Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player discussion

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

23 YIPPEE!!!

Post by 23 YIPPEE!!! »

Ok cool i see your point there lazzadesilva.

I guess we did get the cream circa 2020 and 2021 when we kind of bottomed out.

I feel we have recruited very well and every thing is a smart move.
Pies2016
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 112 times

Post by Pies2016 »

Speaking of bargain basement trading, we did pretty well when we traded in Carlton’s 2023 Second round pick. The Blues are on track to finish bottom three the way they are going, so not only do we saviour the demise of their 2023 season but we also benefit from a very early second round pick as part of our draft or trade currency.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 67 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

90 nice wrote:Ok cool i see your point there lazzadesilva.

I guess we did get the cream circa 2020 and 2021 when we kind of bottomed out.

I feel we have recruited very well and every thing is a smart move.
Yes 90, I think we have probably nailed it but can’t be totally satisfied until we use those talent choices for a flag. We wait nervously but confidently hope.
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
BazBoy
Been liked: 38 times

Post by BazBoy »

I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
Boot
Been liked: 3 times

Post by Boot »

Collingwood Domination. Envy of the Nation!
eddiesmith
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 24 times

Post by eddiesmith »

Would be a handy pickup and as a contender you should be able to attract players for less than a bottom side as they chase success, something some former players didn't believe in.

But if we are still going to be active then we must be paying out other peoples contracts this year in one go.
stui magpie
Has liked: 92 times
Been liked: 97 times

Post by stui magpie »

Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Pies2016

Post by Pies2016 »

Keep an eye out for Myles Bergman’s name linked to Collingwood as the season rolls on. Keen to get home, out of contract and the Pies have asked questions. Plays a similar role and style to Jeremy Howe but not as high flying ( not many are ) He’s a fine player and still not reached his full potential. Currently in Ports best 22.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
inxs88
Been liked: 4 times

Post by inxs88 »

Pies2016 wrote:Keep an eye out for Myles Bergman’s name linked to Collingwood as the season rolls on. Keen to get home, out of contract and the Pies have asked questions. Plays a similar role and style to Jeremy Howe but not as high flying ( not many are ) He’s a fine player and still not reached his full potential. Currently in Ports best 22.
Yep, more of a half back/winger type. Port would want and deserve our first round pick.
I love the Pies, hate Carlscum
npalm
Been liked: 9 times

Post by npalm »

Port would, quite reasonably, expect our first round pick at a minimum. But that's not how it always works unfortunately.
Geelong screwed us over for Oliver Henry (because they could) and I would expect that we would do likewise to Port (if we can).
Side by side.
Pies2016

Post by Pies2016 »

^^^
The parent club certainly isn’t as good a position to call the shots when the player is out of contract. If the deal ever happened, I imagine we would get it done without having given up our first rounder as a straight swap for a flanker. There’s plenty of ways to skin a cat by way of presenting a number of lesser picks OR possibly giving up our first and getting something back ( maybe their second )
What I do notice is, more recently it’s the destination club that seems get the better end of these deals ( on the surface at least ) when those players are out of contract and prepared to make a move. Most clubs go through the salary cap squeeze as part of their evolution and now clubs can see the “ silver lining “ that comes with losing a soldier if it means retaining the key pillars already on their list.
That silver lining is why we will see more bargain basement / moneyball trades occurring going forward. Having space in your salary cap for the final piece of your premiership window puzzle is now of more importance than retaining that role player on your list
Boot
Been liked: 3 times

Post by Boot »

Pies2016 wrote:Keep an eye out for Myles Bergman’s name linked to Collingwood as the season rolls on. Keen to get home, out of contract and the Pies have asked questions. Plays a similar role and style to Jeremy Howe but not as high flying ( not many are ) He’s a fine player and still not reached his full potential. Currently in Ports best 22.
From what I've heard Myles Bergman is more likely to be at St.Kilda than Collingwood if he even leaves Port Adelaide.
Collingwood Domination. Envy of the Nation!
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 67 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

Pies2016 wrote: Yep, more of a half back/winger type. Port would want and deserve our first round pick.
I would prefer to keep our first round pick unless we can snaffle another one.
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
eddiesmith
Been liked: 24 times

Post by eddiesmith »

There is always Carlton's 2nd round pick which will be only a few places lower.
Pies2016

Post by Pies2016 »

lazzadesilva wrote:
Pies2016 wrote: Yep, more of a half back/winger type. Port would want and deserve our first round pick.
I would prefer to keep our first round pick unless we can snaffle another one.
No biggie but that’s an INXS88 quote, not me. I’d prefer to keep our first rounder too but there’s also no such thing as a free lunch either.
We’re all spitballing on this thread but the point that should be highlighted is that because most clubs are under cap pressure, you may get better bang for your buck with specific trades ( particularly when out of contract ) because the club losing a player can now see the gains in cap relief. It’s a much more multi layered trading environment these days than what it was a few years ago.