Indigenous Voice to Parliament

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 45 times

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

^ Excellent research David but what would you inner city latte types know (although living in the Hamptons is not quite inner city)
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
think positive
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 90 times

Post by think positive »

You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
What'sinaname
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by What'sinaname »

nomadjack wrote:Wow...a scare campaign based on bullshit...didn't see that coming... :shock:

"On July 1st the WA - Aboriginal Cultural Heritage Act will be begin. Any home on land over 1100sqm will need approval to do anything on their land.

Between the fees & levies from State governments & permits and approvals from local councils, it has become nearly impossible to do what you want on your own land. Now this."

Don't see even a hint of irony in these two comments from your post Skids? :idea:
The "scare" campaign seems pretty real. And I'm shocked that it's all about money.
According to Seven News, Whadjuk Aboriginal Corporation chief executive David Collard told land care groups they could not proceed with the weekend’s events until a demand for $2.5 million from a $10 million river restoration fund was resolved.
https://www.news.com.au/technology/envi ... 72ff9b206c
Fighting against the objectification of woman.
Skids
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 38 times

Post by Skids »

You're shocked.... I'm not, not one bit.

It's always about money. My nephews, and their mob, recently went to Geraldton for some 'meeting'. They all recieved $500 each plus a fuel and accommodation allowance.... they had a great, funded weekend away.

My 18 yo nephew wouldn't know his arsehole from his elbow. He be lovin' the cash.
Don't count the days, make the days count.
stui magpie
Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 95 times

Post by stui magpie »

Maybe that's one reason we need The Voice, so dumb bureaucratic flogs don't just round up random blackfellas and pay them to be "consulted" so they can tick a box.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
What'sinaname
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by What'sinaname »

^ or maybe The Voice is just a way of embedding bureaucratic floggness into the Constitution so it lasts forever.
Fighting against the objectification of woman.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

^

Like parliament?
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Bucks5
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Bucks5 »

You know that councils and business are paying big bucks for welcome to country speakers, smoking ceremonies, indigenous art etc, right?

It is a scam. My wife runs a creche and contacted the land council to see if they could organise for a First Nations woman to show the children how they sew possum skins. The demand was that 6 women come at $500 each.
How would Siri know when to answer "Hey Siri" unless it is listening in to everything you say?
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

It's only a scam if she said yes. I would've said, Nah, 1 woman for $350.

yeah more businesses are getting into the Welcome to Country and other stuff, and a small minority are making good coin filling those gaps, which doesn't help the other 99.9% of First Nations Peoples.
think positive
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 90 times

Post by think positive »

lucky for the poor possums!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 45 times

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

^

It's murky. P4S could probably explain it clearly but the short answer (in my understanding) is No, First Nations People's weren't considered part of "The People" referred to in the original constitution. The weren't counted in census and there were sections in the original constitution that expressly excluded them, and left their management to the states.

Yes, they were considered British Citizens but only by a sort of default, otherwise they would have been stateless.

Anyway, the official Yes and No cases are here at this AEC Link.

https://www.aec.gov.au/referendums/pamphlet.htm
pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

^My understanding is as Stui explains. You can't be 'the people' if you don't have representation, something which in turn undermines the very pretext of a constitution. I quoted the introduction above because it clearly assumes representation, and mentions all founding parties bar one.

In a similar manner, you can't have legal settlement as claimed without a treaty, which implies that a proper fix would also include overt constutional recognition, as awarded to every other party concerned.

The British Empire signed goodness knows how many treaties because that's how settlement was best ratified and law founded by their own standards.

Of course, the law is still an ass, but the absence of proper law has clearly made all that follows harder to rectify, hence this very discussion.
In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm