Pre-Grand Final. Magpies v. Lions. All comments.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

Said by Zed
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Said by Zed »

Mr Miyagi wrote:
Damien wrote:We DON’T need Frampton as a ruckman. We have two already, one more than them. IF he comes in, he either goes forward (mistake) or he takes Daniher and Howe goes forward.

Frampton Hasn’t played at the top level for a long time. Risky I reckon.

IMHO I’d bring in Noble. Rayner would be a good match up for Noble.

Forward line: Elliott becomes more of a leading/marking target and Cox drifts forward at times too.

Backline: Moore/Murphy on Daniher/Hipwood.
Yep, this. No way in hell do we need Frampton to ruck. I’d only play him if we have a need for a tall on tall match up. Same for Nobes. We need to bring someone in for McStay, question is do we need another forward or a matchup elsewhere. I’m hoping Ginnivan starts on the ground too.
This would be Fagan’s best case scenario and exactly what they would want…

Frampton in for McStay and time as ruck (which he has done to great success previously) allows Mason to spend more time forward creating a 211 cm headache for the Lions for longer…shouldn’t get out marked and at the least brings Bobby and Billy into it more, inturn allows Mihocek more freedom too. This also preserves our rucks for longer.

Similarly would allow swap with Howe if required. Frampton is cherry ripe and a big body bursting to go exactly what is needed early in a GF. Fly can then pull the trigger late in 3rd and bring in Ginni to exploit the tiring bodies up forward.

Don’t worry the coaches are innovative quick thinkers and have relied on effective strategies all year… they’ve got this.
The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men...
Haff
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 41 times

Post by Haff »

I think we, and many others, are missing the not so subtle change in flys coaching and the teams plan.

The two finals have been hard pressure footy. They have not been free flowing.

They have been win the hard ball, they have been do the hard things, they have been structure to not get hurt in a low scoring affair.

I dont see that changing for the granny. Its almost Buckleyesk but better.

So fly wants structure, he wants someone to make HA accountable. Frampton will come in and play forward, Cox will float forward to bring the ball to ground. Nothing surer in my mind.
The match day thread is for unfiltered BS knee jerk reactions. The time for level headed comment comes after.
Damien
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by Damien »

Obviously I wasn’t in the Frampton camp but I’m warming to him. Some compelling arguments put forward in this thread. Starting to feel that big strong bodies is the way to go in the Grand Final.
'Collingwood are the Bradmans of Football'
The Herald - 1930
stui magpie
Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 95 times

Post by stui magpie »

Exactly. Frampton in for McStay keeps the same structure, plus provides added flexibility.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
piffdog
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 46 times

Post by piffdog »

Haff wrote:I think we, and many others, are missing the not so subtle change in flys coaching and the teams plan.

The two finals have been hard pressure footy. They have not been free flowing.

They have been win the hard ball, they have been do the hard things, they have been structure to not get hurt in a low scoring affair.

I dont see that changing for the granny. Its almost Buckleyesk but better.

So fly wants structure, he wants someone to make HA accountable. Frampton will come in and play forward, Cox will float forward to bring the ball to ground. Nothing surer in my mind.
Feel a bit like this also. Hard to reconcile the last couple weeks with our game against them in rd 23. There is zero chance (IMO) that both teams score 100+ points on Saturday like they did back then. Begs the question, were either one or both of the coaches sandbagging back then? Remember lions had to win to lock up a home final - so I suspect they were playing to win. It wouldn’t surprise me if we deliberately chose to play a little different.
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
Woods Of Ypres
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Woods Of Ypres »

I’m worried about Charlie Cameron, he has beaten IQ on almost every occasion.
Deja Vu

Post by Deja Vu »

No doubt in my mind we didn't do everything possible to win in Round 22.

Paraphrasing Leigh Matthews - Howe was playing forward and Darcy was injured early in the game. If Collingwood absolutely had to win that game the obvious move was to send Howe down back. But we didn't, he stayed up forward. Why?

Because we had locked away home finals and had earned the ability to try a few things. Brisbane on the other hand were still trying to secure their top 2 position.

Make of that what you will
BazBoy
Been liked: 37 times

Post by BazBoy »

I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
Haff
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 41 times

Post by Haff »

Deja Vu wrote:No doubt in my mind we didn't do everything possible to win in Round 22.

Paraphrasing Leigh Matthews - Howe was playing forward and Darcy was injured early in the game. If Collingwood absolutely had to win that game the obvious move was to send Howe down back. But we didn't, he stayed up forward. Why?

Because we had locked away home finals and had earned the ability to try a few things. Brisbane on the other hand were still trying to secure their top 2 position.

I said it at the time. Pies working on plan B. No need to win, top 2 sewn up. Howe playing forward and staying forward cemented that.
The match day thread is for unfiltered BS knee jerk reactions. The time for level headed comment comes after.
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 129 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Fly said they were tinkering with a few things with those last few rounds we looked off.
What'sinaname
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 18 times

Post by What'sinaname »

Woods Of Ypres wrote:I’m worried about Charlie Cameron, he has beaten IQ on almost every occasion.
Cameron will kill anyone when given acres of space. Also, GFs are rarely the place where a small forward excels.

Quite the contrary, small forwards typically go missing in a high pressure game.
Fighting against the objectification of woman.
swoop42
Been liked: 3 times

Post by swoop42 »

After being given the fright of their lives against Carlton in the 1st quarter I'd expect that to be a real focus for Fagan this week.

We need to be every bit as ready for manic pressure as they should from the opening bounce and I'll be happy if we can take their best shot, absorb it and break even at 1/4 time.

In trying to make sure they don't replicate their start against Carlton I'm hoping they might use up more petrol tickets than they'd like in quarter one for no genuine scoreboard advantage.

Us bringing the better pressure across the entire 4 quarters is as much a key as anything to winning the Premiership.
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
BazBoy
Been liked: 37 times

Post by BazBoy »

It’s going to be a footy match but with a bloody big prize

It’ll be the fight in the dog and not the dog on the fight

We have shown over 52 games under Fly we have a bit of that
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
Pebbles Rocks

Post by Pebbles Rocks »

Damien wrote:We DON’T need Frampton as a ruckman. We have two already, one more than them. IF he comes in, he either goes forward (mistake) or he takes Daniher and Howe goes forward.

Frampton Hasn’t played at the top level for a long time. Risky I reckon.

IMHO I’d bring in Noble. Rayner would be a good match up for Noble.

Forward line: Elliott becomes more of a leading/marking target and Cox drifts forward at times too.

Backline: Moore/Murphy on Daniher/Hipwood.
Both Frampton and Noble last played in round 24 so the risk of playing either is much the same
"You must be a parking ticket, cuz you got fine written all over you" Glen Quagmire
piffdog
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 46 times

Post by piffdog »

Deja Vu wrote:No doubt in my mind we didn't do everything possible to win in Round 22.

From memory we were only 12 points down at 3/4 time. Murphy went off early in the last and I think they might have finally moved Howe back - but only after we had that 4 goal burst in about 7 minutes in the third.
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...