Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player discussion

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

piffdog
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 54 times

Post by piffdog »

So 16 of the top 50 picks are “organic” (ie belonging to the original club that “earnt” them). The draft period is getting more and more dynamic with swaps, compensation, future picks etc. I’m sure the AFL are loving it!
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
Culprit
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 42 times

Post by Culprit »

piffdog wrote:So 16 of the top 50 picks are “organic” (ie belonging to the original club that “earnt” them). The draft period is getting more and more dynamic with swaps, compensation, future picks etc. I’m sure the AFL are loving it!
People are dying yet the AFL Trading is still front and centre. Of course, the AFL would be loving it.
jonmac1954
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 20 times

Post by jonmac1954 »

I wouldn't be calling the draft period dynamic I'd be calling it a meat market with the AFL's heavy hand all over the results.
piffdog
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 54 times

Post by piffdog »

Culprit wrote:
piffdog wrote:So 16 of the top 50 picks are “organic” (ie belonging to the original club that “earnt” them). The draft period is getting more and more dynamic with swaps, compensation, future picks etc. I’m sure the AFL are loving it!
People are dying yet the AFL Trading is still front and centre. Of course, the AFL would be loving it.
Thanks arbiter of moral conviction…

Of course what’s happening abroad is terrible, but you do realise this is a fan board for a sporting club right?
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
Take_a_Screamer

Post by Take_a_Screamer »

Ash Johnson...you beauty
Johnson Screamer @ https://www.afl.com.au/video/931485/joh ... -epic-mark? ❤️️
Take_a_Screamer

Q. How many draft players do each team have to take?
Ash Johnson...you beauty
slangman
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by slangman »

Take_a_Screamer wrote:Q. How many draft players do each team have to take?
Each club has to draft a minimum of three players in the National Draft.
- Side By Side -
Take_a_Screamer

Thanx
Ash Johnson...you beauty
K
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 23 times

Post by K »

LaurieHolden wrote:
bucking awesome wrote:I just dont get the hatred for the Pies in the media. Tom Morris on SEN said that pick 19 for Schultz isnt enough because he is contracted yet in the very same sentence he goes on to say pick 25 for Taylor Adams is too much because even though he is contracted he is older

Adams has delivered much much more than Schultz. Factoring in his age v output I would say pick 25 for Adams that then goes to Freo is about right. I could probably live with pick 19 going and keeping pick 25 from Sydney given after all the academy kids are picked up both picks will be lower - its unlikely there will be a superstar at wither or those picks in the draft.

Some balanced reporting might be nice though
Hatred? C'mon, that's a long bow to draw.
Stop for a moment and consider that maybe it's not about the value of a players pick in comparison, it's about the value of the player relative to the role the bidding Club requires to be filled.
Ever been to an auction? There's always surprises to what people are prepared to pay, if it matches their requirements.

FWIW, I won't be surprised if we trade our future first for Shultz.
Cal Twomey reckons Schultz is one of the biggest names that'll move this trade period.

Underrated 'cos of the interstate effect. Just like Witts at GC. (In hindsight, we traded out the wrong ruckman.)

BTW if the deal gets done, Lachie S. will become like Lachie K. (There's a thread on this topic!! Can be avoided by just calling them "Lachie S." and "Lachie K". Also, "Lachie N". Works as long as "Lachie" is right!!)
Kingsofclutch

Post by Kingsofclutch »

slangman wrote:
Take_a_Screamer wrote:Q. How many draft players do each team have to take?
Each club has to draft a minimum of three players in the National Draft.
You can also upgrade someone like Johnson and just take 2 national draft picks, Markov is the other candidate, I'd be moving Richards to the rookie list too, he's looking like a rare miss from last year.
Last edited by Kingsofclutch on Thu Oct 12, 2023 11:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
Flagpies
Jamie is only 19
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Jamie is only 19 »

qldmagpie67 wrote:
Pies2016 wrote:The reality is, there’s not a lot of difference between # 25 and # 33 in this draft ( other than the obvious 8 spots earlier) This draft is a crap shoot after after about # 10 onwards and hardly a tall worth taking a punt on from about #20 onwards. Given the deal was done so quickly, I would think both clubs have bigger fish to fry than to have this still be undecided by early next week. Let’s be honest here, for a great leader and clubman, Collingwood couldn’t get the deal done quick enough. The win is in the salary cap relief, not a few spots either way in a very speculative draft.
Exactly I think the club rewarded his leadership and heart by getting it done quickly as a sign of respect

I’m hearing a little rumour we are trying to manufacture a way to get into the top #10 as we are very keen on Connor O’Sullivan
Geelong’s pick 7 is available apparently so it might be our pick #19 this year and a future first rounder and a possible pick exchange or 2 might see us land pick #7 with us looking to a replacement for Howe
Watch this space but I know the question is being asked behind closed doors

We have already offered up #19 to Freo as a starting point ???
Smells like Pies Spirit
Jamie is only 19
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Jamie is only 19 »

qldmagpie67 wrote:
Pies2016 wrote:The reality is, there’s not a lot of difference between # 25 and # 33 in this draft ( other than the obvious 8 spots earlier) This draft is a crap shoot after after about # 10 onwards and hardly a tall worth taking a punt on from about #20 onwards. Given the deal was done so quickly, I would think both clubs have bigger fish to fry than to have this still be undecided by early next week. Let’s be honest here, for a great leader and clubman, Collingwood couldn’t get the deal done quick enough. The win is in the salary cap relief, not a few spots either way in a very speculative draft.
Exactly I think the club rewarded his leadership and heart by getting it done quickly as a sign of respect

I’m hearing a little rumour we are trying to manufacture a way to get into the top #10 as we are very keen on Connor O’Sullivan
Geelong’s pick 7 is available apparently so it might be our pick #19 this year and a future first rounder and a possible pick exchange or 2 might see us land pick #7 with us looking to a replacement for Howe

Smells like Pies Spirit
jonmac1954

Post by jonmac1954 »

Jamie is only 19 wrote:
qldmagpie67 wrote:

With Tay gone his replacement is the more immediate need.
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 185 times
Been liked: 178 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

Lochie O'Brien is among three players delisted by Carlton.

O'Brien, taken with pick No.10 in the 2017 draft, leaves the Blues after playing 66 games in six seasons, including six in 2023.
https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp- ... ie-o-brien

Lachie O’Brien has spoken to Collingwood in regards to a possible move as a delisted free agent. Collingwood were keen in 2020 and Brendan Bolton sees him as an Oleg Markov mk 2.
Source :
https://x.com/IncrediblyBozza/status/17 ... 10098?s=20

Lochie O’Brien is a professional Australian rules footballer who currently plays for Carlton Football Club in the Australian Football League (AFL). However, there have been reports that Collingwood Football Club is interested in acquiring him 2., 3.
2. https://7news.com.au/sport/afl/collingw ... -c-1560436
3. https://www.zerohanger.com/afl-trade-ne ... 021-69709/
Source :
ChatGPT4 (albeit from 2020 stories, so nothing current)

Given we were into him back in 2020, no doubt Bolton has the insight here. Might just be worth a rookie punt.

If anything, it's very important we take the opportunity to do everything we can do to play 100 games with Collingwood and rub Carlton's nose in it!

Then again, if he had untapped potential, I would have thought SOS might have looked at him to join the Saints.
Last edited by LaurieHolden on Thu Oct 12, 2023 10:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
Pies2016
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 113 times

Post by Pies2016 »

K wrote:
LaurieHolden wrote:
bucking awesome wrote:I just dont get the hatred for the Pies in the media. Tom Morris on SEN said that pick 19 for Schultz isnt enough because he is contracted yet in the very same sentence he goes on to say pick 25 for Taylor Adams is too much because even though he is contracted he is older

Adams has delivered much much more than Schultz. Factoring in his age v output I would say pick 25 for Adams that then goes to Freo is about right. I could probably live with pick 19 going and keeping pick 25 from Sydney given after all the academy kids are picked up both picks will be lower - its unlikely there will be a superstar at wither or those picks in the draft.

Some balanced reporting might be nice though
Hatred? C'mon, that's a long bow to draw.
Stop for a moment and consider that maybe it's not about the value of a players pick in comparison, it's about the value of the player relative to the role the bidding Club requires to be filled.
Ever been to an auction? There's always surprises to what people are prepared to pay, if it matches their requirements.

FWIW, I won't be surprised if we trade our future first for Shultz.
Cal Twomey reckons Schultz is one of the biggest names that'll move this trade period.

Underrated 'cos of the interstate effect

Schultz is a fine player at his role and that’s why we should prepare to part with more than #19 to get this deal done. Right now ( after Jordon Croft nominated the Bulldogs under F / S rules ) pick #19 will be something closer to #24 on the night. That’s not enough for a player who should manage around 40 goals every year for the next five years ( injury aside )

We may part with our future first and that should be close to enough because there won’t be as much action in the way of compensation and academy selections next year ( but there will be two early F / S selections ) From Freo’s view point, anything less than Pies going back to back should be enough for them to feel like a future first round trade is a fair outcome.