Indigenous Voice to Parliament

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

stui magpie
Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 95 times

Post by stui magpie »

think positive wrote:much appreciated!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:
No problems. I haven't had a good rant for a while. :wink:
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Jezza
Has liked: 176 times
Been liked: 240 times

Post by Jezza »

Date of the referendum is locked in.

October 14.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-08-30/ ... /102757140
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Here's hoping that people can put aside doubt, misinformation, some outright lies and a (rightful) lack of trust in politicians and vote Yes. It's an historical opportunity that might not come again.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-08-30/ ... /102792418

This provides some historical context. https://www.theage.com.au/national/we-v ... 5e0mq.html
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
think positive
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 90 times

Post by think positive »

I just put up with the awful Waleed to listen to senator McKenzie making so much sense.
No.
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
KenH

Post by KenH »

think positive wrote:I just put up with the awful Waleed to listen to senator McKenzie making so much sense.
No.
I just spat out my cuppa over my keyboard when I read that, Sen McKenzie making sense?
Cheers big ears
think positive

Post by think positive »

go watch it.

she spoke about the people on the ground, including her and indigenous leaders in the community, trying to get a 10 million dollar boarding school in alice springs so that the indigenous kids dont have to go back home to their parents drinking fighting, abuse, making them do all the chores, and allowing them to have three decent meals a day. but the 10 million has not been forthcoming. how much has this waste of time referendum cost.

she also made note that it will be corporates, what ever race, elected to the commission, which is about as helpful as our pathetic government, or the AFL commission.

but yeah, take a look for yourself.

i find it interesting that the 2 states with the largest indigenous populations are the red states! wonder why? no faith?
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 45 times

Post by David »

think positive wrote: she spoke about the people on the ground, including her and indigenous leaders in the community, trying to get a 10 million dollar boarding school in alice springs so that the indigenous kids dont have to go back home to their parents drinking fighting, abuse, making them do all the chores, and allowing them to have three decent meals a day. but the 10 million has not been forthcoming.
So she’s saying that local Indigenous community leaders have been calling for something to be implemented, but that it’s fallen on deaf ears.

Isn’t that the entire point of the Voice? To give people like that a more direct line to government?

I don’t understand how people think that will hurt.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
think positive

Post by think positive »

David wrote:
think positive wrote: she spoke about the people on the ground, including her and indigenous leaders in the community, trying to get a 10 million dollar boarding school in alice springs so that the indigenous kids dont have to go back home to their parents drinking fighting, abuse, making them do all the chores, and allowing them to have three decent meals a day. but the 10 million has not been forthcoming.
So she’s saying that local Indigenous community leaders have been calling for something to be implemented, but that it’s fallen on deaf ears.

Isn’t that the entire point of the Voice? To give people like that a more direct line to government?

I don’t understand how people think that will hurt.
Go watch the segment, she explains why she’s against it far better than me.

She seems to think it’s just game play, that it’s an extra layer of red tape, because there has been no info about how the board will be selected, and more than likely it will be out of touch corporates.
David

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
think positive

Post by think positive »

Take a look my wording is not perfect I don’t have perfect recall
David

Post by David »

stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

^

Where was it? The Project?

The whole concept of taking Indigenous kids off their parents en masse has been done before, didn't end well. it would need to be an extraordinary set up to not effectively end up as a pseudo youth detention centre.
David

Post by David »

stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

ta for that.

First impression having watched it all, I wouldn't want Albo as an advocate for anything, Penny Wong is as credible as a $3 bill and McKenzie isn't much better.

Too much reference to party politics from both sides, only a brief reference to the boarding school with no detail of what the proposal is other than "kids wouldn't have to go home"

People are scared that the Voice would have too much power. All it would be is a committee that provides advice. If Governments don't listen to the advice they already get, WTF is there to be scared of?

At least if The Voice gets up, Governments could be held accountable for accepting or ignoring the advice, depending on the circumstances, and First nations Peoples would no longer be able to just blame the Government if the Voice gave advice, the Government enacted it and it didn't work. That's about ownership.
David

Post by David »