Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player discussion

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

jonmac1954
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 20 times

Post by jonmac1954 »

Shultz is the victim of a less than amazing midfield at his current digs and should benefit from a move - consider also he is capable of doing midfield rotations and is a tough cookie - sounds like the best available replacement for Tay.

Deeply saddened by Tay wanting to leave - we will miss his toughness and passion.

Worried for Ginni - like others before him he can be the real deal.

Hopefully Fly and Jacqui can find the key to unlocking his potential.
woodys_world69
Been liked: 25 times

Post by woodys_world69 »

Schultz for the right price.
not overs....thats the key. otherwise we just get him next year.

and MANY Managers use Collingwood to get their player in the news. i wouldnt be surprised if we havent even had more then 1 call with his manager... and highly doubt if we have done a physical exam on him.

what usually happens "some random player wants to get back to VIC... says they want to go to collingwood.... collingwood say get lost loser" and now they are in the news other clubs in VIC know hes gettable and make a 11th hour bid for him because all there other prospects have fallen through

its like 101 of AFL trading
WhyPhilWhy?
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by WhyPhilWhy? »

piffdog wrote:I don't know where the Ginnivan chat is coming from...
I didn't think much of some Richmond mates mouthing off until Fly's "read the room" comment and then Ginni turning up at Mad Monday in jockey silks.

He either has a VERY healthy relationship with the coach or that was a #$%^ you.
What'sinaname
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by What'sinaname »

Pies4shaw wrote:Happy for the Club to pursue Schultz, if he's who they want to bring in. I think, though, that people need to be a bit slower to assign Jack to the scrapheap of life - Schultz is 5 years older than Ginni, has never kicked more than 33 goals in a season (2023) - Ginni kicked 40 in a season before he turned 20 - and averages 1.1 goals per game over 4 full seasons (compared to Ginni's 1.4). Schultz could be a good addition - but he might be a replacement for Ginni in the same way that Darcy Moore replaced Travis Cloke.
Yes, but Ginni’s trajectory is more like John Anthony and Chris Dawes.
Fighting against the objectification of woman.
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 109 times
Been liked: 124 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

Giinivan doesn't have a "trajectory", yet - he's just a baby. What he does have is an almost unique record:

Complete list of all Collingwood players in the last 60 seasons who have kicked 40 goals in a season before they turned 20:

Peter Daicos
Jack Ginnivan

Be very careful what you wish for.
Haff
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 41 times

Post by Haff »

Would love if we just turn Adams into Schultz but i think Freo will want more but we are in the window so just give them 18 (Or whatever it blows out to) and then some nominal pick back the other way.

If we can get Grundy's $$$ off the books, even if we say to Sydney, right take Adams for pick 85, we'll pay Grundy this season but thats it, then next season BANG, war chest for that big FF we have been craving for ohhhh so long.

Gini, take him or leave him really. Seems a one trick pony and that trick was taken away from him by the AFL last season.
The match day thread is for unfiltered BS knee jerk reactions. The time for level headed comment comes after.
Boot
Been liked: 3 times

Post by Boot »

Tom Hawkins will never leave Geelong as a player. He will either play another year at Geelong or retire.
Collingwood has McStay, Mihocek as key forwards, with Kruger and Johnston as standby players if they can get fit and Aiden Begg as a development option who I have high hopes for a breakout year in 2024.

Taylor Adams is a big loss for his leadership and hardness. Lachie Shultz is a reasonable replacement for Adams who can probably kick more goals.

The young brigade of Allan, Carmichael and Macrae should get opportunity next year to get time in the midfield to replace the aging Pendlebury and Sidebottom at the end of next season. I would love to see Ed Allan develop to be as good as Tom Green at GWS.
Collingwood Domination. Envy of the Nation!
npalm
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by npalm »

I have no desire to lose Ginnivan. He is a talent and still has plenty of time to grow up and become a consistently good AFL player.
P4S, you make a lot of Ginnivan's 40 goal season, but that was achieved with an extraordinarily high number of free kicks (averaging 1.5 per game). Compare this to Elliot and Hill, who average about 0.5 frees per game.

Jack is never going to get that number of frees again. Given all the hype about his staging for frees, the umpires are now only giving him frees for the most blatant infringements.
Side by side.
jonmac1954
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 20 times

Post by jonmac1954 »

Ginni is a conundrum - definitely has a footy brain but (so far) has yet to demonstrate the dedication to apply it consistently.`

As for Shultz - as others have said - we are in the window (this coming season) and then we will lose Pendles and Howe and perhaps Billy.

So Shultz and perhaps another tall back line option and start putting ground time into our own young midfield options.
piffdog
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 54 times

Post by piffdog »

Haff wrote: war chest for that big FF we have been craving for ohhhh so long.
I personally am not craving a big ff. Don’t see the appeal. Tom Lynch spent all season on the sidelines and Richmond were nowhere without one key player taking up a large part of their cap. Charlie Curnow beat up on West Coast and didn’t fire a shot in the finals - and is taking up a large part of their cap. The two best key forwards in my opinion are Toby Greene and Jeremy Cameron - neither of whom are particularly big - but at least they are durable.

I acknowledge that we dont have absolute guns, we do have a good mix of tall and small and the cap is shared equally among them to the point where we didn’t have McStay in the GF and our structure and function held up. I think a hybrid forward line is the way forward - whoever happens to be wearing the guernseys.
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
Pies2016
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 113 times

Post by Pies2016 »

Probably the smart thing to do regarding Ginnivan, is to remain open minded rather than feel the need to form any pre judgements about his prospects in 2024 and beyond. The kid was huge as a 19 year old and took shortcuts as a 20 year old. Some learn from that and some don’t.
The lad has talent and plenty of it but what he now knows is that he needs to lift his work rate in the pre season if he wants to play seniors every week in 2024. The club will soon work out just how committed Jack is to improving himself by about Feb, next year. We’re all going to be in a much better position by the end of 2024 to form opinions as to how much being a committed professional footballer ranks in his life.

As for Schultz, let’s not down play the defensive side of his game either and that’s an area where he currently has Jack well and truly covered.
He didn’t finish fifth and sixth in their last two B and Fs on the back of kicking just over a goal a game and nothing more every week.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 69 times
Been liked: 139 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

I love Murph but health is more important than footy. It’s not too late to get back into cricket either! If true, GWS’s Fleeton would be a good replacement.
blackandwhite4life

Post by blackandwhite4life »

Historically we have had a good record trading with Freo. Think James Clement, Brodie Holland, Paul Medhurst....even the Taz trade.

Schultz looks the goods and could continue that record.

I'm not buying into the "Ginni is in trouble" camp. The football world would love to push Jack out of Collingwood, the same way they salivated at Jordy being pushed out a year or so ago. We know better.
Hearing the 'Black & White Army' roar is the greatest sound in the world.
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 181 times
Been liked: 178 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

^
According to AFL Tables, 21 y/o Cameron Fleeton was drafted at #58 by the Giants in 2020 and has played a total of two games, both in the 2023 season.
Fleeton is a general defender with a height of 192 cm and weight of 89 kg.
He was delisted by the Giants after their preliminary final exit.
A 21 y/o weighing 89kg to replace Murphy, c'mon...
In any event, if we're trying to replace him, is Charlie Dean that far behind Fleeton? I think I can speak for the whole community; no-one would have seen Fleeton play a game let alone be able to assess if he would be a good replacement.
Let's wait to see what the medical assessment is on Muphy before cleaning out his locker.
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 69 times
Been liked: 139 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Huh I was told fleeton was like for like with Murph size wise. Not a lot of highlights to watch, any idea why he was on the outer at GWS other than surplus to their needs? Murph is family at the pies, be hard to replace that if he has to retire.