Indigenous Voice to Parliament

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

Jezza
Has liked: 176 times
Been liked: 243 times

Post by Jezza »

think positive wrote:Well that’s a double hell no from me!
Yep, it's getting out of hand.

It's a big NO from me as well.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 45 times

Post by David »

What'sinaname wrote:Wont be long before colonialism is removed from the school curriculum and Dan bans any talk of it.
Isn't that what Ron DeSantis and right-wingers are trying to do in America? I would have thought we need more teaching about colonialism in schools, not less.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

Skids wrote:Because changing names of everything is a great way to spend 10's of millions of dollars :roll: What a joke.
You're going overboard there. Wales and parts of Scotland do this, as does Ireland. It's likely a really inexpensive way to increase indigenous knowledge and awareness in the scheme of things. Surely that's a good thing, no? Tourists will also love it, because it adds to the experience and mystique.

You lot need to get out more and look back on yourselves from afar to regain context. Not everything's a massive issue and affront, for goodness' sake. Goodwill, anyone?
In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
What'sinaname
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by What'sinaname »

pietillidie wrote:
Skids wrote:Because changing names of everything is a great way to spend 10's of millions of dollars :roll: What a joke.
You're going overboard there. Wales and parts of Scotland do this, as does Ireland. It's likely a really inexpensive way to increase indigenous knowledge and awareness in the scheme of things. Surely that's a good thing, no? Tourists will also love it, because it adds to the experience and mystique.

You lot need to get out more and look back on yourselves from afar to regain context. Not everything's a massive issue and affront, for goodness' sake. Goodwill, anyone?
That's only a small part of this deal. The commitment to preferential treatment is disgusting. We spend all this time trying to educate people about inequality, unfairness and nepotism, only for that to be, not only acceptable, but encouraged for indigenous persons.
Fighting against the objectification of woman.
Skids
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 38 times

Post by Skids »

What'sinaname wrote:
pietillidie wrote:

That's only a small part of this deal. The commitment to preferential treatment is disgusting. We spend all this time trying to educate people about inequality, unfairness and nepotism, only for that to be, not only acceptable, but encouraged for indigenous persons.
I wonder how many of the egotistical city dwellers have actually been out into the areas that really require funding and seen the real issues... very few would be my guess.
I can guarantee you the kids going without food while their parents drink copious amounts of alcohol and then fight amongst themselves every single day in Yulga Gina, couldn't give two squats what the name of a street in suburbia is.

Smoke and mirrors, laced with glossy brochures, filling the pockets of fat cats... and the minions lap it up.
Don't count the days, make the days count.
David

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
think positive
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 90 times

Post by think positive »

Ahahahaha trust the government!
Ahahahaha

Nope
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
David

Post by David »

^ Who are you responding to?
think positive

Post by think positive »

You
David

Post by David »

Where did I say anything about "trusting the government"? I'm saying previous government approaches have failed and that Indigenous community decisionmaking needs to be prioritised. So I literally have no idea what you're talking about, or why you find the conversation so hilarious.
pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

I just don't get the stingy mindset. Often, I look at people at think: I could've had it it easier, but I know you've had it even harder.

Even if I'm sceptical of something, sometimes I let it go to enable people to have their process. I'll generally only oppose something vociferously if it's going to clearly be destructive, and/or if it's being driven by destructive, disreputable scumbags, such as the Iraq War or Brexit.

I just can't see, say, indigenous signage or trying to bring more indigenous representation to the table as a bad thing. I don't get the exaggerated stingy reaction which takes anything done for another group as a personal affront. As I say, where's the good will towards others? Do you not get any joy in others making progress or having the odd win?
In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
David

Post by David »

^ Same here. It’s disappointing that that’s where we seem to be at culturally. And while I’m fine for the Yes case to win or lose on its merits, it seems like this suspicion and resentment is the main reason that the referendum is going to fail, which is particularly depressing.
think positive

Post by think positive »

Oh ok, so now it’s selfishness as well as bigotry or racist to vote no!

I like many I know have absolutely no problem with First Nation people having an extra not voted in voice in matters pertaining directly to First Nation people only. But we won’t vote yes to them having an unvoted in opinion on other matters such as super, land tax and building regulations, priority for job seekers, etc etc etc.

I simply don’t trust where the government will go with this.

Pietilidie you have no skin in this you don’t live here so it’s easy for you to take the ‘what a generous guy am I ‘ stance and David you have said many times you have no savings, property or things of value, and that you have no interest in attaining any, so you have no skin in that part of it either.

I’m not selfish, I don’t go out of my way to cheat on our taxes,and we pay heaps, more than enough. We are taxed to death in this state it’s ridiculous, stamp duty is criminal. I don’t treat First Nation people any different than I treat anyone else. I’m just as likely to tiptoe around a sketchy looking white person as I am any other sketchy looking person of any race.

Why do street names need changing? What is that going to provide for anyone?

I’d rather see the money wasted on this bloody referendum spent on a committee that is dedicated to actually solving the real issues, poverty, lack of education or restricted access to education, addiction, family violence, improved relations with police and figures of authority.

And it needs to be an open book.

Sorry has been done to death, lord knows I’ve had my fair share of bullshit sorries come my way, I want action not words. If all the sorries are still not enough provide councilling to a point of closure. You can’t change the past, just find a way to deal with it. Much as I love America I’m so over the ‘you’re coming at me’ reaction or your “insert derogatory name” to anyone having a different opinion.

It’s a hard fast no from me.
David

Post by David »

think positive

Post by think positive »

As selfish as expecting quality cheap rentals and free education courtesy of us plebs that pay a lot of tax, when you have the ability to earn it yourself but CHOOSE not to? Your idealism that wealth should be shared is only held by those who have not worked long and hard for it.

There are rumblings all over this vote about it coming down to just that, wether a new tax or similar. That’s a no from me, it’s not greed, greed is wanting something you didn’t work for, (as apposed to need) it’s protecting exactly what we have worked for.