Post Match. Hawks humble Pies . All comments.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

What'sinaname
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 18 times

Post by What'sinaname »

stoliboy wrote:Fly said Murphy's injury looks like ankle syndesmosis (low grade).

Here is an article from 2022 about AFL injuries and syndesmosis.

What happens when you bust your syndesmosis?
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/wha ... 59xx3.html
can you give us the TL;DR version
Fighting against the objectification of woman.
shawthing
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 85 times

Post by shawthing »

woodys_world69 wrote:Knee injuries for Murph and Daicos, they will wait for scans tomorrow.
Hold your breath, and if you're a religious person say your prayers. If these guys have to have recos we are saying goodbye to next season as well.
shawthing

Post by shawthing »

ANNODAM wrote:Every player needs to be on a 1yr contract & reviewed at the end of the season.

Fkn 1000yr contracts, mate I have no idea where I’ll be next week, let alone 5-6yrs from now…

FMD!
Can't work. Their managers will get them a better longer deal somewhere else. Player managers run the game now, not the clubs or the AFL.
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 129 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

WTF is it with injuries against bottom teams.
shawthing

Post by shawthing »

choppa wrote:
What'sinaname wrote:Port in front now.
and how GOOD are their midfield. I am envious
If we had our backline (at their best - not today), Port's mids and Brisbane's forward line we'd win every flag for the next ten years. Alas!
woodys_world69
Been liked: 25 times

Post by woodys_world69 »

Demons are the favorites for the cup this year now
Monco Matt

Post by Monco Matt »

Mr Miyagi wrote:
Monco Matt wrote:All contracts should be done at season's end. I understand wanting to tie players down but all too often we see players form drop away when this happens in-season. Players need to be kept on the edge, keep the carrot dangling. I though after the Grundy debacle we would have learned this lesson.
Please point out in the game where Josh and Nick were taking it easy thanks to their six year deals. Because they $$%^%%$ didn’t.
Thanks for putting words into my mouth. I was mostly thinking of Cox as far as form dropping off, comparing to Grundy, but yes, if you insist, can you say Josh & Nick had good games today? Below their standard? It is not about them specifically, but what I think it does is put all players at ease around them as well. It is just my preference to not resign players when we are hot in the middle of trying to win a flag. If we were a bottom 4 team right now then go for it, nothing to lose. I think it halts team momentum when it happens. It takes away focus.
RED "BABY" CAVANAUGH: Didn't hear what the bet was.

MONCO: Your life.
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 129 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Jezza wrote:Putting a positive spin on the result:

The Hawks have beaten us in 1977, 1980, 1981, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2010 and 2018. In all those years, we made the Grand Final.

Worth remembering before we completely write ourselves off.
That’s the spirit!
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

Not sure about Fly's presser tonight:
"The psychology of professional sport
...the psychology of ladder position potentially...it is interesting where our players put their energy... Late in the game , Morrison tackles Noble, the crowd roars, and 5 Hawthorn players get over to celebrate the tackle...thats been us for the large part of the last 18 months...that's been our energy levels, and want, and excltement for others...yeah, it's a fascinating game..."
(Suggesting that our mindset and cohesion has suffered a major downturn recently))
"I think the game is being played above the head more than people give it credit for"'....
(is Fly suggesting that our players are in a complacent mindset before the tasks ahead? If so, he needs to address it.)
"I tend to write a script on what the game can do and potentially before the game...the script in my head was they get a fast start, 4 or 5 goals ahead and we'll be chasing our tail the whole game. that was the script in my head, that was the one thing I was worried about, um..careful what you wish for..."

Why was fly entertaining such a script, when we are top of the ladder, and Hawthorn is 16th??
Last edited by Magpietothemax on Sat Aug 05, 2023 9:47 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
Dave The Man
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Dave The Man »

stoliboy wrote:I hope there were no negative comments in the game-day thread.
Why Not?

They deserve it after such a Pathetic Effort this Evening
I am Da Man
shawthing

Post by shawthing »

Jezza wrote:Putting a positive spin on the result:

The Hawks have beaten us in 1977, 1980, 1981, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2010 and 2018. In all those years, we made the Grand Final.

Worth remembering before we completely write ourselves off.
True Jezza. But how many of those GF's did we win? You can add in 1979 (L to Carlton), and 2011 (L to Geelong). When you read that it makes you weep. I mean what other club in history could lose EIGHT out of TEN Grand finals in four decades? (Throw in two draws as well, and if the ball bounced right for Milne in 2010 we'd have lost 9 out of 10!) :oops: That says there's something pathologically wrong with our club mindset. Just a flip of the coin might see us win at least 3-4 out 10.
Dave The Man

Post by Dave The Man »

stui magpie wrote:When you're 2 games and % clear on top of the ladder and play a high intensity game style, it's understandable for players to take the foot off a bit against supposedly crap teams.

2 weeks in a row we've been beaten by effort. That won't happen come finals.
There was no Foot Down at all Today.

We played like we did not care about the Result
I am Da Man
RudeBoy

Post by RudeBoy »

Clearly we are going through a slump. Better now than in September.

However, our whole second half of the season has seen our midfield clearance work look to be in slow free fall. At the start of the season Mitchell's influence was terrific, giving us the edge in clearances. As the season has progressed he has waned and waned and now looks completely shot. Unfortunately, no-one else has stepped up to fill the void. It's a shame that Finn Macrae is injured, because he's probably the player we need now. Maybe Carmichael can come in and have an impact. As for Johnson, I've been one of his biggest fans, but his record in hard physical contests is not good.

Still, we have 3 weeks to sort out this mess and be firing in September. Don't lose faith guys. We are still clear on top of the ladder. Go Pies.
Dave The Man

Post by Dave The Man »

mudlark wrote:It's been a while since I've seen an effort like this. I'm putting it down to mulligan.The illness that has set through the club seems to have left them flat. One thing I will say for sure and certain is that we missed Cox BIG TIME!!! He is the one who has the knack of turning the game in the ruck when we are going bad.The Gold Coast game last year was a perfect example.We were getting flogged out of the middle with Cox starting on the bench. We quickly went t 4 goals down in the first qtr and then Cox came on and we were in front at 1/4 time.Same thing happened in the 3rd qtr of that came and Cox pulled us out of the shit again, from 4 goals down. He most certainly wouldn't have gone as bad as Johnston did today.He seems out of his depth when the pressure is on.His failure to handball to Bobby Hill in the forward pocket said it all for me. Moore had his worst game for years and Pendles looked like a slow old man at times.DeGoey couldn't get a handle on the ball and I'm tipping if MacCrae was available ,Tom Mitchells spot would be in danger next week. Maybe reef can come in.The medias picking apart of Nick Daicos is pathetic and it is spreading through the usual ranks of TV land. We will bounce back next week.hat was THE wake up call we needed. And it all started with Billy missing a sitter for the first goal. And OH!! Am I allowed to say that Miochek is totally without use.He was woeful again today. He's kicked 3 goals in 6 games now. I think a commentator said 3 ..10 in his last 5 games.

Seems there been a Flu at the Club all season long
I am Da Man
Magpies035

Post by Magpies035 »

Two losses in a row
We look tired
We should of rested the older players
Why isn’t Frampton playing. Desperately need him. Bad selection move. That’s why we recruited him

Need to reset
Let’s see what next week brings
The Great Macedonian Marvel