#11 Daniel McStay

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

RudeBoy
Been liked: 85 times

Post by RudeBoy »

I'm actually thinking Kreuger is the best replacement for Mcstay. We need someone who can smash the packs and bring the ball to ground so our fleet of small/medium smalls can do their thing. That is something Kreuger can do.
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 174 times
Been liked: 176 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

^ that's the downside of McStay going down. He could smash packs and kick goals.
Kreuger can smash packs, along with himself and his teammates. But missing the goals part of the equation.
While I hope that he's the one to come out and surprise us all, hope isn't a defined strategy.

McStay's omission will really test the ability of the coaching panel to come up with a plan to embark on another finals campaign without the lack of a twin focal point they traded McStay in to address.
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

RudeBoy wrote:I'm actually thinking Kreuger is the best replacement for Mcstay. We need someone who can smash the packs and bring the ball to ground so our fleet of small/medium smalls can do their thing. That is something Kreuger can do.
I agree but get the impression that Krueger doesn’t garner a hell of a lot of confidence from most Nicksters and the response to his possible selection is lukewarm at best
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
Boot
Been liked: 3 times

Post by Boot »

I'm not the biggest fan of Nathan Krueger as a key forward, but he should be bouyed by the loss of McStay at this time of the year as he has a whole pre-season to position himself for the role he was initially recruited for. Now is his time to grab the opportunity wth both hands and perform the Dan McStay role of a mobile target forward with a reliable conversion rate that doesn't allow the opposition key backs to mark the ball. Lots of improvement to Krueger's consistency, reliability and sustainability of his body in AFL conditions, but I think he should be given every opportunity to grasp this role as he at least has the physical attributes to be quite effective in the MCStay role.
Collingwood Domination. Envy of the Nation!
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 101 times

Post by Pies2016 »

For mine, the key to getting any continuity from Krueger, is to have him drop around 5 / 6 kilos. He just looks to big ( not overweight ) to be able to sustain his 2023 playing weight. Drop some weight, get around the park a bit easier and take some load off the legs in 2024.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
Dark Beanie
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Dark Beanie »

Krueger needs to be less kamikazee when he plays.
Always looks like he will hurt himself when he goes for marks. Leading he is Ok but when he has to get off the ground I hold my breath. Sometimes I think he tries to do too much.
If you are foolish enough to be contented, don't show it, but just grumble with the rest. - Jerome K Jerome
Clifton Hill-Billy
Been liked: 10 times

Post by Clifton Hill-Billy »

McStay is the new Sean Rusling or Lee Walker. Guy never got injured until pulling on black and white stripes. We messed up not going for a tall key forward, Frampton, Johnson and Krueger are not going to deliver us back to back premierships
"Hey Ma get off the dang roof!"
Jezza
Has liked: 175 times
Been liked: 235 times

Post by Jezza »

Clifton Hill-Billy wrote:McStay is the new Sean Rusling or Lee Walker.
Think you're mixing up McStay for Kreuger :wink:
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
Said by Zed
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Said by Zed »

Jezza wrote:
Not so sure….McStay’s injury record thus far…11 weeks with a finger injury (11 weeks!!! If I remember correctly Selwood once grew back a leg and Stevie J two knees in four!!!!), 8 weeks left knee, season right knee….by the time he’s back would have played just 25% or 14 games in 2 seasons….or the equivalence of $300k return on $1.2M investment (calculated at $600k a season salary).
The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men...
Said by Zed
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Said by Zed »

Similarly, Ash will surprise a few in 2024. He does have to work out his defensive game and his tendency to go missing for large parts, but if he does he can offer a point of difference. Yes, Mihocek might have to go back to his previous role but this may not be such a bad thing as he was probably more effective there anyway.
The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men...
Clifton Hill-Billy

Jezza wrote:
Haha but I'd put all of McStay, Rusling and Walker in the good players that Collingwood supporters haven't seen play due to injuries category, I'm not sure Krueger fits in that category. I hope that I get proven wrong but I can see anyone Krueger included offering our forward line what McStay would if fit
Culprit
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 36 times

Post by Culprit »

One door closes and another opens. With Shultz, Elliot, Checkers, and Hill as certain starters in the forward line. We then have we have a few options and players fighting for a spot. The Coaches will go for a horses-for-course approach unless someone dominates. IMO, Ash has to stand up this year and with another preseason under his belt, the spot is there if he truly wants it. Ash gets the consistency in his game he can dominate. Krueger shows a lot of potential and I say forget about the injuries. He just reminds me of Stephen Patterson many years ago. He looks like he's trying his guts when the balls already over the line and out of contention. Framptom has the size and learned a lot this year and even a small improvement we have a player that can go forward, back, and in the ruck. With Jack replaced by Shultz, I feel our forward line even without McStay is stronger and will be a worry for most oppositions.
lazzadesilva

Post by lazzadesilva »

Clifton Hill-Billy wrote:McStay is the new Sean Rusling or Lee Walker. Guy never got injured until pulling on black and white stripes. We messed up not going for a tall key forward, Frampton, Johnson and Krueger are not going to deliver us back to back premierships
Totally disagree with your assessment of our flag winning recruiting team. Given reasonable luck with injuries, we have the best chance in decades of winning consecutive premierships. Happy to refer back to this post in 2024.
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
Clifton Hill-Billy

^]

No McStay, we don't win the prelim and I don't think we can rely on a small forward like Bobby Hill to kick 4 or mids to kick unbelievable goals from beyond 50m. Sooner or later we are going to rely on a breakout game from our spearhead tall forwards in order towin a prelim or granny. Checkers has demonstrated he doesn't do this in big finals with the best defender hanging off him. Don't get me wrong, I hope that you are referring me back to this post calling me a doubting Thomas at the end of September but I reckon there's more chance I'll be doing the I told you so
lazzadesilva

Post by lazzadesilva »

CHB, with respect, let’s agree to disagree. I remain convinced that the club will adequately find a replacement for CHF and by the end of the season, they will be entrenched in the team for a starring role in the finals. I think Collingwood are professional enough to cover the gaps and to succeed in the finals.