Farewell #33 Jack Ginnivan

Use this forum for non-Collingwood related footy topics that don't relate specifically to any of the other forums. For non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar and for non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Newelly
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by Newelly »

stui magpie wrote:Look, people feel the way they feel, but at the end of the day this was a business transaction. Someone left one employer for another with the blessing of the former employer who made no effort to keep them.

Getting angry about it and assassinating his character isn't helpful or healthy. Let it go, it's done.

He is, was and always will be a Collingwood Premiership player. He's moved on, so should supporters.
I think there is nothing wrong with constructive debate around what constitutes a quality small forward. Helps to educate everyone myself included.
Chuffed to have seen 3 flag wins in my lifetime but still greedy for more.
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 98 times
Been liked: 118 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

SwansWay wrote:Lots of false equivalences here. You created an arbitrary 6 kick stat (because Jack had six kicks in the GF) to make a point claiming balance. So are you really looking at a stat sheet and ignoring all the additional metrics and 1%ers? I mean when you are listing defenders who are stoppers to help illustrate your point, I think you are grasping at straws. Yet oddly enough you bagged the crap out of the idea of us recruiting Tom Mitchell last year because according to you he was a spud. So if Tom’s useless possessions were worthless to you (at Hawthorn), based on your stat sheet logic, crude possession numbers either matter or they don’t. So the player you mocked was the difference between us winning a premiership or falling short with our bleeding at centre clearances or wasn’t he? Wait you mocked Tom and Bobby early on. You’re on a roll ;-)

Anyhoo, I know you were a fan of Jack’s but maybe it’s time to let it go now that we let him go. Two years running, we recruited two upgrades on Jack which is a clear message from the club of the level they wanted from him. If they wanted Jack he would’ve stayed.
I'm just sick of the arseholes who want to pretend that somehow Jack didn't "deserve" his flag. Your response is confused and indicates that you do not understand my perspective, at all - despite me setting it out repeatedly.

Let me have another go. I am happy with the Club's call. I just don't think there's any warrant for the disgusting character assassination. Jack is a Collingwood premiership player, now he's gone. Suggesting that some of the great chokers of the past deserve a premiership medal more than him - even though they couldn't get it done when it mattered - is deeply disappointing.
i hate carlton
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by i hate carlton »

Totally agree. Always enjoyed watching him play, and he was exciting to watch on the paddock. I'll miss him in the black and white.

He's kicking pineapples!

My favourite nicks thread (Laugh at Carlscum): http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/viewtopi ... sc&start=0
Piesnchess
Has liked: 202 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by Piesnchess »

stui magpie wrote:Look, people feel the way they feel, but at the end of the day this was a business transaction. Someone left one employer for another with the blessing of the former employer who made no effort to keep them.

Getting angry about it and assassinating his character isn't helpful or healthy. Let it go, it's done.

He is, was and always will be a Collingwood Premiership player. He's moved on, so should supporters.

OK, but in all my years of following footy, I can never , ever recall, a Premiership player, departing his Club, a mere two weeks after playing in a Premiership side for that club, never heard it before. If you can recall one, please enlighten me Stui, cos I believe there never has been one,in history. :? :?
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Piesnchess

Post by Piesnchess »

What'sinaname wrote:
Kingsofclutch wrote: With his speed he'd have to become a Medhurst type forward and I don't think he has the marking ability, deffo isn't becoming a defensive mid like he said.
Speed, what speed? Speed isn't really Ginni's asset. If anything, he'd be more like a James Hird and use his football nous to create goals. But he does need to improve his marking ability.

With all due respect, dont think Id be using Jack and James Hird in the same comparison, Hird was an out an out utter champion, a fantastic Captain, brilliant player, Jack cannot be remotely compared to Hird. :shock:
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

WhyPhilWhy?
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 26 times

Post by WhyPhilWhy? »

Piesnchess wrote:OK, but in all my years of following footy, I can never , ever recall, a Premiership player, departing his Club, a mere two weeks after playing in a Premiership side for that club, never heard it before. If you can recall one, please enlighten me Stui, cos I believe there never has been one,in history. :? :?
Buddy, Brandon Ellis, Lycett, Suckling, Luke Jackson, Mark LeCras...
jayaykay

Post by jayaykay »

True 'Pies fans will go to the ends of the Earth for their team!!
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

WhyPhilWhy? wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:OK, but in all my years of following footy, I can never , ever recall, a Premiership player, departing his Club, a mere two weeks after playing in a Premiership side for that club, never heard it before. If you can recall one, please enlighten me Stui, cos I believe there never has been one,in history. :? :?
See - it's never happened. :oops:
SwansWay

Post by SwansWay »

You could add Joel Hamling to that list too who only played because the Bulldogs were ravaged by some injuries in defence from memory. Usually when it does happen, it's generally because said player may not be in the best 22 going forward but could get a regular game elsewhere (Ellis, T. Adams, Suckling) and/or played in a premiership due to injuries (Hamling, Lycett).

The other category is the Godfather offers such as Buddy and Jackson. G. Ablett would have still gone to the Gold Coast should Geelong have won in 2010 instead of us. There was Cam Mooney as well but I can't remember those circumstances well.
What'sinaname
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 18 times

Post by What'sinaname »

Pies4shaw wrote:
WhyPhilWhy? wrote:
To be fair, he said there has never been ONE. And he is correct.
Fighting against the objectification of woman.
Kingsofclutch

Post by Kingsofclutch »

Flagpies
Piesnchess

Post by Piesnchess »

Pies4shaw wrote:
WhyPhilWhy? wrote:

Some of those players like Buddy, had much longer stints at their clubs than Jack, and did they walk within 2 weeks of the flag ?? The look on our Captains face on the Project show, stunned, told me all I need to know. :o

SwansWay

Post by SwansWay »

You're right. The unusual thing here is his age compared to others who moved on after a premiership. Had we won the 2002 GF, Nick Davis moved to the Swans the following year and would be on this list also. He was 22 when he left. But if I remember correctly, it was already known he was going before the finals.
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

What'sinaname wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
WhyPhilWhy? wrote: Buddy, Brandon Ellis, Lycett, Suckling, Luke Jackson, Mark LeCras...
To be fair, he said there has never been ONE. And he is correct.
Quite right. Mine was an impermissible overstatement. :lol: