Post Match. Hawks humble Pies . All comments.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

Raw Hammer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Raw Hammer »

We need to win 2 more to guarantee 1-2 finish because our percentage will fall under Brisbane. Melbourne will pass out percentage today after they demolish North.

Only chance of finishing 1 or 2 with just one win is defeating Brisbane. Fingers crossed Fremantle defeat the Lions today in Perth.

On form, it’s likely to be:

1. Melbourne
2. Brisbane
3. Collingwood
4. Port Adelaide

Royally cocked up our season the past two weeks.
Est. 2002
daics aka the ruckman
Been liked: 3 times

Post by daics aka the ruckman »

bally12 wrote: .... The Mcreery move into centre bounces is worth persevering with. Thought Mcstay showed some good signs.
... We had 3 tall forwards but not once did they lead in different directions. We did the long ball on top of their heads again. We even bombed it long on top of Jamie's and Hill's head...
I was very interested in the forward line today. A pass for Mcreery, Mcstay and Elliot.
Bobby makes bad decisions too often - coming down the wing and kicking to opposition.
Checkers is not impacting - give him a rest.
Ash likes to lead and / or have a run and jump for the ball. Unfortunately when our mids are beaten it all comes into the forward line slow and high and into packs.
Possible forward ins. Cameron spends more time at full forward. Kreuger. Will kelly. Something.
go pies
RudeBoy
Been liked: 85 times

Post by RudeBoy »

Reality check everyone.

We are a top side. We aren't 2 games plus percentage clear on top of the ladder for no reason. Sure, we've played a few shite games in the 2nd half of the season, but Premierships are won in September not July or August.

What seems clear to me, is that Mitchell is shot, Johnson is not hard enough, and Lipinski is a tad soft. Now, if the reports are true, we will also be missing Murphy. So we need to replace these with 4 players imo.

Cox to replace Johnson. At least he has a record as a big game player.

Carmichael to replace Mitchell.

WHE to replace Lipinski.

Frampton to replace Murphy.

Then the club psychologists have to get to work, to get our players delivering that manic heavy metal type football which got us to the top of the ladder.

Do that, and the Cats won't know what's hit them.

I'm confident, we'll settle the ship and hit the finals in great shape.
Collingwouldn't
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Collingwouldn't »

Jezza wrote:Putting a positive spin on the result:

The Hawks have beaten us in 1977, 1980, 1981, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2010 and 2018. In all those years, we made the Grand Final.

Worth remembering before we completely write ourselves off.
That'd be 2 flags in 8 Grand Finals. Positive? Hmmm ...
Haff
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 41 times

Post by Haff »

RudeBoy wrote:Reality check everyone.

We are a top side. We aren't 2 games plus percentage clear on top of the ladder for no reason. Sure, we've played a few shite games in the 2nd half of the season, but Premierships are won in September not July or August.

What seems clear to me, is that Mitchell is shot, Johnson is not hard enough, and Lipinski is a tad soft. Now, if the reports are true, we will also be missing Murphy. So we need to replace these with 4 players imo.

Cox to replace Johnson. At least he has a record as a big game player.

Carmichael to replace Mitchell.

WHE to replace Lipinski.

Frampton to replace Murphy.

Then the club psychologists have to get to work, to get our players delivering that manic heavy metal type football which got us to the top of the ladder.

Do that, and the Cats won't know what's hit them.

I'm confident, we'll settle the ship and hit the finals in great shape.
Agree with all of the above save that we are a top side. IMO we WERE a top side. Not anymore. Not with a game plan that’s 3 months old. I don’t know how but the ship needs to be righted this week.
Lipinski is not best 22. McRae should have come in but now is injured. Carmichael maybe, at least he has the shoe.
Is Murphy done?
The match day thread is for unfiltered BS knee jerk reactions. The time for level headed comment comes after.
Dark Beanie
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Dark Beanie »

VFL side is playing Werribee today @ 12.00pm.

Anyone interested can watch on 7 & 7HD or via VFL website:

https://www.afl.com.au/vfl/matches/5263
If you are foolish enough to be contented, don't show it, but just grumble with the rest. - Jerome K Jerome
Clifton Hill-Billy
Been liked: 10 times

Post by Clifton Hill-Billy »

Hopefully we are doing in this season what we have in games for 18 months, losing 4 or 5 games leading into the finals, then everyone will write us off and then we do finals the hard way with interstate finals and win the granny by 1 pt. Or we are completely cooked and peaked in July. Our centre clearance, contested ball and ground ball gets are a major concern as are injuries. The season is on a knife-edge, stray but a little and it will be lost beyond recovery. Taylor Adams has been diabolical for 2 weeks, so has Lipinski. Fly obviously didn't watch the aints dawks match and how they took Sicily out of the equation, sending a defensive Forward to him should have been as predictable as Naicos getting a hard tag. Carmichael in, Adams out. Stop subbing titch if he's not injured and if we kick a goal we need to learn how to win the next centre clearance we have gone back to being as bad in this area as in Buckley's final year maybe even worse
"Hey Ma get off the dang roof!"
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 129 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Dirty day got even dirtier. Nick D 2-3 weeks, Murph up to 4 weeks, Titch a quad so 2 weeks you’d reckon. And something wrong with Adams they haven’t told us. It’s not enough to be flogged by a bottom side going into finals, but we had to get key injuries too.
tbaker

Post by tbaker »

Jpies wrote:
shawthing wrote:Seven confirms that Murphy out for the rest of the season with syndesmosis. https://www.orthobullets.com/foot-and-a ... sis-injury
Is there an article where they say this? I would be very surprised if anyone knowledgeable would be comfortable making that call at this stage.

All I've heard is that it may be a mild syndesmosis injury. There have been plenty of examples of people returning to competitive sports after a few weeks with a mild syndesmosis injury. I will remain optimistic that he might be available for finals until the club confirms otherwise.
Ch7 said he'd miss the rest of the home & away season...however any commentary is pure speculation at this point.
I find your lack of faith disturbing
tbaker

Post by tbaker »

Mr Miyagi wrote:Dirty day got even dirtier. Nick D 2-3 weeks, Murph up to 4 weeks, Titch a quad so 2 weeks you’d reckon. And something wrong with Adams they haven’t told us. It’s not enough to be flogged by a bottom side going into finals, but we had to get key injuries too.
Source? The club?
23 YIPPEE!!!

Post by 23 YIPPEE!!! »

cats game out: murphy nick daicos mitchell lipinski johnson adams
in: mcrae carmicheal frampton mcinness allan

time to whild the axe

time to play the kids till round 24
Boot

Post by Boot »

A very dirty day for the Collingwood club at the G against a known bogy side in Hawthorn. Lots of talk about a heavy loading program at training leading to the team looking lethargic. I fear that is wishful thinking.
The injuries' to Murphy, Nick Daicos and potentially to Adams and Mitchel just add a hurtful layer of salt to the wound.
Couple of angst thoughts from the game;
1. I'm just about done with Ash Johnson's lack of intensity and I think his inclusion for Cox upset team balance.
2. Cameron was creamed by Reeves which contributed to a thrashing at the center square contests. Cameron isn't good enough to carry the rusk all day. We need Cox to add support to the ruck and then be a handy target up forward.
3. Frampton should have played. He would have been an ideal match for Lewis.
Moving forward;
Out : Murphy, N.Daicos, Lipinski, Mitchell

B: Maynard, Frampton, Howe
HB: Noble, Moore, Ruscoe
C: Sidebottom, Adams, J.Daicos
HF: McCreery, Mihocek, Hill
F: Ginnivan, McStay, Elliot
R: Cameron, DeGoey, Pendlebury
IC: Crisp, Cox, Carmichael, Hoskin-Elliot
Sub: Markov
Collingwood Domination. Envy of the Nation!
tbaker

Post by tbaker »

90 nice wrote:cats game out: murphy nick daicos mitchell lipinski johnson adams
in: mcrae carmicheal frampton mcinness allan

time to whild the axe

time to play the kids till round 24
Time to not throw the baby out with the bathwater. There will be some changes but there should be a real intent and focus by the whole team for the next game and beyond. Don't need a change of personnel for that to occur, just a change in attitude and commitment - as Fly said, a lot of it is above the shoulders.
Boot

Post by Boot »

The other observation from yesterday's disaster was that Collingwood coaching staff failed to curb Hawthorn's greatest weapon which is Sicily's drive from the half back line. Surely after Ross Lyon showed the world that it is key to beating the Hawks to stop, or at least limit, the output of Sicily then Collingowood would have done same. The perfect player to assign to nullify Sicily would have been Howe who has the Physical attributes to run with him and ourmark and the smarts to offer a forward threat that would keep Sicily accountable.
Even if it meant shifting Mihocek to the backline for team balance.
Collingwood Domination. Envy of the Nation!
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

Dark Beanie wrote:VFL side is playing Werribee today @ 12.00pm.

Anyone interested can watch on 7 & 7HD or via VFL website:

https://www.afl.com.au/vfl/matches/5263
Thanks for reminding me. Big big game for any player who seriously wants to play seniors, especially for a ruckman or KPP like Kruger.
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️