Pre-Grand Final. Magpies v. Lions. All comments.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 45 times

Post by David »

mattdally wrote:Frampton training with forward line - players cheering for him. Thinking he may get a call up.
Certainly sounds like it, if so!
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
buzzlightyear

Post by buzzlightyear »

What'sinaname wrote:
Meredith1965 wrote:It might be my Collingwood scars talking, but I can’t honestly see us winning this after the loss of McStay. Our defence looks premiership quality, but a forward line with Mihocek as the sole (not very) tall does not look anything like it to me.

Without McStay vs GwS we lose, it is as simple as that. I do not see Cameron-Cox or Frampton being a strong replacement, esp as Cox is the only ruckman we have capable of dominating a ruck context vs McInerny.

The only way I can see us winning is by burning them with pace and a “get it to the ground” strategy in the forward line, but even then…. I just cannot see it. I have never been less confident going into a GF.

I will be the first to be overjoyed if I prove wrong.
Same here. I am expecting loss and for this game to go much the same way as 2003. I was equally not confident then after losing Rocca.

While McStay is not a gun, it looks like we’re going to have to mess with our structure on the most important day of the year.
Scar tissue a plenty! And its that time of year of Top GF's on Fox! Ugh....
Buzz
Looking for sweet 16.....
Johnno75
Been liked: 20 times

Post by Johnno75 »

Adams left the track early today, vision shows he was a little frustrated. On that vision I reckon he is an unlikely starter on Saturday.
Human behavioural studies suggest people who use a lot of swear words tend to be more honest & trustworthy.
gurugeoff
Been liked: 4 times

Post by gurugeoff »

should McStay be replaced with a tall (Frampton) or a small (Noble/Adams)?

we will only know the answer to that after the game. If we win, we made the right choice. If we lose, we made the wrong choice.
BazBoy
Been liked: 37 times

Post by BazBoy »

That’s interesting having Framp deep forward at training and if he does suit up in a forward role opponents will have to pay him some respect
Leave him to spot another fwd may bite them on the bum

Anyway pre guessing what the men paid to decide is fruitless
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
gurugeoff
Been liked: 4 times

Post by gurugeoff »

BazBoy wrote:That’s interesting having Framp deep forward at training and if he does suit up in a forward role opponents will have to pay him some respect

and this gives the option to swap Frampton and Howe around as well
think better
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 29 times

Post by think better »

gurugeoff wrote:
BazBoy wrote:That’s interesting having Framp deep forward at training and if he does suit up in a forward role opponents will have to pay him some respect

and this gives the option to swap Frampton and Howe around as well
I reckon if Framptom and Markov both play in the Grand Final it makes one of the best stories in the AFL. These two have essentially been discarded and just fitted well into the general approach that Fly has established.
I think therefore I think - I think
BazBoy
Been liked: 37 times

Post by BazBoy »

I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 101 times

Post by Pies2016 »

Hopefully that’s ( Harris ) Andrews who has just resigned !
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
buzzlightyear

Post by buzzlightyear »

gurugeoff wrote:should McStay be replaced with a tall (Frampton) or a small (Noble/Adams)?

we will only know the answer to that after the game. If we win, we made the right choice. If we lose, we made the wrong choice.
Definitely need a 2 tall approach given the dry and warm day. Structually that is consistent with what we have been doing, if not the personnel being different.

As mentioned in the other posts, it also gives us some flexibility, however if we are swinging things around on the day, it proabbly foretells bad news!
Buzz
Looking for sweet 16.....
Gerry Cooper
Has liked: 146 times
Been liked: 39 times

Post by Gerry Cooper »

Pies2016 wrote:Hopefully that’s ( Harris ) Andrews who has just resigned !
Hahaha post of the day! :lol: :lol: :lol:
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.�
Haff
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 41 times

Post by Haff »

Pies are pretty banged up, probably have a more so make shift fwd line. Adversity story everywhere. Good energy.

Adams wont play. I would love to see Ginni play, need to kick a winning score. Ginni>Mcreery. Latter Sub.

Frampton in for McStay, Cox will spend time forward and kick 5 winning the norm smith medal. Movies will be made if his feats.
The match day thread is for unfiltered BS knee jerk reactions. The time for level headed comment comes after.
RudeBoy
Been liked: 85 times

Post by RudeBoy »

As I've said elsewhere, I keep changing my mind on what changes we need to make.

After watching training this morning, I was impressed with Frampton who was positioned in match simulations as a key forward. He marked and kicked very well.

I missed the first 20 mins or so, but while there I did not see Adams at all, so my guess is he's very doubtful.

On that basis, I reckon there'll just be the one change to our side:

Out: McStay
In: Frampton
uuuuu..... The LoneSTAR

Post by uuuuu..... The LoneSTAR »

from the little i have seen of Brisbane, Harris Andrews stands out as the key marking defender. Perhaps Frampton could be brought in with the role of trying to nullify that influence? Probably a good match up.
23 YIPPEE!!!

Post by 23 YIPPEE!!! »

In Frampton
Out McStay
Adams in is now a real bonus
Was 50/50 yesterday now it’s 25/75
Depends on Thursday session
For sub Noble
With Ginny elevated to the INT