Pre-Grand Final. Magpies v. Lions. All comments.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

doriswilgus
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 23 times

Post by doriswilgus »

I wouldn’t take much notice of the round 22 match as it was a dead rubber for us and we had four a graders out that night,including our three most important players.You only had to see how Degoey performed the other night to see how important he is to us when he’s on.

And when I think about it,you can’t take much notice of results in the home and away season,because finals are a completely different ball game.For example we beat GWS by 65 points on Mother’s Day and only beat them by a point in the Preliminary final.Late in the season Portt Adelaide beat GWS by 51 points,only to lose to them by 23 points in the finals a few weeks later,a 74 point turnaround.

So beware of reading too much into results during the season,because they don’t mean an awful lot when it comes to finals games.
Magpiefan3

Post by Magpiefan3 »

doriswilgus wrote:I wouldn’t take much notice of the round 22 match as it was a dead rubber for us and we had four a graders out that night,including our three most important players.You only had to see how Degoey performed the other night to see how important he is to us when he’s on.

And when I think about it,you can’t take much notice of results in the home and away season,because finals are a completely different ball game.For example we beat GWS by 65 points on Mother’s Day and only beat them by a point in the Preliminary final.Late in the season Portt Adelaide beat GWS by 51 points,only to lose to them by 23 points in the finals a few weeks later,a 74 point turnaround.

So beware of reading too much into results during the season,because they don’t mean an awful lot when it comes to finals games.
Didn't we have De Goey and Hill out as they did not play.
Last edited by Magpiefan3 on Mon Sep 25, 2023 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2016 Player Sponsor for Travis Varcoe

2017-2019 Player Sponsor for Lynden Dunn
doriswilgus
Been liked: 23 times

Post by doriswilgus »

Magpiefan3 wrote:
doriswilgus wrote:I wouldn’t take much notice of the round 22 match as it was a dead rubber for us and we had four a graders out that night,including our three most important players.You only had to see how Degoey performed the other night to see how important he is to us when he’s on.

Didn't we have De Goey and Hill out as did not play.
Yes,and Nick and Darcy Moore as well.
Meredith1965

Post by Meredith1965 »

It might be my Collingwood scars talking, but I can’t honestly see us winning this after the loss of McStay. Our defence looks premiership quality, but a forward line with Mihocek as the sole (not very) tall does not look anything like it to me.

Without McStay vs GwS we lose, it is as simple as that. I do not see Cameron-Cox or Frampton being a strong replacement, esp as Cox is the only ruckman we have capable of dominating a ruck context vs McInerny.

The only way I can see us winning is by burning them with pace and a “get it to the ground” strategy in the forward line, but even then…. I just cannot see it. I have never been less confident going into a GF.

I will be the first to be overjoyed if I prove wrong.
Clifton Hill-Billy
Been liked: 10 times

Post by Clifton Hill-Billy »

robevpau1 wrote:The #AFLGrandFinal field umpires have been selected: Simon Meredith, Matt Stevic, Hayden Gavine & Robert Findlay. Andrew Stephens is emergency.

Two umpires from each of the preliminary finals + Stephens umpired Friday night. @1116sen.
Meredith for every Pies final, how does that happen?
"Hey Ma get off the dang roof!"
piffdog
Been liked: 46 times

Post by piffdog »

Damien wrote:Stats overload!

Mark Robinson probably wrote the most sensible thing he’s said all year today. Stats are for the autopsy. They tell us what happened before but not what will happen next.

I know… we all need stuff to analyse, scrutinise this week to pass the time.

This is our destiny folks. Leave it to the coaches, let them earn their money and we can all enjoy the ride and the ultimate success.
Could be the smartest thing Robbo has ever said… Stats can’t capture every facet, but I agree wholly they help you to understand what just happened.

Thanks for highlighting.
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
Piesnchess
Has liked: 202 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by Piesnchess »

^ Carlton booted the first five goals against them at the Gabba, they are not all that great, really, not unbeatable, at all. Mcstay was out for 11 games, and we got on fine without him, I reckon Frampton may well surprise us all, if he is picked.
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Piesnchess
Has liked: 202 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by Piesnchess »

piffdog wrote:

Mark Robinson probably wrote the most sensible thing he’s said all year today. Stats are for the autopsy. They tell us what happened before but not what will happen next.

This is our destiny folks. Leave it to the coaches, let them earn their money and we can all enjoy the ride and the ultimate success.
Could be the smartest thing Robbo has ever said… Stats can’t capture every facet, but I agree wholly they help you to understand what just happened.

Thanks for highlighting.

That dork David King is absolutely obsessed in bloody stats, they rule all his opinions every single one. he never thinks outside the square. Robbo should tell him this, as its very true. :o
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
23 YIPPEE!!!

Post by 23 YIPPEE!!! »

Like to know everyones plans on friday gf eve.

I find the parade is when things sink in that we in the gf and seeing them on stage with the cup.

Like to see a thread on what people are up too and of a kind of social thread if you may on gf eve and gf day.

Like to attend some functions this time around.
scoobydoo
Been liked: 5 times

Post by scoobydoo »

Only sensible thing that fat p.rick will ever right is ‘I resign’
What'sinaname
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 18 times

Post by What'sinaname »

Meredith1965 wrote:It might be my Collingwood scars talking, but I can’t honestly see us winning this after the loss of McStay. Our defence looks premiership quality, but a forward line with Mihocek as the sole (not very) tall does not look anything like it to me.

Without McStay vs GwS we lose, it is as simple as that. I do not see Cameron-Cox or Frampton being a strong replacement, esp as Cox is the only ruckman we have capable of dominating a ruck context vs McInerny.

The only way I can see us winning is by burning them with pace and a “get it to the ground” strategy in the forward line, but even then…. I just cannot see it. I have never been less confident going into a GF.

I will be the first to be overjoyed if I prove wrong.
Same here. I am expecting loss and for this game to go much the same way as 2003. I was equally not confident then after losing Rocca.

While McStay is not a gun, it looks like we’re going to have to mess with our structure on the most important day of the year.
Fighting against the objectification of woman.
swoop42
Been liked: 3 times

Post by swoop42 »

If Adams gets up I'd send him to Neale.

Why make it so easy for the modern midfielder and the oppositions most influential player to do as he pleases?

Adams is currently a caged, hungry animal and if he gets the all clear he ain't going to hold anything back.

They wont see it coming because we "don't tag".
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

swoop42 wrote:If Adams gets up I'd send him to Neale.

Why make it so easy for the modern midfielder and the oppositions most influential player to do as he pleases?

Adams is currently a caged, hungry animal and if he gets the all clear he ain't going to hold anything back.

They wont see it coming because we "don't tag".
Yep I agree. Adams will be wild.
If we play him, it will be because he is 100%.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
bally12

Post by bally12 »

I reckon Fly is going to have to pull out a tactical master-class for us to win.

As it stands the Lions have our measure. They've worked out our game style, they sweat on our corridor transition which starts from the back, and hit us on the rebound.
They also like to play a chip/mark style until they get to half way mark of the pitch, then rely on their tall forwards.

I feel there are a few key parts to combating them:
- apply a high close press to stop their kick/mark game out of defence.
- when attacking keep the ball moving, run in numbers, low entries into the forward line avoiding Harris Andrews at all costs. No high balls forward.
- our mids and high half forwards need to be manic and desperate working between the arcs and clean/decisive with their skills.

Do that and instil panic into the Lions. We need to hit them with shock and awe.
Getting locked into a grind with them is not going to get it done. We need to create open spaces and run over them.
C'mon Pies.
the fuzz

Post by the fuzz »

^ Yeah, they may have worked out our game style, but they can’t plan for our pressure.
Pressure is the way the Pies have always won big games against the odds.
If we tackle hard, we apply pressure, we want it more, we win. Pressure creates the chances we need to capitalize.
I think the coaches and the players will be onto this. We will be fired up and ready.