Post Match. Hawks humble Pies . All comments.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

23 YIPPEE!!!

Post by 23 YIPPEE!!! »

Who now is already thinking of 2024
Methinks a loss to the cats and we are washed up for 2023
What'sinaname
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 18 times

Post by What'sinaname »

^ Lose to the Cats and Lions and we are done. We’ll be playing interstate finals
Fighting against the objectification of woman.
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 100 times
Been liked: 118 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

^ Realistically, Collingwood only have to win 1 of the remaining 3 games to finish 1st or 2nd. We are still at least 2 games clear of 2nd and 3rd (3 games ahead of 3rd before the Bears play) after this round.
Haff
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 41 times

Post by Haff »

Pies4shaw wrote:^ Realistically, Collingwood only have to win 1 of the remaining 3 games to finish 1st or 2nd. We are still at least 2 games clear of 2nd and 3rd (3 games ahead of 3rd before the Bears play) after this round.
So? Win 1 of the next 3. Head into finals 1 and 5? That’s a damn disaster.
The match day thread is for unfiltered BS knee jerk reactions. The time for level headed comment comes after.
23 YIPPEE!!!

Post by 23 YIPPEE!!! »

Brisbane at the Gabba qualify final looms now
Culprit
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 36 times

Post by Culprit »

As I was in flight heading back to Melbourne thinking we will notch up another win I land late last night and found out the Hawks won and we've got a few injuries. Yet to watch the replay. WTF.
Haff

Post by Haff »

Culprit wrote:As I was in flight heading back to Melbourne thinking we will notch up another win I land late last night and found out the Hawks won and we've got a few injuries. Yet to watch the replay. WTF.
Wouldn’t bother. Is a disaster from start to finish.
The match day thread is for unfiltered BS knee jerk reactions. The time for level headed comment comes after.
Mossi
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Mossi »

Just saw few highlights from the Hawks game! From both the weeks. We seem to be that split of a second off in everything, I'm no expert in how to bring a team to a peak for finals when we play such a tough running game. Loading a month before finals is a known technique. And the slowness associated in how we are playing all point to that!
23 YIPPEE!!!

Post by 23 YIPPEE!!! »

Only thing i put it down to is heavy training loading and come the match at the weekend we are cooked.

I do see them train at aia and its like an army comando training they are doing.

Not sure if it pay off tho.

We still need wins between now and september.

First time under fly we have had back to back loses.

Also players getting ahead of themselves and like signing 6 year contracts then play crap the next week.

But its heavy training loads ill put it down too.

Like to see Pies finally tho sew up top 2 very soon v cats prefereably.

And not leaving it so late as the essendon game where we have a must win situation.

Chalk up that win and then wait for finals.
Haff

Post by Haff »

Waking up lying in bed and yet to watch the press conference.
I actually feel worse. If last week was the wake up call what was last night? Have we slept walked back into mediocrity? It certainly feels that way. The signs have been there but winning heals everything.
The dream is turning into a nightmare and if that’s our best team, I don’t see how we avoid walking up in a cold sweat around mid September after just two finals.
Is premiership or bust for me. Ultimate glory this year or our stars drop right off (our god forbid Pendles retires) and we’ve got no young foundation coming through save Daicos who has been found out.
In 2010 I think we fell over the line against hawthorn then were piped by Adelaide the last two rounds. Maxwell explained it as it’s hard to stay up every week. If this is that it’s a long way out. No this is 2011, this is a spluttering car. This is trying to do what was dominant 10 weeks ago. The only difference is, Malthouse was an arrogant fossil, Fly isn’t that. I don’t know how we fix it but I guess in Fly we trust because we ain’t got no choice. Buckle in, this is going to get bumpy and I hope not a train wreck!
Haff

Post by Haff »

Mossi wrote:Just saw few highlights from the Hawks game! From both the weeks. We seem to be that split of a second off in everything, I'm no expert in how to bring a team to a peak for finals when we play such a tough running game. Loading a month before finals is a known technique. And the slowness associated in how we are playing all point to that!
Despite my ramble this is about the only excuse I can think of. Amazing that we have that luxury and god I hope it’s the case. If it is fly is a genius.
stoliboy
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 57 times

Post by stoliboy »

Pies4shaw wrote:^ Realistically, Collingwood only have to win 1 of the remaining 3 games to finish 1st or 2nd. We are still at least 2 games clear of 2nd and 3rd (3 games ahead of 3rd before the Bears play) after this round.
Brisbane and Melbourne are both a chance to overtake us and knock us into 3rd or 4th.

Currently the ladder is:
1. Collingwood: 64 points - 128.0%
2. Port Adelaide: 56 points - 108.5%
3. Brisbane: 52 points - 125.2% (game in hand)
4. Melbourne: 52 points - 124.3% (game in hand)

So we could end the round with 3 teams on 56 points (Port in 4th position).

If we lose the next two games and Brisbane + Melbourne win by big enough margins they could pass us on percentage.

That also rings true if we win 1 of our last 3. Could still be passed in the final round on percentage.

A really dangerous period coming up for the Pies.

1) We need to win next week against Geelong
2) Need to beat Brisbane in two weeks time (win that game and we guarantee a top 2 finish).
3) Beat Essendon.
Sydney Collingwood Supporters Club
http://sydneymagpies.magpies.net/
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 174 times
Been liked: 176 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

^Mossi, fair observation, kind of how I saw the first QTR. We were in it but those regulation missed set shots from Elliott then Ash, then some poor field kicking into the forward 50 gave them rebound opportunities, which they duly turned into scoring opportunities. They hammered us on the rebound.
That allowed them to gap us, and as they did their confidence grew.

I thought they played with the same style and spirit as we did in the first half of the season, and our deplorable field kicking and disposal just caused turnovers.
We were chasing them all game from there.

While he wasn't Robinson Crusoe, I thought that was JDG's poorest game that I can remember. He looks distracted.
Moore should be embarrassed by that performance.
Nick got man-handled. Looked like a second year player against season veterans. Trouble is, it wasn't.
When we had the 12 point goal & free, that should have been enough of a switch, but it was them that responded.

One of my gripes about match day commentary on here is not respecting the opposition, and then bemoaning our side when we get the heat applied to us.
While we're not here to cheer the opposition, players and supporters need to switch on to what's in front of them. The Hawks were good and made us 2nd guess. Their defensive game was as good as I've seen this year.
Then you get their stars Sicily and Breust playing blinders. Our stars played blunders.

Not sure what the response is going to be. Personnel change won't flick the switch. That was our best side.
Although I was on record for Frampton in for Cox, particularly against those Hawthorn talls. That was a selection mistake.
Mitchell looks to have a corky, Murphy foot might end his season and Josh got one of those awkward knee knocks.

I haven't watched Macraes presser yet. But as I said in the match-day thread, Ted Lasso out, Barassi in. And bring your mouthguards to training Monday.
Last edited by LaurieHolden on Sun Aug 06, 2023 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
ANNODAM
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 34 times

Post by ANNODAM »

Yes we need to win 1 more, but do we really wanna be heading into September in a form slump & relying on other teams win/loss ratio?

With 3 Rnds to go, we still have time to turn this around, we’ll know more after the GEEL game.
God help us should we lose our remaining games, an interstate final looms, either against BNE or PA.
WE WERE ROBBED, RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME, RIGHT IN FRONT OF MEEE!

N.Y METS, N.Y GIANTS, PENRITH PANTHERS & HOBART HURRICANES FAN.

WE ALL LOOK GOOD AT TRAINING, IT'S THE MATCHES THAT COUNT!
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

ANNODAM wrote: God help us should we lose our remaining games, an interstate final looms, either against BNE or PA.
Well talking of reality, if we play like we did yesterday, we will definitely lose our remaining games. Nothing could be more certain. That pathetic loss cannot be repeated. It was bloody awful.
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️