Pre-Grand Final. Magpies v. Lions. All comments.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

Magpietothemax
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

David wrote:^ That's why I want him in the 22, not as the sub!
Yes, that is what I think.
However, i cannot find a clear way to get him into the 22. Who would be the sub instead?
Lipinski: yes and no. Yes because his form hasn't been great, but no because then we would be further stripping back our midfield (already without Tay) and because having Lippa as sub does not provide a definite impact
WHE: no. He has been brilliant in the finals. He has gone in hard, and his skills and experience are invaluable. He can also play forward as well in defence.
Frampton: no. He should play as rotational second ruck: takes some centre contests, and provides a target down the line, giving Cox/Cameron time outs. It makes no sense to have Frampton as sub, if his role is to be second ruckman to fill in for Cox/Cameron going forward.
Markov: no. He is now an integral part of the defence
McCreery: no We will need him to play a shut down role on Coleman, from word go.
Pendles,Sidey,Cox,Cameron,Moore,IQ,JDG,Mitchell, Jaicos,Naicos,Hill,Checkers,JemH, Darcy, Bruzza,Crisp,Murph No!!

Cannot see how Ginni into the 22 happens.
Last edited by Magpietothemax on Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
Skids
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 38 times

Post by Skids »

Ginni stays sub. At half time, or thereabouts we take off one of the rucks.
29 degrees. Hit McInerney hard from the start.
Don't count the days, make the days count.
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

Skids wrote:Ginni stays sub. At half time, or thereabouts we take off one of the rucks.
Yep...sounds like the right plan. Either at haff time, or half way through the third, McInerney by now in hyperthermia, one of the rucks come off for Ginni to create havoc
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
Damien
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by Damien »

Magpietothemax wrote:
Skids wrote:Ginni stays sub. At half time, or thereabouts we take off one of the rucks.
Yep...sounds like the right plan. Either at haff time, or half way through the third, McInerney by now in hyperthermia, one of the rucks come off for Ginni to create havoc
That would be risky, but you gotta risk it for the biscuit. Maybe halfway through the 3rd but maybe… thats part of the Frampton plan.
'Collingwood are the Bradmans of Football'
The Herald - 1930
What'sinaname
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 18 times

Post by What'sinaname »

Agree. I would start Ginnivan. We need a runner as the sub to cover potential injury but, importantly, to provide fresh legs.

Lippa as the sub
Fighting against the objectification of woman.
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 45 times

Post by David »

Magpietothemax wrote:
Yes, that is what I think.
However, i cannot find a clear way to get him into the 22. Who would be the sub instead?
Lipinski: yes and no. Yes because his form hasn't been great, but no because then we would be further stripping back our midfield (already without Tay) and because having Lippa as sub does not provide a definite impact
WHE: no. He has been brilliant in the finals. He has gone in hard, and his skills and experience are invaluable. He can also play forward as well in defence.
Frampton: no. He should play as rotational second ruck: takes some centre contests, and provides a target down the line, giving Cox/Cameron time outs. It makes no sense to have Frampton as sub, if his role is to be second ruckman to fill in for Cox/Cameron going forward.
Markov: no. He is now an integral part of the defence
McCreery: no We will need him to play a shut down role on Coleman, from word go.
Pendles,Sidey,Cox,Cameron,Moore,IQ,JDG,Mitchell, Jaicos,Naicos,Hill,Checkers,JemH, Darcy, Bruzza,Crisp,Murph No!!

Cannot see how Ginni into the 22 happens.
Points taken, but I’d still be happy with either McCreery or Hoskin-Elliott as sub.

Is McCreery actually capable of playing a shut-down role on someone like Coleman? I’m not sure that’s where his value lies.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
WhyPhilWhy?
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 26 times

Post by WhyPhilWhy? »

I think there's a case for Frampton as sub.

He is pretty quick for a big guy and seems to have a reasonable tank.

Him coming on fresh in the second half for Cameron may run McInerney off his feet.
npalm
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by npalm »

You need some luck to win a GF and at the moment luck is running against us - the Adams & McStay injuries, the weather forecast and the bs Brownlow win ( which will lift the Lions but won't distract Neale given its his second).

Haven't given up, but I'm hoping the next few days bring a marked change in our fortunes.
Side by side.
Piethagoras' Theorem
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Piethagoras' Theorem »

WhyPhilWhy? wrote:I think there's a case for Frampton as sub.

He is pretty quick for a big guy and seems to have a reasonable tank.

Him coming on fresh in the second half for Cameron may run McInerney off his feet.
He would be my pick for sub
Formally frankiboy and FrankieGoesToCollingwood.
MagpiesTheGreat

Post by MagpiesTheGreat »

Cameron to ruck 95% of the first half, then sub off with Ginni coming on.
Cox to ruck 95% of the second half, with Frampton providing a bit of release for him.
23 YIPPEE!!!

Post by 23 YIPPEE!!! »

Who thinks the brisbane have a similar game style as gws i do.

They get you on the fast break and its all out the back.

Break and its case of getting out the back cameron rayner etc.....

they just run on.

we must keep everything in front and push through from there.

i think gws is better then the blues as well hell of alot better at that.

gws and lions same type of style.

but im confident that we play to our plans and winning formular we will win this.

the teams got great belivef as well

always thought we should not have played in the 2018 gf and that we were even lucky to play tigers in the preliminary.

this time around has a different feel

we are the real deal this time.

bring it home
23 YIPPEE!!!

Post by 23 YIPPEE!!! »

under Fly must say we are very well drilled as well.

Well drilled and done well outfit.
woodys_world69
Been liked: 25 times

Post by woodys_world69 »

MagpiesTheGreat wrote:Cameron to ruck 95% of the first half, then sub off with Ginni coming on.
Cox to ruck 95% of the second half, with Frampton providing a bit of release for him.
cox gets injured before half time and gets subbed out, and Cameron has to ruck the whole game or rest up forward and frampton has to do a lot more ruck work.

no thanks way too risky IMO
Charlie Oneeye
Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by Charlie Oneeye »

The pattern so far, when holding a lead in the 4th, is to hold on by tightening all defensive options.

This has worked well more times than not, but damn scary.

%$^, I hope we are 15 goals in front by half-time, lol.
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 174 times
Been liked: 176 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

Weather ~
if heat does indeed become a factor and players do indeed tire, we have depth and rotation options through the engine room in a group consisting of JDG, Mitchell, Pendlebury, Naicos, Crisp. Weather is not going to be a factor in what ultimately gets us a win, it's all above the shoulders and belief in our system.

Previous form ~
last time at the Gabba we were without our ruckmen in Cameron and Cox, McStay and Johnson shouldered that task.
At Marvel we had no Moore, Hill, Cox, Naicos and JDG.

Venue ~
the MCG won't bring any fond memories for the Brions. 10 out of 11 losses under Fagan. They haven't won at the MCG since the semi against Melbourne in 2022. Then were smashed by Geelong by 71 points in the Prelim.
Prior to that it was 2014 (ironically against us). But 2014 has as much relevance today as the release of the iPhone 6 in the same year. This year is a completely different model.
Many say this won't be a factor. But anyone that has played footy knows of a venue you had to travel to that automatically brought doubts before you even step out on the turf. The MCG is theirs.

Defence ~
the Brions talisman is Harris Andrews. At the Gabba he's guarded the entrance to their goals like a sentinel. But it's harder to defend space at the MCG and this is where we can take full advantage of it. As a result, Frampton makes perfect sense to me. He'll lead wide, hopefully dragging Andrews with him, therefore creating gaps in the Lions defence. Andrews can't defend them all.

Forwards ~
the Brions key forwards have played on average < 15% of their total games and kicked < 15% of their goals at the MCG.
From an accuracy standpoint, only Hipwood (59% / 75%) is more accurate at the MCG. Cameron goes from 62% to 50%.

Eric Hipwood has played 152 games for 229 goals / 172 behinds. In 13 games at the MCG he has kicked 27:9, with a 1-0-12 W/D/L ratio.
Charlie Cameron has played 201 games for 357 goals / 216 behinds. In 20 games at the MCG he has kicked 24:24, with a 6-1-13 W/D/L ratio.
Joe Daniher has played 176 games for 334 goals / 236 behinds. In 41 games at the MCG he has kicked 76:24, with a 6-1-13 W/D/L ratio.

This is how I think they might line up:

IN: Frampton
OUT: McStay

F: Elliott, Mihocek, McCreery
B: Lester, Gardiner, Starcevich

HF: Hill, Cox, WHE
HB: McKenna, Andrews, Coleman

C: Crisp, JDG, Jaicos
C: McCluggage, Dunkley, Zorko

FOL: Cameron, Mitchell, Pendlebury
FOL: McInerney, Neale, Berry

HB: Quaynor, Murphy, Naicos
HF: Cameron, Hipwood, Bailey

B: Maynard, Moore, Howe
F: Rayner, Daniher, Ah Chee

I/C: Lipinski, Frampton, Markov, Sidebottom
I/C: Robertson, McCarthy, Fletcher, Wilmot

SUB: Ginnivan
SUB: Lyons

Naicos mightn't have taken the Brownlow, but I reckon he'll turn in a performance that we'll be talking about for years. Get on him for the Normie.
And our father son legacies will lead the way.
I'd like to see Naicos play off the HBF and take the kick ins. He simply hits targets, then his gut running will still see him in the chain going forward and in turn blowing up his opponent.

Make it uncomfortable from the bounce, smash them in the contest. And let's see the bait and switch return. Crowd one wing and switch the play, causing kaos in their defence.

No.16 is coming our way.

Smash 'em lads!

ps' if it is permitted and his hamstring would stand up, use Adams as a runner!
Last edited by LaurieHolden on Thu Sep 28, 2023 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers