Pre-Grand Final. Magpies v. Lions. All comments.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

Donny
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 25 times

Pre-Grand Final. Magpies v. Lions. All comments.

Post by Donny »

Saturday. MCG. 2.30

Collingwood v. Brisbane

IN: Frampton. OUT: McStay, Adams.

Sub: Lipinski.

Let's hear ya !!
Last edited by Donny on Sat Sep 30, 2023 12:01 am, edited 5 times in total.
Donny.

It's a game. Enjoy it. :D
Piesnchess
Has liked: 202 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by Piesnchess »

We owe these bastards bigtime for twenty yrs ago, when we lost to that superteam, that consisted of Voss, Brown, Lappin, acker, black, lynch, the annoying Scott bros, Johnson, Pike. that was a suprr team, that could handle the MCG, this Lions side is good, but not like that superside. Plus, we are a far better side now, today, than then. I cannot see these pricks handling the MCG, unlike that super team did, they cannot handle it. I cannot seen them beating us in a third GF, aint gonna happen, no way Jose. Fly has us so pumped, flying, its our tme, time to bring the flag home, revenge is a dish best served cold.

SWEET LITTLE SIXTEEN.- CHUCK BERRY. GO THE MIGHTY WOODS.!!!
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

Beau goes to Keideman Coleman. Coleman was the firestarter for Brisbane last night. Beau has the pace, and the physical brutality to ensure Coleman earns every possession.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
Magpiefan3

Post by Magpiefan3 »

I am just so nervous but feeling excited!

Surely this our year and our time!

We have been the best team all year.

Just trying to find some stats, but does anyone know when Brisbane Lions won last at the MCG?

I feel it's last year in the Semi Final against Melbourne.
2016 Player Sponsor for Travis Varcoe

2017-2019 Player Sponsor for Lynden Dunn
Damien
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by Damien »

They’ve won only one of their last 19 games at the G or something similar but Stuff the stats! This is our year. Been the best team all year. Jump ‘em like Carlton did but leave the foot on the throat. Feel like Tay Adams is gunna make it. Straight swap for DMac. We did our time last year and now our destiny awaits.
'Collingwood are the Bradmans of Football'
The Herald - 1930
prawnstar

Post by prawnstar »

28C forecast.

Will this favour us or the Lions? Or neither?

Sure, they're probably used to warmer weather up north but Melbourne's heat is a different kind of heat.

Biggest effect might be on those lucky enough to have a ticket - make sure you take some sunnies and put on the sunscreen
A wild handpass by Wild!
Johnno75
Been liked: 20 times

Post by Johnno75 »

They scored heavily against us in both games this year but were very accurate in front of goals in both games. This was only from 54 and 55 I50.

In their 2 finals games they scored a similar score against Port (again accurate) but was from 64 entries. Against Carlton with a lot more pressure early in the game they scored 11.13 again from 64 entries.

We saw early on how they can be beaten. As long as we are relatively even in clearances and contested ball our pressure will last longer than it did against the Blues, hopefully we can keep to around low 50s in entries, under 50 and we probably win the game. It will be hot so expect the game to open up a bit after half time but getting the score on the board early with pressure will be important.

A good sign for us was getting over 50 entries in the PF, baring the Essendon game we haven’t done that in a while.
Human behavioural studies suggest people who use a lot of swear words tend to be more honest & trustworthy.
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 45 times

Post by David »

Magpiefan3 wrote:I am just so nervous but feeling excited!

Surely this our year and our time!

We have been the best team all year.

Just trying to find some stats, but does anyone know when Brisbane Lions won last at the MCG?

I feel it's last year in the Semi Final against Melbourne.
It was. It’s their only win from their last 15 matches, one of only two from their last 19 and three from their last 27 (including a draw). Still, it shows they are capable of winning there when the stakes are high.

Full list of Brisbane games at the MCG here: https://afltables.com/afl/teams/brisban ... _vn.html#5
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Jezza
Has liked: 175 times
Been liked: 235 times

Post by Jezza »

Collingwood has won 1,599 games in VFL/AFL history.

Time to record our 1600th win and 16th Premiership!
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

Jezza wrote:Collingwood has won 1,599 games in VFL/AFL history.

Wow, just wow, Jezza !!
I seriously just love how you keep uncovering for us all these numerological/statistical indices that prove we will win the GF this year!!
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
slangman
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by slangman »

The Collingwood Football Club changed forever the day that Craig McCrae was appointed.
At the end of his first press conference i turned to my wife and said that we will win a premiership very soon. I couldn’t believe the feeling of optimism that filled me that day.

Saturday is the day that my optimism from that day will be vindicated and Fly will have his portrait placed next to our other premiership coaches in his office.

Pies by 44pts!!
- Side By Side -
Jezza
Has liked: 175 times
Been liked: 235 times

Post by Jezza »

Magpietothemax wrote:

Wow, just wow, Jezza !!
I seriously just love how you keep uncovering for us all these numerological/statistical indices that prove we will win the GF this year!!
I can't take the credit here. Fellow poster, 'T2', deserves credit for unearthing this stat and posting it in the omens thread.

I was blown away when I read it myself, and checked it on AFL Tables to be sure and as a matter of fact it is true.

It was too good to not mention it here on the pre-game thread.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
eddiesmith
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by eddiesmith »

Piesnchess wrote:We owe these bastards bigtime for twenty yrs ago, when we lost to that superteam, that consisted of Voss, Brown, Lappin, acker, black, lynch, the annoying Scott bros, Johnson, Pike. that was a suprr team, that could handle the MCG, this Lions side is good, but not like that superside. Plus, we are a far better side now, today, than then. I cannot see these pricks handling the MCG, unlike that super team did, they cannot handle it. I cannot seen them beating us in a third GF, aint gonna happen, no way Jose. Fly has us so pumped, flying, its our tme, time to bring the flag home, revenge is a dish best served cold.

SWEET LITTLE SIXTEEN.- CHUCK BERRY. GO THE MIGHTY WOODS.!!!
Don't forget that bloody McRae, could never stand him!!! :lol: :lol:
eddiesmith
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by eddiesmith »

The only thing I'm disappointed about is I used to look after the flagpoles at work so I have a large Collingwood flag I always planned to put up if we won the flag, I left that job a couple of months ago :(
doriswilgus
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 23 times

Post by doriswilgus »

Winning games has never been a problem for us,Jezza,it’s just Grand Finals that have always been the issue for us.

But yes,it is time to win our 16th Premiership.This is long overdue.