Indigenous Voice to Parliament

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

think positive
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 90 times

Post by think positive »

thats really cool. love the grandson stories!

well im swaying, not sure where i will land at present. few life changing things happening, so, well, im looking at things differently! cheers
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
stui magpie
Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 95 times

Post by stui magpie »

Any specific questions that can help, let me know.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
think positive

Post by think positive »

stui magpie wrote:Any specific questions that can help, let me know.
cheers, thanks, i will have a think about it and another look at whats out there xx
pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

Great stuff, Stui. Independence comes from adults respecting boundaries like that. I grew up in the very opposite environment, where adults projected their social paranoias on me: "Don't do/say that, people will think I...."

I shudder thinking back.
In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 45 times

Post by David »

Oh yeah, that guy’s a real piece of work.

Apparently also responsible for the "millennials need to stop eating avo toast" thing from a few years back. I guess he likes playing the heel!
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
think positive

Post by think positive »

David wrote:Oh yeah, that guy’s a real piece of work.

Apparently also responsible for the "millennials need to stop eating avo toast" thing from a few years back. I guess he likes playing the heel!
Well there’s a reason to bring hanging back, long live avo toast!
Magpietothemax

Post by Magpietothemax »

stui magpie wrote:"discriminatory" alcohol ban, yet it clearly worked.

Is it right to change a law for ideological reasons when the evidence strongly shows that the law had helped achieve it's desired purpose?

I really hope The Voice referendum gets up, in the currently suggested form which lets Parliament legislate how it works which means they can tweak and change it when they inevitably **** it up in the first few goes or as time passes and revamp is required.

I'm losing confidence in Albo's ability to achieve that.
You should lose confidence in Albanese, because his government is rightly hated and mistrusted. Btw, I am not a ''Liberal". there is a crisis of rule atm, both mainstream parties are justifiably despised.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Albo is hated and mistrusted?

Probably by the hard core Liberals, but in general no more than any other politician.

Despite his cockups and complete mishandling of The Voice referendum, he's shaping as probably the best PM we've had since Howard.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Tannin

Post by Tannin »

People of voting age or over:

Aboriginal Australians: 590 thousand out of 17.5 million = 3.2%
Aboriginal Senators and Members of Parliament: 11 out of 227 = 4.8%

So we are proposing a constitutional change to "improve" the representation of a group of people who are already over-represented by 50%.

Now those eight Aboriginal Senators and 3 Aboriginal MHRs stood for Parliament and won their seats fair and square. Good luck to them. And if even more win seats next time, good for them. That's democracy at work.

I very likely voted for some of them myself - and I can't tell you for sure either way because I paid no attention at the time because don't give a damn whether my local member is Aboriginal or Greek or Vietnamese or gay or married or young or old or male or trans female or or tall or short, I just care about their honesty and grasp of policy.

Anyway, anyone who reckons a group which is already 50% over-represented needs even more representatives has rocks in his or her head.
�Let's eat Grandma.� Commas save lives!
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Politicians are elected to represent their electorate, not their race (or religion, or gender or anything else). Those Indigenous politicians weren't elected because of their race and aren't there to represent it.

The Voice is about First Nations Peoples choosing people to specifically represent them on an advisory committee which will make recommendations to the Government in regard to policy pertaining to First Nations Peoples.
Bucks5
Has liked: 2 times

Post by Bucks5 »

It's a bit like how the Minister of Indigenous Affairs says that she cannot wait for the Voice to be voted in so she can fix up the issues of healthcare and education/truancy in remote Indigenous areas.

If she knows there are issues, why wait for the Voice? Why hasn't she been proactive and formed working parties with the local Indigenous leaders to work on the problems now.
How would Siri know when to answer "Hey Siri" unless it is listening in to everything you say?
Magpietothemax

Post by Magpietothemax »

Bucks5 wrote:It's a bit like how the Minister of Indigenous Affairs says that she cannot wait for the Voice to be voted in so she can fix up the issues of healthcare and education/truancy in remote Indigenous areas.

If she knows there are issues, why wait for the Voice? Why hasn't she been proactive and formed working parties with the local Indigenous leaders to work on the problems now.
Great questions. And the answer is simple: she knows, like every other politician, that the Voice is a gigantic hoax, and will do absolutely nothing- like all the previous parliamentary "initiatives" and commissions , to address the excruciating poverty that the vast majority of aboriginal people are forced to endure. All she cares about, and all the Albanese government cares about, is establishing a veneer of "progressiveness" for its right wing, militaristic program by getting the Voice referendum through. [/quote]
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

^

FMD, now Albo is Right wing? :roll:
Bucks5 wrote:It's a bit like how the Minister of Indigenous Affairs says that she cannot wait for the Voice to be voted in so she can fix up the issues of healthcare and education/truancy in remote Indigenous areas.

If she said that, it's a pretty dumb thing to say as healthcare and education are the States responsibility to manage, the Feds just provide funds. It's the state (and territory) governments who should have been working with the local Indigenous leaders.

So, If she said that, there's 3 possible reasons why.

1. She's an idiot
2. It's a marketing piece, ill advised, trying to sell the Voice by pushing potential benefits
3. She genuinely thinks that, given opportunity, The Voice could come up with some proposals that the Feds could then hand over to the relevant state/territory, ask them to implement them and provide some funding to do so.

My personal view would be a little of all 3.
Magpietothemax

Post by Magpietothemax »

stui magpie wrote:^

FMD, now Albo is Right wing? :roll:

And you think he is not?? :roll: :lol:
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins