can do what
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 46 times

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
What'sinaname

Post by What'sinaname »

Pies4shaw wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/dec/21/dukes-hazzard-actor-john-schneider-biden-execution
That would leave the articulate Kackler as President.