Post Match. Hawks humble Pies . All comments.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

What'sinaname
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 19 times

Post by What'sinaname »

So, Ash, Checkers and McStay in the same forward line does not work.
Fighting against the objectification of woman.
Piesnchess
Has liked: 202 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by Piesnchess »

rad wrote:A lot of learnings. Work beats talent when talent doesn’t work.

We’re still 2 games clear at the top. Need to consolidate top 2.

We’ll be ok. We’re a great side. Every side slips during the season, perhaps this will take the premiership pressure off. Still a few games to now get it all together again and return with energy.

AJ isn’t built for pressure games, Ginni is.
Bring in Frampton at FB, Naicos in the backline.

We’ll come storming home, massive pies army in September.

Last 2 seasons have been amazing, evidence over that time says we’re a great team and we won’t go missing when the pressure hits in the finals.

Believe.

Hope so mate, we have 3 matches to put things right, and if Cats beat Port, we still have top spot safe. We need to get back to basics, back to the tough unrlenting footy, what took us to the top. Its not to late, with three games, but we do need to turn this around fast now, starting next week, pick a really hungry side v the cats, freshen the team up, with at least maybe 4 changes. :idea:
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Jezza
Has liked: 175 times
Been liked: 239 times

Post by Jezza »

Very disappointing. The performance was reminiscent of the Buckley years.

It was the first time I can recall Fly being outcoached. Can't understand why more work and preparation wasn't done to make Sicily accountable. Sicily has been the backbone of any success Hawthorn has seen this year. Secondly, while N Daicos was struggling to shake off the tag being applied to him, I didn't see any moves or assistance from others to help him overcome it.

It's evident that we're in a form slump at a time when one would be hoping we were building strong momentum into the finals. There's still time to turn it around, but what's clear now is the premiership race is wide open and we shouldn't been seen as outright favourites anymore. We're just one of several teams that could win it if the stars align.

Clearances were a weakness of ours last year, and we hoped Mitchell would be the solution to the problem but as his form has dropped off, the issue has resurfaced again. We lost the centre clearance count 18-3 which is an atrocious figure.

Very worried about Checkers. He's almost the personification of our current form slump. Only 2 goals in his last 5 games, and no goals in 4 of those 5 games. Thankfully, Elliott has really stepped up since the bye and heavily added to his goal tally.

Murphy, N Daicos and Mitchell have all been listed as sustaining injuries according to the AFL's official match report. Selection changes would have to be made irrespective of injuries, but our hand will be forced now.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
What'sinaname
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 19 times

Post by What'sinaname »

ANNODAM wrote:Someone wrote Mitchell owning us as player, continues owning us as Coach.

Fkn sad, sad days ahead.

And the Scum are up & about!
That'll happen when you refuse to tag their best player. By 1/4 time, it was obvious Sicily was killing us. Hell he had more possessions in 1 quarter than 13 of our players had the whole game.
Fighting against the objectification of woman.
ANNODAM
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 34 times

Post by ANNODAM »

I said last week after we lost to the Scum, the loss didn’t matter so much (yes we’re all upset losing) but it’s how we respond the following week that counts.

Today we looked disinterested, the rot started when Jamie missed an easy shot on goal.

I turned round & said to the fam, it’s gonna be one of those days, I could just feel it…
Last edited by ANNODAM on Sat Aug 05, 2023 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WE WERE ROBBED, RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME, RIGHT IN FRONT OF MEEE!

N.Y METS, N.Y GIANTS, PENRITH PANTHERS & HOBART HURRICANES FAN.

WE ALL LOOK GOOD AT TRAINING, IT'S THE MATCHES THAT COUNT!
Jezza
Has liked: 175 times
Been liked: 239 times

Post by Jezza »

swoop42 wrote:Well, I was hoping to be wrong.

40 odd years of losing far more than we win against Hawthorn isn't irrelevant history, it's a pattern of performance that once again repeated today.
It's worse. It's closer to 50 years.

We've struggled against them since 1974. At one stage, the H2H count was 71 wins, 15 losses in our favour.

Since then, it's been 28 wins, 55 losses.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
Monco Matt

Post by Monco Matt »

What'sinaname wrote:So, Ash, Checkers and McStay in the same forward line does not work.
It doesn't work if our mids are getting their arses reamed. They were smashed in possession and centre clearances and our i50 count was -15. Our forwards did not get enough ball at speed. Any combination outside of Dunstall, Ablett & Carey would have failed. Our midfield is our biggest problem right now, it simply is not competitive. Why it has dropped away so hard is the million-dollar question.
RED "BABY" CAVANAUGH: Didn't hear what the bet was.

MONCO: Your life.
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 129 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Last edited by Mr Miyagi on Sat Aug 05, 2023 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pieboy
Been liked: 2 times

Post by pieboy »

This is why you don't give anyone long term contracts.

No player should get more than 3 years, otherwise if they are set for life why would they put in anywhere near their best? You would have thought they would have learnt from Grundy
ANNODAM
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 34 times

Post by ANNODAM »

Yeah, we were so damn lucky in 1990 when MEL eliminated them for us.
Once they were out, I knew then we’d win it, they were (& still are) our bogey team, along with the Scum in finals & big occasion matches.
WE WERE ROBBED, RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME, RIGHT IN FRONT OF MEEE!

N.Y METS, N.Y GIANTS, PENRITH PANTHERS & HOBART HURRICANES FAN.

WE ALL LOOK GOOD AT TRAINING, IT'S THE MATCHES THAT COUNT!
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 129 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

pieboy wrote:This is why you don't give anyone long term contracts.

No player should get more than 3 years, otherwise if they are set for life why would they put in anywhere near their best? You would have thought they would have learnt from Grundy
Are you seriously accusing the Daicos boys of downhill skiing now they have six year deals stitched up?!?! JFC, watch the damn game again and watch those two in particular.
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

What'sinaname wrote:So, Ash, Checkers and McStay in the same forward line does not work.
Must be questioned after tonight.
If Ginnivan plays well in VFL, he could well return.
Cox as well.
But the real source of the loss tonight was in the midfield.
I reckon over the next 3 weeks we need to bring in whoever of our young brigade is ready for the midfield: McCrae (when over his injury), Carmicheal. Give Mitchell, Pendles a rest.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
woodys_world69
Been liked: 25 times

Post by woodys_world69 »

Knee injuries for Murph and Daicos, they will wait for scans tomorrow.

Mitchell wasnt a concern for Fly and looks like just a bad corky
Monco Matt

Post by Monco Matt »

All contracts should be done at season's end. I understand wanting to tie players down but all too often we see players form drop away when this happens in-season. Players need to be kept on the edge, keep the carrot dangling. I though after the Grundy debacle we would have learned this lesson.
RED "BABY" CAVANAUGH: Didn't hear what the bet was.

MONCO: Your life.
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

woodys_world69 wrote:Knee injuries for Murph and Daicos, they will wait for scans tomorrow.

Mitchell wasnt a concern for Fly and looks like just a bad corky
Terrible news. Hope all is good.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins