Post Match. Hawks humble Pies . All comments.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

What'sinaname
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 18 times

Post by What'sinaname »

Why don't we move the ball quickly inside 50.

We do all this hard work and then stop and wait until the Hawks flood back.
Fighting against the objectification of woman.
Piesnchess
Has liked: 202 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by Piesnchess »

shawthing wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:
Leggie wrote:Ah well
Looks like Cats will beat Port

I would much prefer to face a Cats side that won, tonight, than one that lost, and be in a mood to face us.
Not likely. If the Cats lost tonight their season would be done. Now (with the Giants losing in Sydney) they'll be back in the eight and playing for their season. Geelong will come to play. But will we?

Well, if we dont come to play against them, we never will, after todays poor effort, backs against the wall now, going gets tough, tough get going, we had very few good players today, very few, cannot see that happening again, Every game is a different game, as an old bloke told me decades ago, down at the old Moorabbin ground. 8)
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

Fly: "In the end, we were tying ourselves in knots trying to find a place for Nick. It was disconnecting other parts of our game. In the end, we went with what we knew. "
Another disconcerting quote from Fly.
If our game is tied in knots when we can't determine the role for Nick - one 20 year old player - then we are in real trouble.
Will need to find a way in the next couple of weeks it seems maybe without Nick.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
Hiss
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Post by Hiss »

Do we have an alternative Captain for 2024? There are serious doubts about his form! We need a massive injection of youth instead of playing these senior citizens. We are worse than Geelong. Let’s start rebuilding now. Bring back Ginnavan as Vice Captain. Recruit Connor Rozzee from Port, trade Elliott , Sidebottom, Cox, Pendlebury, Howe. We can then get Ugle Hagen , English, Cunnow . That’s how you win Premierships.
I love this club and I hold anyone in contempt who does not think it is worth fighting for.
Piesnchess

Post by Piesnchess »

^ Maybe rest Nick next week, re fresh him, might do him the world of good in the long run.
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Gerry Cooper
Has liked: 146 times
Been liked: 39 times

Post by Gerry Cooper »

A pretty awful loss all round. Things for consideration.

1) Forward line functioning - talls (and Jamie) are frequently spoiling each other all going for the same mark. Coaches need to drum into them to either separate to provide options or provide support. Im not going to bag Johnson because those marking issues repeatedly negated most of his effectiveness today.

2) Given the above and our generally poor disposal at the moment - a bomb on forward's heads is not a percentage option - particularly when our crumbing is almost non-existent.

3) After years of the best service any club could wish for, Pendles and Sidey are done. Both are getting caught more and more, pressure acts have dropped off for both and both are frequently causing turnovers. Whilst players of their quality will always contribute something, carrying them into next season to provide a fairy tale ending to their service is starting to look like wishful thinking.

4) Please no more Lipinski. I'm sick of his poor kicking and turnovers under pressure and his poorly executed defensive pressure acts.

5) Good to see McCreery starting to work in the midfield. That's his future I think.

6) When our own style is used against us, we arent coping very well. A bit more close marking and man on man tactics might help as others have pointed out.

7) Unlike many on here, I still see NIck Daicos as a young player learning the game with lots more to learn. As a result he will have good and bad days. Please dont load him up with our expectations etc as being the hope of the club etc. Such undue pressure will ultimately affect his development if its not kept in perspective.

8) All the best to Murph and Nick, I hope their scans turn out alright.
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.�
Piesnchess

Post by Piesnchess »

Hiss wrote:Do we have an alternative Captain for 2024? There are serious doubts about his form! We need a massive injection of youth instead of playing these senior citizens. We are worse than Geelong. Let’s start rebuilding now. Bring back Ginnavan as Vice Captain. Recruit Connor Rozzee from Port, trade Elliott , Sidebottom, Cox, Pendlebury, Howe. We can then get Ugle Hagen , English, Cunnow . That’s how you win Premierships.

Good ol Corio five star whiskey, kicking in again hey Hiss. :shock:

Gerry Cooper
Has liked: 146 times
Been liked: 39 times

Post by Gerry Cooper »

Magpietothemax wrote:
Gerry Cooper wrote:
Magpietothemax wrote: Why was fly entertaining such a script, when we are top of the ladder, and Hawthorn is 16th??
Because what's said in the team room stays in the team room, perhaps?
Sorry, not sure what you mean by this. Please clarify.
I mean what Fly says in his pressers maybe very different to what he says to the players in their private team meeting post game. Fly knows the value of PR and I think wouldn't be giving the media a sniff of what might be being said about their efforts in the team's private space.
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.�
Haff
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 41 times

Post by Haff »

Hiss wrote:Do we have an alternative Captain for 2024? There are serious doubts about his form! We need a massive injection of youth instead of playing these senior citizens. We are worse than Geelong. Let’s start rebuilding now. Bring back Ginnavan as Vice Captain. Recruit Connor Rozzee from Port, trade Elliott , Sidebottom, Cox, Pendlebury, Howe. We can then get Ugle Hagen , English, Cunnow . That’s how you win Premierships.
That’s better. I thought I’d lost you!
The match day thread is for unfiltered BS knee jerk reactions. The time for level headed comment comes after.
Cam
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Cam »

Thought today might happen, mentioned it to my seat buddy. Hawks have been successfully tanking all year and today gave a glimpse of what is coming for them. Annoying too.

Hope we are setting ourselves for the next 3 weeks as the dead rubbers are over.
Get back on top.
shawthing
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 85 times

Post by shawthing »

Seven confirms that Murphy out for the rest of the season with syndesmosis. https://www.orthobullets.com/foot-and-a ... sis-injury

Hold your breath on Nick Daicos who is having scans on his knee!
pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

If there's consolation in this type of disappointment it's that you know it's always going to happen given the trajectory we're on.

The next step is filling in the missing parts that a prematurely successful game plan has papered over. If the club has been good enough to over-achieve early, it's good enough to deal with the disappointment that is likely to come with that.

In a way, you'd rather have got whacked much earlier than the Melbourne game to have been grounded earlier. But it's hard if not impossible to keep winning and truly believe deep down there's still a long way to go.

But that's a pretty common life test. It almost always happens in virtually everything in life. It's how we dig in and ground ourselves knowing there's a way to go yet that counts.

Keep at it lads, and keep at it Fly, Wrighty and co. There's no blame for or shame in over-achieving early. In any case, the real kudos was always going to come with working through this very phase when it hit, going deeper and further with the changes.

And there's still a long way to go in the season yet.
In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
ANNODAM
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 34 times

Post by ANNODAM »

shawthing wrote:
ANNODAM wrote:Every player needs to be on a 1yr contract & reviewed at the end of the season.

Fkn 1000yr contracts, mate I have no idea where I’ll be next week, let alone 5-6yrs from now…

FMD!
Can't work. Their managers will get them a better longer deal somewhere else. Player managers run the game now, not the clubs or the AFL.

I mean right across the board (every player, every team) there is absolutely NO REASON the Clubs should be signing players up to fkn stupid 7yr deals - 2yrs tops, these mega contracts are gonna come back to bite us.

It didn’t work with Treloar, it didn’t work with Grundy & it certainly won’t work with the Daicos bros.
WE WERE ROBBED, RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME, RIGHT IN FRONT OF MEEE!

N.Y METS, N.Y GIANTS, PENRITH PANTHERS & HOBART HURRICANES FAN.

WE ALL LOOK GOOD AT TRAINING, IT'S THE MATCHES THAT COUNT!
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

Gerry Cooper wrote:
Magpietothemax wrote:
Gerry Cooper wrote: Because what's said in the team room stays in the team room, perhaps?
Sorry, not sure what you mean by this. Please clarify.
I mean what Fly says in his pressers maybe very different to what he says to the players in their private team meeting post game. Fly knows the value of PR and I think wouldn't be giving the media a sniff of what might be being said about their efforts in the team's private space.
Good call, Gerry.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
ANNODAM
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 34 times

Post by ANNODAM »

Well let’s look at it this way, it’s retro round & HAW played like they did in the 80s, unfortunately so did we…
WE WERE ROBBED, RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME, RIGHT IN FRONT OF MEEE!

N.Y METS, N.Y GIANTS, PENRITH PANTHERS & HOBART HURRICANES FAN.

WE ALL LOOK GOOD AT TRAINING, IT'S THE MATCHES THAT COUNT!