#18 Finlay Macrae

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Pebbles Rocks

Post by Pebbles Rocks »

Rick wrote:Wouldn’t be surprised if he requests a trade at seasons end if he doesn’t cement a spot in the seniors.
As much as I don't like to see us invest in a young player who was a second round lick from memory, he has not shown the ability to break games open in the VFL. He is like his brother who accumulates the ball but does not damage you with it. At this stage, whilst he is a different player, I would say Ryan, Allen and Bianco are ahead of him in terms of the impact they have when they have the ball.
"You must be a parking ticket, cuz you got fine written all over you" Glen Quagmire
Beavis

Post by Beavis »

Pebbles Rocks wrote:
Rick wrote:Wouldn’t be surprised if he requests a trade at seasons end if he doesn’t cement a spot in the seniors.
As much as I don't like to see us invest in a young player who was a second round lick from memory, he has not shown the ability to break games open in the VFL. He is like his brother who accumulates the ball but does not damage you with it. At this stage, whilst he is a different player, I would say Ryan, Allen and Bianco are ahead of him in terms of the impact they have when they have the ball.
He's not really competing with any of them at least long term, because none of those players are coal face players who can win contested ball at stoppages (Allan isn't that yet). This team has only one player who is a truly elite contested/clearance player, based on both historical numbers
and numbers this season (especially if you ignore his horrible last game) and that's Mitchell.

The only other player we have on our team who has even been in the top 20 in the AFL in contested possessions and clearances in the last 10 years is Adams. The others who have been in that list for us were Grundy and Treloar. Last time Pendles was top 20 in both categories was 2013.

Basically this team has a complete dearth of truly elite coal face players and if Macrae can be that type of player then given Mitchell's age and Adams injury issues, he will provide something the others can't.

Also I def wouldn't call Jack Macrae not damaging. He's a excellent user of the footy. But he's able to showcase it by being super calm under pressure, which is something Finn has not shown much of. If he can't develop into that, IMO it's going to be a pretty big area of need in the medium to long term.
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 101 times

Post by Pies2016 »

Fun fact - Jack MacRae and Finlay MacRae are not true brothers. They are half brothers.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 129 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Yep I’ve been saying the same. I don’t think he’ll be at the club next year.
Charlie Oneeye
Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by Charlie Oneeye »

It is hard to see Fin curtailing an elite AFL player atm. I love his work in the VFL, but he needs to become more dangerous and damaging. Right now, I see him as a really good player in the lower ranks... but NQR AFL. Yet.
We see his ability every week just needs to get better in a couple of aspects to complement the rest of his game. Otherwise, he remains on the cusp, and should he leave, he will be in the exact same position at another club.
Having said that, some people need AFL game time to hone their game. Maybe he is in that category. Certainly, I think he has elite potential.
BazBoy
Been liked: 37 times

Post by BazBoy »

Some questions on Fin please??
How many seasons has he been at the club?
If he felt being ignored for AFL can he just nominated another club to pick him up?
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
Dark Beanie
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Dark Beanie »

Fin was drafted in 2020 and this is his 3rd season.

He did have a bit of a interrupted pre-season with a back issue.

He could ask to be traded at the end of the season or the club could delist him.
If you are foolish enough to be contented, don't show it, but just grumble with the rest. - Jerome K Jerome
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 174 times
Been liked: 176 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

42% kicking efficiency in the VFL this season...
Given the vitriol Adams gets for his disposal by foot, don't expect Macrae to be commanding a spot in our midfield anytime soon.
He hasn't gone above 50% since round 4.

https://vfl.aflmstats.com/player/Finlay_Macrae
Last edited by LaurieHolden on Thu Aug 24, 2023 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 100 times
Been liked: 118 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

I've watched a lot of him in the VFL. He really doesn't do anything much, ever, that makes you think he could be (let alone is) a senior footballer.
Piethagoras' Theorem
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Piethagoras' Theorem »

Yep, fairly bland footballer from what I've seen
Formally frankiboy and FrankieGoesToCollingwood.
RudeBoy
Been liked: 85 times

Post by RudeBoy »

FrankieGoesToCollingwood wrote:Yep, fairly bland footballer from what I've seen
Hard but fair. :cry:
Culprit
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 36 times

Post by Culprit »

The Bombers are very keen on him. He needs a Senior opportunity as he's becoming stale in the VFL. Unfortunately, this is what happens at a lot of clubs.
Jezza
Has liked: 175 times
Been liked: 236 times

Post by Jezza »

Been named for the Essendon match.
Although, he start the game as the sub.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
WhyPhilWhy?
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 26 times

Post by WhyPhilWhy? »

Him and a 2nd rounder to the Dogs for Bailey Smith, who wants more midfield time...
derkd
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by derkd »

WhyPhilWhy? wrote:Him and a 2nd rounder to the Dogs for Bailey Smith, who wants more midfield time...
Dreaming, he is worth easy a first rounder (Smith). At any rate he (Smith) is off to Geelong , is the strong mail i am hearing. You can't package lose parts together to get a diamond in return.
"To know nothing of events before your birth, is to forever remain a child" - Cicero (Roman Lawyer/Senator) 46 BCE.