Pre-Grand Final. Magpies v. Lions. All comments.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

BJ

Post by BJ »

I have been listening to sen the past couple of days and the amount of hatred and bagging of our team absolutely thrills me.
It’s quite obvious that the pie haters are scared and nervous about us taking this flag.
I Feel great about it.
Go Pies!
I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.
23 YIPPEE!!!

Post by 23 YIPPEE!!! »

To be honest I am done with hearing how great this brisbane are and like thatsa ll you hear.

Always want to know what our opinions are of them.

To me the stink of AFL hand outs from the early 00s and look their fans are bit like sydney a bit clueless and fake.

I hate them since the 2002 2003 days.

Channel 9 just had Caro on as well she says the brownlow voting is a top job and the AFL are doing a great job.

But i hate the lions to death tbh
dalyc
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by dalyc »

90 nice wrote:Carmichael in for Adams 100 percent
Frampton in for McStay

But it’s Carmichael in for Adams
No
Four legged animals good, two legged animals better
derkd
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by derkd »

In: Frampton & Mcrae or Noble for the extra legs

Out: Lapinski & McStay

Changes i would make anyway
Last edited by derkd on Tue Sep 26, 2023 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"To know nothing of events before your birth, is to forever remain a child" - Cicero (Roman Lawyer/Senator) 46 BCE.
inxs88
Been liked: 4 times

Post by inxs88 »

Pies won't want to add extra unnecessary changes so Lipinski is safe. The logic of Frampton replacing McStay is understandable but it does give me Tristan Walker/Ben Kinnear circa 2003 vibes. Frampton could easily get 3 possessions and 3 clangers such is the risk.
I love the Pies, hate Carlscum
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

That's really disappointing, as I had convinced myself that Tay Adams would get up for the game.
He will be gutted. He has done so much this year to get us to where we are.

I have changed my mind many times in the course of this discussion, as every new idea seems worth considering and appears instantaneously to shatter your faith in the previous one!!

Our midfield is weakened with the absence of Tay, but last week our midfield was excellent against GWS, which has a first class midfield group. This was due to Cox's ability to dominate in the ruck. Cameron also regained some marking form. So maybe this is another reason why we must, in the absence of tay, ensure that we have our two ruckman able to perform as they did last game, and overcome McIerney. As we are missing McStay, to retain the structure we had last week we need another tall in the forward line. We don't trust Frampton to play in F50 competently (both Cox and Cameron have had more practice and more ability so we can use Frampton as the missing tall whose main role is to give both Cox and Cameron the time out they need by coming on and taking ruck contests while one is off the ground.
Previously I was the advocate of a small, fast forward line, and not replacing McStay with another tall. But because our ruck resources will be thinned out if one of Cameron/Cox always has to be playing as a forward, then as a pair they might not have the impact we need them to. As others have mentioned as well, it is a dry day, and the pressure intensity of finals will make a plan based on constant low kicking into F50 might be impractical to execute consistently enough. This means that aerial contests will be inevitable, and with a short forward line we could get smashed in those.

Slowly but surely I am now warming to the concept of Frampton replacing McStay. Lippa stays in, and Fly demands that he plays the entire game like he did in the 3rd quarter against GWS.

In this scenario, I cannot see any way of fitting John Noble in. It seems crazy that a player with his speed and courage is being omitted.

I am extremely unsure about who should be the sub. After watching Ginnivan when he came on in both finals, I want to see him play the entire game.

But it is impossible to leave anyone else out. WHE comes to mind, but he has been so important for us playing in defence and he has recently been going into hard contests more fiercely than in the recent past. He can also play forward. He is clearly up for a complete GF.

Making Frampton the sub makes absolutely no sense in the role that I would envisage for him.

Would Lippa as sub be too risky as our midfield is then being stripped down further?

Many difficult decisions remain to be made.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
Deja Vu

Post by Deja Vu »

Frampton in for McStay makes sense. Allows Cox to stay in the ruck as he is our best option there.

Frampton just has to sacrifice his body. Put himself in the firing line, be the marking target down the line and compete. Just don't get outmarked.

Any contested marks and goals are just a bonus
Take_a_Screamer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 17 times

Post by Take_a_Screamer »

It's getting more obvious that Frampton comes in and plays forward.
But he could also be used part time in the ruck as he has done before and excelled.
This gives Fly many options and keeps the opposition guessing.

Fly is a smart cookie and he would have a good plan in place.
Frampton is underrated but will do what is needed. A GF is plenty of motivation.

We could keep the midfield the same as in the PF
This means, go for stability, same as the rest of the team, including the sub.
Ash Johnson...you beauty
Johnson Screamer @ https://www.afl.com.au/video/931485/joh ... -epic-mark? ❤️️
masoncox
Been liked: 3 times

Post by masoncox »

I would prefer kreugar to framp.
A big strong forward is what we need
Cam
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Cam »

Freddy Krueger could pull a groin putting on his boots or knock out himself and Nick Daicos running back with the flight in the first 5 mins. He be the nuclear option Kim Jong-Un.
Get back on top.
piffdog
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 46 times

Post by piffdog »

Cam wrote:Freddy Krueger could pull a groin putting on his boots or knock out himself and Nick Daicos running back with the flight in the first 5 mins. He be the nuclear option Kim Jong-Un.
Agree. I love Kreuger and want him to be a hit, but he is like Mr Magoo. He’s a danger to himself and to his own team mates.

I think it’s fairly simple. Stay tall, and it’s Frampton for McStay and all the versatility that brings if needed (forward, back, ruck etc) - despite perhaps him being a little rusty maybe. Or go Small, and it’s Ginni for McStay and probably Noble as the sub.

I don’t think they will pick Frampton and start him as sub, and I don’t think The File is under any threat of being dropped.

Maybe there is another cunning plan coming which will surprise us. Hard to see anyone outside the names here being bought in.
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
woodys_world69
Been liked: 25 times

Post by woodys_world69 »

I just want one thing out of this GF..... our cheer Squad to make a proper banner! #2018
3rd degree

Post by 3rd degree »

Cam wrote:Freddy Krueger could pull a groin putting on his boots or knock out himself and Nick Daicos running back with the flight in the first 5 mins. He be the nuclear option Kim Jong-Un.
:lol:

Krueger surely must be given his own caravan when camping.
" Ohhh Banksy and out comes the Note Book".

www.facebook/the hybernators
Damien
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by Damien »

inxs88 wrote:Pies won't want to add extra unnecessary changes so Lipinski is safe. The logic of Frampton replacing McStay is understandable but it does give me Tristan Walker/Ben Kinnear circa 2003 vibes. Frampton could easily get 3 possessions and 3 clangers such is the risk.
Great post. Gave me PSD though… walker instead of Molloy. Titanic misjudgement.
'Collingwood are the Bradmans of Football'
The Herald - 1930
Said by Zed
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Said by Zed »

Take_a_Screamer wrote:It's getting more obvious that Frampton comes in and plays forward.
But he could also be used part time in the ruck as he has done before and excelled.
This gives Fly many options and keeps the opposition guessing.

Fly is a smart cookie and he would have a good plan in place.
Frampton is underrated but will do what is needed. A GF is plenty of motivation.

We could keep the midfield the same as in the PF
This means, go for stability, same as the rest of the team, including the sub.
Agreed. I like what you’re cooking TAS. The loss of McStay is unfortunate as he was nearing a real break out game which would have been poetic against the Lions. But the Pies have won and won well without him before. Similar with Tay…would have loved it more than anything if he had got up…feel heartbroken for him but we roll on.

The inclusion of Billy definitely gives McRae a few lever’s to pull…he can more than hold his own in the ruck giving Mason more time forward when needed but similarly at 202 cm will cause a few headaches and is equally as capable of clunking a few and nailing a couple of snags (note McStay has not kicked more than two goals in a game) so if he does get a couple that’s a massive bonus.

I have a feeling some of our guns who’ve been a bit quiet lately will fire up and have crackers….the likes of Jaicos, Elliott, Mihocek, Lippy, and Cameron are due to rip it up and have big games. So bring it on Lions…come feel the power of the Mighty Pies!

In what might eventuate into a dour arm wrestle after a frantic start, the Pies will overcome and prevail 84 - 77. So it is said, so shall it be done.
The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men...