Pre-Grand Final. Magpies v. Lions. All comments.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

Magpietothemax
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

Jezza wrote:Collingwood has won 1,599 game
I can't take the credit here. Fellow poster, 'T2', deserves credit for unearthing this stat and posting it in the omens thread.

I was blown away when I read it myself, and checked it on AFL Tables to be sure and as a matter of fact it is true.

It was too good to not mention it here on the pre-game thread.
Yes, just looked at the Omen thread and saw this post from T2. Even more amazing is that this will be our 1600th win for our 16th flag!!
4^2 =16
4^2*10^2=1600
This means:
Brayden Maynard will be BOG
Scott Pendlebury will be next.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
woodys_world69
Been liked: 25 times

Post by woodys_world69 »

Jezza wrote:Collingwood has won 1,599 games in VFL/AFL history.

Time to record our 1600th win and 16th Premiership!
and 16th Coach!

its definitely a sign!
Magpietothemax

Post by Magpietothemax »

woodys_world69 wrote:

and 16th Coach!

its definitely a sign!
Clearly 16 is the common factor.
So Ed Allan will have a break out year in 2024.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 101 times

Post by Pies2016 »

I rate the Lions highly, just as I rated the Giants but for different reasons. The Lions have the ability to take the game away from you very quickly. Their small forwards are all goal kicking threats, as opposed to just high pressure defensive smalls who bob up every third week. Every time they get the ball inside their own F50, they look capable of scoring.
For that reason, we will look to slow the game down and use the boundary whenever they get a couple goal roll on. You have to look to take the air out of the game sooner than the norm anytime these guys get rolling. Our extra ( or two ) won’t need much encouragement to drop back anytime they score a couple in quick succession. Also looks like a warm day, so playing smart tempo footy is always better than playing aggressively from the start and then burning out in the third quarter.
I wasnt overly impressed by them against the Blues. In the first and last quarter, they looked like they were burdened by the weight of expectation and the fear of failure. They fumbled and didn’t play team first footy but their second and third quarters were the Lions of 2023.
This one could come down to whoever manages the occasion better than the other and it’s those occasions where the best coaches really come into their own.
Bring it on.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
Jezza
Has liked: 175 times
Been liked: 235 times

Post by Jezza »

[quote="doriswilgus"]Winning games has never been a problem for us, Jezza, it’s just Grand Finals that have always been the issue for us.

But yes, it is time to win our 16th Premiership. This is long overdue.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
Magpietothemax

Post by Magpietothemax »

^Agree, P2016, the Lions are a very, very good team. Maybe our coaches will gain insight from their first quarter against Carlton how to overcome them. Clearly pressure will be absolutely critical. In our last half against GWS, we outnumbered at the contest. We will need to bring that level of pressure for the entire game.As you say, we will also need to conserve energy by playing tempo footy repeatedly.
Yes bring it on. This is the last dance
https://youtu.be/mbNjGZvmNkA?si=aXm0uyVsmxiS0hIL&t=202
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
Take_a_Screamer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 17 times

Post by Take_a_Screamer »

Jezza wrote:
Magpietothemax wrote:

Wow, just wow, Jezza !!
I seriously just love how you keep uncovering for us all these numerological/statistical indices that prove we will win the GF this year!!
I can't take the credit here. Fellow poster, 'T2', deserves credit for unearthing this stat and posting it in the omens thread.

I was blown away when I read it myself, and checked it on AFL Tables to be sure and as a matter of fact it is true.

It was too good to not mention it here on the pre-game thread.
I'm sure the media come here to Nick's Magpie forum to glean information.
So we can expect that that piece of information to be plagiarized and sensationalised.
Ash Johnson...you beauty
Johnson Screamer @ https://www.afl.com.au/video/931485/joh ... -epic-mark? ❤️️
3rd degree

Post by 3rd degree »

Carn Lads we can take these stuck up ponces. Barrassi's passing and 8.10.58 are good omens.
" Ohhh Banksy and out comes the Note Book".

www.facebook/the hybernators
Piesnchess
Has liked: 202 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by Piesnchess »

Magpietothemax wrote:

Wow, just wow, Jezza !!
I seriously just love how you keep uncovering for us all these numerological/statistical indices that prove we will win the GF this year!!

Excellent stat and Omen, and I just thought of one too. The pre match entertainment is KISS, hey, well now, as we all know, KISS ONLY WEAR BLACK AND WHITE MAKEUP. !!!!!! :o :P
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Arch@M32
Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Arch@M32 »

Piesnchess wrote:
Excellent stat and Omen, and I just thought of one too. The pre match entertainment is KISS, hey, well now, as we all know, KISS ONLY WEAR BLACK AND WHITE MAKEUP. !!!!!! :o :P
And green, red, silver, gold and yellow.

It's mainly black and white that they've used though.
pieboy
Been liked: 2 times

Post by pieboy »

[quote="prawnstar"]28C forecast.

Will this favour us or the Lions? Or neither?

Sure, they're probably used to warmer weather up north but Melbourne's heat is a different kind of heat.

Biggest effect might be on those lucky enough to have a ticket - make sure you take some sunnies and put on the sunscreen
jonmac1954
Been liked: 19 times

Post by jonmac1954 »

[quote="pieboy"][quote="prawnstar"]28C forecast.

Will this favour us or the Lions? Or neither?

Sure, they're probably used to warmer weather up north but Melbourne's heat is a different kind of heat.

Biggest effect might be on those lucky enough to have a ticket - make sure you take some sunnies and put on the sunscreen
maurs64
Been liked: 1 time

Post by maurs64 »

We don't have a great record in Grand Finals vs Interstate teams. I'm hoping Fly's perfect record reverses that trend.
What'sinaname
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 18 times

Post by What'sinaname »

I am hoping we win, but I think the Lions will be too strong and win by 36 points.

The loss of McStay and our anaemic forward line - we've kicked 9 goals and 8 goals in two finals means we'll struggle to kick a winning score.

And the rest of the football world will rejoice as the Pies lose another GF.
Fighting against the objectification of woman.
Born to Pie
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Born to Pie »

Magpietothemax wrote:Beau goes to Keideman Coleman. Coleman was the firestarter for Brisbane last night. Beau has the pace, and the physical brutality to ensure Coleman earns every possession.
Absolutely, was thinking the same thing while watching the game.

In our first meeting this year with the Bears at the Gabba we were without rucks, neither Cameron or Cox were available. Of our current best team we were also without Howe, Lipinski & Ginni. We had more scoring shots and lost by 33 points.

Our second meeting was in Melbourne but at Marvel Stadium and we were without Nick, DeGoey, Hill & Moore and lost by four goals.

It will be the best line up available that we've had against them this year, with the exception of McStay and possibly Adams
In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away