Post Match. Hawks humble Pies . All comments.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

Jpies

Post by Jpies »

shawthing wrote:Seven confirms that Murphy out for the rest of the season with syndesmosis. https://www.orthobullets.com/foot-and-a ... sis-injury
Is there an article where they say this? I would be very surprised if anyone knowledgeable would be comfortable making that call at this stage.

All I've heard is that it may be a mild syndesmosis injury. There have been plenty of examples of people returning to competitive sports after a few weeks with a mild syndesmosis injury. I will remain optimistic that he might be available for finals until the club confirms otherwise.
Woods Of Ypres
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Woods Of Ypres »

just got home from the game (had a few cans in between)
my main concern is how we got smashed in the middle

De Goey - thinks he is stronger than he actually is (how many times pinged)
Mitchell - prize recruit seems cooked
Adams - MIA
Lipinski - over-rated by pies fans, fringe player for Footscray don't forget.
think positive
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 90 times

Post by think positive »

Gerry Cooper wrote:
Magpietothemax wrote:
Gerry Cooper wrote: Because what's said in the team room stays in the team room, perhaps?
Sorry, not sure what you mean by this. Please clarify.
I mean what Fly says in his pressers maybe very different to what he says to the players in their private team meeting post game. Fly knows the value of PR and I think wouldn't be giving the media a sniff of what might be being said about their efforts in the team's private space.
Bingo

Well I’m glad I missed it!

Next
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
think positive
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 90 times

Post by think positive »

So cats could only manage to win by 12 at home with port missing 4 of their best 22, the defender being a huge out

It ain’t all doom and gloom, every team is playing their GF against us. From what I hear , not from the atrocious game day thread, gees guts get a grip, but elsewhere it was a pathetic chooks heads off performance from us. Complacent? Mix things up, Ginnie for lipinski for a start!

And get the forwards shooting for goal at least an hour a day!

Go pies!!!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
Piesnchess
Has liked: 202 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by Piesnchess »

^ Good time to be in Canada T P, and I have a shocking cold and hacking cough, so I missed it too thank heavens ! yeh, we will hit back hard next week, we have too, make bout 4 changes, Ginnni in, yes, re fresh the side, and come out breathing fire, hit back hard at those Catters. I have NO doubt Fly will have us really pumped for this one. ! Time for redemption. !
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
bally12

Post by bally12 »

Man what a depressing day. Black night in Collingwood that's for sure.
Where do you start. Our zoning defence was godawful. We just let them waltz the ball out of their back 50 up to the wing by letting them hit up short targets in acres of space all the way. Its like we conceded half the ground to them and the match was played in their forward half. Ridiculous.
Cameron was slaughtered in the ruck. 18-2 clearance differential. Goodness me. Bring back Coxy please.
Player wise we have a lot holes in our team to the extent we can only be truly competitive if we play our manic pressure game.
Why we didn't make Sicily accountable is next level stupid by our coaches.
The Mcreery move into centre bounces is worth persevering with. Thought Mcstay showed some good signs.
Frampton needs to be in the side as the extra big body in defence to crash packs. There was one goal from a static play where Maynard was up against 3 flying tall hawks. Woeful stuff.
Johnson is obviously talented but jogs after the ball and opponent when they are 5 metres away. Absolutely no intensity or desperation. I'd pull him from the side for the rest of the year and replace with kamikaze Kreugs.
We had 3 tall forwards but not once did they lead in different directions. We did the long ball on top of their heads again. We even bombed it long on top of Jamie's and Hill's head. No quick chaos balls today, we were so stagnant.
I think we're cooked and only some bold and crazy moves in the hope of injecting some life back into us, is the way to go. Blood the youngsters from the vfl, even if it means dropping to 4th and losing the home final. You never know, one of the kids may surprise.. I'm thinking Allan, Carmy, Mcrae , Mcinness, Kelly, Ginni, Ruscoe, Kreugs. Well not all.. At least a few over the next 2 games.
Over to you coaches. Now is when you earn your money.
pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

^Looking at the whiskey bottle about now wondering whether to break my go-dry spell! :x
In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
Piesnchess

Post by Piesnchess »

WE are NOT cooked, thats just ludicrous, we had a real bad day at the Office, hey it happens, to all teams, now an then. We have top two sown up, so thats just silly, Port lost too, so we cannot drop from top two. Losing the home final is nuts too. jeezus, we had one really lousy game, time to harden up, get behind the team , yeh, make a few changes next week, re fresh the side and come out breathing fire. ! I have faith in our Coach to get this team back on track. We had so many players down in that match, that wont happen again, rest asssured of that. Support the team thru bad times and the good times, next week will be totaly different match. :o
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

^Give us a bit of time to sulk! :wink:
In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
Jezza
Has liked: 175 times
Been liked: 236 times

Post by Jezza »

Fly's presser

What's causing the downturn in form? Are you in a heavy training block, or are you in a genuine form slump physically and/or mentally?
"It's fascinating, isn't it? The psychology of professional sport. Credit to Hawthorn, I'll never stand in front of you or sit in front of you and denigrate the opposition because I thought their efforts were outstanding. The psychology of ladder position potentially, it's interesting where our players put their energy. There's a bit of play late in the game; I think it might have been Morrison tackles Noble and the crowd roars. Then 4 or 5 players get over to celebrate the tackle. That's been us for a large part of the last 18 months. That's been our energy levels and our want and excitement for others. It's a fascinating game this. I think the game's played above the head more than people give it credit for".
How do you fix this issue? First time you've lost consecutive games since Rounds 8-9 last year.
"You can only judge on what you see, and the players get to work and they come in and they prepare as good as any team I've ever seen. That was no different this week. I thought we prepared really well for the opposition. Knew what was coming. Uncontested possessions. I thought funnily enough, I tend to write a script on what the game can do and potentially threats before the game and the script in my head was they get a fast start and 4 or 5 goals in front of us, we'll be chasing our tail all game. That was the script I had in my head. That was one thing I was worried about. Got to be careful what you wish for. I think it's like anything, win, lose or draw we're in the growth mindset business. I hate losing more than most people. I must say that I'm not a bad loser, but I just hate losing. I'll do anything to make this group better and improve ourselves. This is not the end of the world. We're not wearing black armbands for this loss. It's just a moment in time. We've got work to do. There's great lessons that can be learned from this afternoon and certainly around that hunger and psychology. I'll be digging a bit deeper".
You've had a couple of players go down with injury. Can you give us an update on that?
"There's more than the 4 points lost here to those couple of players that we could be chasing the clock to get up. I think Nathan Murphy, it looks like he might have a syndesmosis. We're getting that scanned. Hearing on the low end of that if that is actually what it is. Nick [Daicos] got a knock to the knee, which we'll get a scan to see if there's anything more deeper than just a knock".
Can you give us a bit more detail on Nathan Murphy's injury. Is it possible he doesn't make it back until September
"I'm not going to make comment on that because we don't know until the scan. The doctor just say he's concerned that it might be syndesmosis low-grade. We'll know more when we get the scan so [he's] likely to be out next week as a minimum".
Tom Mitchell had ice on his leg. Do you have any concern there?
"No, not that I'm aware of".
What did Nick Daicos learn from today?
"It's not about Nick, but I think we all learn a lot about ourselves. The level of the tag was what we expected. Nick gets a bit of a knock, makes it harder for him to run off as much, so we put him deep. It didn't quite work. Then in the end you go, we're actually tying ourselves in knots here trying to find a place for Nick and it's actually disconnecting other parts of our game. In the end, we just went with what we knew. Back to a bit of a normal system. I think credit to Finn Maginness, he's found a role for himself in the AFL. He's a great kid. Lucky enough to work with him for 12 months. He works as hard on his game as anyone I've ever seen. Challenges always present".
When did Nick Daicos get that knock?
"I think second quarter. I don't know exactly [the time]. I don't want to take away from [the opposition]. We're not a team that gets a losers lip going. I'm not going to live in that world".
Could Nick Daicos have got better support from his teammates?
"We talked about that pregame, so it's an interesting question. I'm not sure. I have to look at the tape. We like to think we look after each other quite well. I think the disconnection between our game a little bit has just gone off the last couple of weeks if you compare that tackle on the boundary line to what we do. Maybe their wasn't enough of those efforts consistently enough. We'll look deeper into that, but I think we have great pride in our connection in the last 18 months and tonight wasn't that".
How did you assess the Blake Hardwick matchup on Jamie Elliott? Elliott kicked 3, but Hardwick still played very well.
"I would have thought that most of their players would have said they played well. I haven't seen him play like that this year. They're a young team that will look back at this game and be 'wow, we beat Collingwood at the MCG'. That gives them great hope for what's [in] the future. For us, it's about learning good lessons along the way. Getting our best players playing good. I didn't think our best players played well tonight, so we get back to work on that. Like any team, if you don't have your best players playing well, it makes it hard for others".
Will you look at Billy Frampton coming back in to replace Nathan Murphy?
"Yeah, Billy was meant to play tomorrow [in the VFL]. I think we'll rest him and keep him in mind for 5 days time or what it is post tomorrow".
Do you still need to tinker with the mix of talls forward of the ball? Today you lost centre clearances 18-3 which was a massive discrepancy.
"Yeah, 18-3 [at] centre bounces is not a great result, is it? If you just want to be pragmatic and call it what it is, you lose 18-3 then the ball's played in your back half, and you have to transition well. We can make all these other things up, but that's one thing we just need to get better at. We're a work in progress. This is not the last game of the year and neither is next week. We're working towards finding out some answers and some of these questions are upon us. We've got to find out quickly, don't we? Because there's three weeks to go in the regular season so we need to find out a bit more".
There was a view during the week that the Carlton loss would be 'beneficial'. Do you think you'll look back at this last fortnight when you're in September and say it was 'really helpful' in getting you through to where you want to get to?
"Yeah, I live in that world that I reckon I'd like to think so. I'm an optimistic guy, and I look on the bright side of life and look for the good in things. In the last couple of weeks, there's a lot of parts of our game that just doesn't look the same as what it has [in the past]. This is a long journey. A marathon. I'd like to think so whenever we get to reflect on this season, we look back and 'oh that was a moment'. We learned a lot last week. There was so much we learned last week, and we presented it to the players and then we'll learn a little bit more this week. Our best is in front of us, I'm confident of that".
https://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/video/ ... 1230843001
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
Piesnchess

Post by Piesnchess »

^ Fly is very good at the Pressers, calm and measured , not panicking, well answered, very intelligent guy, and re assuring. As he said we now have work to do, time to knuckle down, re fresh, re set with some changes to the team. The only question I would have asked him was on that annoying bastard Sicily, why the heck did we not tag him, send Maynard too him, anyone, just tag the mongrel. they tagged Daicos, that was a mystery. Fly says our best is yet to come, so, again , in Fly we trust. !

What'sinaname
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 18 times

Post by What'sinaname »

Gerry Cooper wrote:
What'sinaname wrote:So, Ash, Checkers and McStay in the same forward line does not work.
it hasn't worked because the three twits keep flying for the same mark instead of trying for some separation. Forward coaches need to work on that.
Yep, drives me nuts. We supposedly move the ball quickly, but in reality, we switch, move the ball quickly to about 60m out then stop, wait and allow the oppo to flood back. We then bomb to 15m out to a pack of 12 players.
Fighting against the objectification of woman.
Big T
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by Big T »

Glad this is happening now. Time to recover
Buon Giorno
23 YIPPEE!!!

Post by 23 YIPPEE!!! »

Welcome to Collingwood Fly this is how we roll
The land of the set backs
23 YIPPEE!!!

Post by 23 YIPPEE!!! »