Pre-Grand Final. Magpies v. Lions. All comments.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

Damien
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by Damien »

We DON’T need Frampton as a ruckman. We have two already, one more than them. IF he comes in, he either goes forward (mistake) or he takes Daniher and Howe goes forward.

Frampton Hasn’t played at the top level for a long time. Risky I reckon.

IMHO I’d bring in Noble. Rayner would be a good match up for Noble.

Forward line: Elliott becomes more of a leading/marking target and Cox drifts forward at times too.

Backline: Moore/Murphy on Daniher/Hipwood.
'Collingwood are the Bradmans of Football'
The Herald - 1930
piffdog
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 46 times

Post by piffdog »

Noble has t played the last few either and I feel like Rayner would be too strong for him.

I little bit worried about how we would contend if we lost a tall for some reason so maybe that gives Frampton the nod. I’d prefer him forward than back as a starting proposition. First and only job, do not let Harris Andrews intercept. If he does that and has bigger all stats himself that would be huge.

As an aside, Fly has been to I think 8-9 grand finals. 9! Four at brissy, three at Richmond, was with the pies in 2011. Now this is his first time as a head coach, but between him and Vossy, there is a low chance that we are making rookie mistakes on Saturday. Surely that will give the boys a level of comfort and confidence knowing their coaches have seen it all before… (I hope so!)
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
eddiesmith
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by eddiesmith »

Damien wrote:We DON’T need Frampton as a ruckman. We have two already, one more than them. IF he comes in, he either goes forward (mistake) or he takes Daniher and Howe goes forward.

Forward line: Elliott becomes more of a leading/marking target and Cox drifts forward at times too.

His last game was also Nobles last game… :roll:
Damien
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by Damien »

Either of them is a risk but someone has to come in. Noble less risky I reckon but Frampton had the black jumper on today and Noble was in white. I’ve faith in our selectors.
'Collingwood are the Bradmans of Football'
The Herald - 1930
Take_a_Screamer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 17 times

Post by Take_a_Screamer »

One of best interviews of the year!!
Don't miss it!

Scott Pendlebury, Jay Clark and Ross Lyon.
Talking about the team, tactics and GF.

https://youtu.be/HnJRXb0zUyg?si=__LrRZGe61fvyfOa
Last edited by Take_a_Screamer on Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ash Johnson...you beauty
Johnson Screamer @ https://www.afl.com.au/video/931485/joh ... -epic-mark? ❤️️
eddiesmith
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by eddiesmith »

Damien wrote:Either of them is a risk but someone has to come in. Noble less risky I reckon but Frampton had the black jumper on today and Noble was in white. I’ve faith in our selectors.
I have faith in them keeping the balance that has been successful all year. Bringing in a small defender for a key forward is not the best option.

Frampton is the least risk cos of that structure, Krueger the most risky due to failure to finish games.
dalyc
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by dalyc »

My take fwiw is Ginni comes in to the 22, WHE plays CHF, Frampton is the sub.

To my way of thinking this has the least impact on our structure but gives us flexibility if Plan A isn’t working.
Four legged animals good, two legged animals better
Pep

Post by Pep »

Bit of Billy Frampton pump up! He has played 15 games this season, so he is one our first choice depth players and has played well when in. I actually can't remember if he has had a poor game this year. I

At 201cm and 100Kg he is a tougher match up than most might think. he can play back, forward and ruck.

Kicked 7 goals this year (from 10 shots), so he has the ability to kick goals when given the chance.

Disposal Eff. of 71.4%. He's rated elite in hit outs.

With the Lions tall forwards and Omac, Andrews and possibly Payne. He gives greater flexibility to throw magnets aground. And could free up Murph and Howe to be the spoil or intercepters if he is needed down back.

I know Charlie Cameron has been our destroyer in recent times, and Rayner played a blinder as well, so I can see the thought to bring noble in, who I like, but I think he gets brushed off the ball too easily. But he is all in when playing.

Our forward line problems have normally been that we have not enough tall targets, yes Cox can play there, but ruck is his best place now, and Cameron has played a role there in the past, but I feel we need a constant presence and who knows, maybe they won't pay Frampton any respect and he makes them pay haha.

I trust Fly and the match committee to make the right csll in any case.
piffdog
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 46 times

Post by piffdog »

dalyc wrote:My take fwiw is Ginni comes in to the 22, WHE plays CHF, Frampton is the sub.

To my way of thinking this has the least impact on our structure but gives us flexibility if Plan A isn’t working.
I don’t love Frampton as the sub. If we don’t have an injury I like the idea of a speedy player for fresh legs - either Noble or Ginnivan.
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 101 times

Post by Pies2016 »

Having seen a bit of Frampton this year ( like most of us ) he’s at least done everything that can be expected from a back up player when called upon.
He’s not first choice on a full list, so while the expectations shouldn’t be high, there’s no reason to believe he can’t play his role and be a solid contributor. For this game and assuming he's selected, I much prefer him as a forward than a defender anyway. He’s to slow to take on the best tall forwards but there is every chance he would be taller and bigger than his opponent in the forward line ( especially if Payne doesn’t come up ) If he can hit the pack hard and not be outmarked for most of the day, then at least his teammates can get to work at his feet.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
Charlie Oneeye
Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by Charlie Oneeye »

Seems to me the best fit is Frampton, a clean swap for McStay without needing to make too many changes. There's pro's and cons, but stability leading into the GF has more upside.

We need the height up forward, and if required he can go down back and swap with Howe.

Also provides an option as 2nd Ruck, swapping with Cameron at FF. Cox still No 1 Ruck.

I havent seen Fly make lots of changes to accommodate 1 forced change, and we are not going to throw the magnets all over the place now.

The changes Fly makes are on game day, and there are lots of them, Nick for example ends up playing different parts of the ground, so do a lot of others.

But the basic starting positions stay the same. Players know their game plans... Frampton will slot in and play his role.
Haff
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 41 times

Post by Haff »

Im still 50:50. If we had a fully fit Mcstay and Adams i might be confident.

Fly has been massive tactically. I think im confident he will find a way. If its enough I dont know.

Love that we had Howe get some fwd time during the year as a plan B. It wont be the first plan on Saturday, I think it will be Frampton and then Cox. I really think the latter will put on a show and get the norm!

If that doesnt work Howe fwd.
The match day thread is for unfiltered BS knee jerk reactions. The time for level headed comment comes after.
Haff
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 41 times

Post by Haff »

Cox $101. Sneaky $5 for him to kick 5! USA, USA, USA.
The match day thread is for unfiltered BS knee jerk reactions. The time for level headed comment comes after.
Piesnchess
Has liked: 202 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by Piesnchess »

I wish we could fit Noble in , he has burning pace, that lad. But, I guess its Frampton comes in for Macca, put him on Dopey Daniher, and maybe put Howe up forward , where Macca was. ? Might we worth a shot, but im sure Fly and his panel have all options open. IN FLY WE TRUST. !!
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 129 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Damien wrote:We DON’T need Frampton as a ruckman. We have two already, one more than them. IF he comes in, he either goes forward (mistake) or he takes Daniher and Howe goes forward.

Yep, this. No way in hell do we need Frampton to ruck. I’d only play him if we have a need for a tall on tall match up. Same for Nobes. We need to bring someone in for McStay, question is do we need another forward or a matchup elsewhere. I’m hoping Ginnivan starts on the ground too.