#11 Daniel McStay

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

The Black and White Lion
Has liked: 196 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by The Black and White Lion »

Gutted for McStay. Something to look forward to in 2024 though.
Either way still gutted for McStay
Ed Allen kicked our last goal of the year at the 58minute mark
K
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by K »

Pies2016 wrote:He really kept Taylor on the back foot and that doesn’t happen very often.
We’re not kicking big scores and he’s averaged two goals a game since he’s come back.
The only consolation I can come up with, is that if it is the Lions, Payne will miss also and that means McStays replacement should at least hold his own against a lesser opponent.
Yeah, dunno where we'll get the goals from. :(

If Cameron were in better form, we could play Cox forward more. But Cameron's in bad form, and Cox is doing well in the ruck...

Suddenly makes Ash J's broken arm much more significant.
piffdog
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 46 times

Post by piffdog »

K wrote:
Pies2016 wrote:He really kept Taylor on the back foot and that doesn’t happen very often.
We’re not kicking big scores and he’s averaged two goals a game since he’s come back.
The only consolation I can come up with, is that if it is the Lions, Payne will miss also and that means McStays replacement should at least hold his own against a lesser opponent.
Yeah, dunno where we'll get the goals from. :(

If Cameron were in better form, we could play Cox forward more. But Cameron's in bad form, and Cox is doing well in the ruck...

Suddenly makes Ash J's broken arm much more significant.
Actually thought Cameron and Cox were pretty good on the weekend. Perhaps not their all time best, but better than they have been in the last month or six weeks.
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
inxs88
Been liked: 4 times

Post by inxs88 »

McStay is a two goal 4 mark a game guy. Think Cameron and Cox can achieve this as resting forwards vs recent times when either has been on the bench.
I love the Pies, hate Carlscum
burnsy17

Post by burnsy17 »

I’d bring Frampton in. Need to keep our shape….
Beware the swooping Magpie.
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 101 times

Post by Pies2016 »

inxs88 wrote:McStay is a two goal 4 mark a game guy. Think Cameron and Cox can achieve this as resting forwards vs recent times when either has been on the bench.
The only real difference is that one ( McStay ) knows how to play the position that much better than either Cox or Cameron, it doesn’t matter ……. except it will on the day.
Some are a bit harsh on McStay. He still managed to kick two against the Dees after completing a concussion test. Then he took it right up to Taylor ( 2022 AA key defender ) and kicked two on him in three quarters.
McStay really hasn’t done much wrong at all since missing half the season with finger tendon surgery.
The other problem is that Cox is playing quite well in the ruck and part of that is because he is rested regularly. So based on the two ruck combination, that would leave Cameron to spend more time up forward but he can’t be trusted kicking at goal or marking anything overhead.
piedys
Has liked: 332 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by piedys »

The Black and White Lion wrote:Gutted for McStay. Something to look forward to in 2024 though.

Either way still gutted for McStay
So sorry Dan; all those years a Lion and barely a soft tissue injury.
Welcome to Collingwood :?
M I L L A N E 4 2 forever
Jezza
Has liked: 175 times
Been liked: 236 times

Post by Jezza »

One of the hard luck stories of 2023, but was a big contributor in the lead up to the Grand Final.

I'm hoping he'll be highly motivated in 2024 to be a part of a Premiership tilt.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
neds elbow

McStay knee injury

Post by neds elbow »

princem007

Post by princem007 »

Poor bugger just got back from his MCL , spot there for Frampton now
Go Pies...Premiers 2010
What'sinaname
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 18 times

Post by What'sinaname »

princem007 wrote:Poor bugger just got back from his MCL , spot there for Frampton now
Ash Johnson. Frampton isn't a forward
Fighting against the objectification of woman.
Boot
Been liked: 3 times

Post by Boot »

What a disaster!
That is a real blow to the team as McStay's strength was a big asset to a relatively small forward line. Now that opens up a spot for Ash Johnston to cement a spot in the forward line and hopefully have a full season to flourish and be a consistent performer at the top level.
Also allows the likes of Reef McInnes, Aiden Begg and Nathan Kruger to step up in the pre-season with the aim of providing the marking target in our forward line.
Collingwood Domination. Envy of the Nation!
mgh3536

Post by mgh3536 »

Man if we are relying on Johnson we are in trouble

Evidence this far …inconsistent doesn’t apply pressure
MatthewBoydFanClub
Been liked: 1 time

Post by MatthewBoydFanClub »

I feared when we didn't take a key forward in the draft we would come up short if we suffered injuries to key players. I understand the reasons given for taking who we took, namely that the two fall within the requirements of our game plan. However you need key forwards to win matches. Johnson isn't a key forward. Mihocek is 31 years old. If Begg or Kreuger don't come up next year we are in big trouble of defending our premiership. This need not have happened.
mattdally
Has liked: 1 time

Post by mattdally »

I said this to my mates as soon as we had to move ovals to Vic Park we are increasing our risk of injury. That ground surface is not fit enough for local footy sessions.
Last edited by mattdally on Fri Dec 01, 2023 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.