Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player discussion

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

K
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 23 times

Post by K »

inxs88
Been liked: 4 times

Bargain basement recruiting possibilities

Post by inxs88 »

From a shopping point of view, a good deal is a license for bragging rights and looking at our current list, we are getting genuine value for money (so to speak) for many players on our list, namely:

* P Lipinski: pick 43
* J Noble: Mid-Season Draft
* D Cameron: pick slide of only 6 spots
* B Frampton: pick 50
* J Crisp: Ginzu steak knives
* B McCreery: Pick 44
* J Ginnivan: Rookie Draft
* O Markov: March Supplementary Draft
* A Begg: Mid Season Draft
* A Johnson: Mid Season Draft
* J Carmichael: Mid Season Draft

Roughly half of our current team coming from shrewd buying. Got me thinking that outside our allotment of draft picks this year that currently lie at: Picks 18, 23, 70's and 90's, we may need other levers and innovation to add to our talent base. Using our first two picks would likely secure good talent but how about these players at other clubs who may embrace our culture and provide good value:

* Paddy Dow: former number 3 draft pick who can get 30+ albeit can spray the pill but shall be delisted at season's end.

* Brandan Parfitt: out of favour premiership player that always seems to play well when given on-ball time. Thought he may have been a steak knives deal breaker when the O Henry trade looked in jeopardy.

* Chad Wingard: don't laugh. He is playing reserves, is a two time All Australian who picked the wrong club when traded from Port Adelaide. Sam Mitchell cannot wait to give him away for a twistie packet.

* Rhylee West: had an excellent year last year but only two games from Bevo this year and is a victim of an over-stacked mid-field. Great replacement for life post Taylor Adams.

* Tarryn Thomas: controversial one but 11/10 talent combined with off-field indiscretions (allegedly). Would be a fire sale from Roos. We do owe them one for their meek offer for J Stephenson.

* Liam Henry: out of favour from Longmuir at Freo. Electric paced crumber that could be a great foil for Bobby Hill.

We have never been a better "destination club" and hopefully we can build on last year's excellent recruits.
I love the Pies, hate Carlscum
stui magpie
Has liked: 92 times
Been liked: 97 times

Post by stui magpie »

I'd like to see us throw a rookie lifeline to a retired ruckman, ala The People's Beard a few years back.

Someone who is happy to play VFL as a playing ruck coach for Begg and Steene (and Krueger) and be available for call up in case of injury to Cox/Cameron again.

Not interested in Dow, he may have been a No. 3 pick but if he can't get a game in Carlton's midfield he's not getting close to a game in ours.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
tbaker

Post by tbaker »

Rhylee West - Bulldogs version of Callum Brown; too good for VFL, not quite good enough for AFL
Chad Wingard - too old
I find your lack of faith disturbing
Pies2016
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 112 times

Post by Pies2016 »

Nobody does a better trade / recruitment speculation thread than INXS88
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
inxs88

Post by inxs88 »

tbaker wrote:Rhylee West - Bulldogs version of Callum Brown; too good for VFL, not quite good enough for AFL
Chad Wingard - too old

Rhylee was very good in 2022 when given the chance over 8-10 matches but playing under Bevo, the Nutty Professor would be annoying. Wingard is only 29 and a downhill skier but if it was a pick 60 draft pick, you'd have to entertain it.
inxs88

Post by inxs88 »

[quote="Pies2016"]Nobody does a better trade / recruitment speculation thread than INXS88
piedys
Has liked: 332 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by piedys »

inxs88 wrote:Lobbied for Ben Keays 3 years ago. Wish the club did it.
I didn't see that potential when he was a Bear; shame - he would have got us over the line last year.

Anyhoo, I'd be happy to steal Riccardi, Daniels or Perryman from GWS.
Obviously The Baron HH will be the talking point by October.

McInerney from Swans, Crouch from Crows.

Is Balta gettable lol?
M I L L A N E 4 2 forever
Pies2016
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 112 times

Post by Pies2016 »

Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
swoop42
Been liked: 3 times

Post by swoop42 »

De Goey, Lipinski, Josh, Nick and hopefully Allan.

Those 5 players will or project as being part of our midfield group come round 1 2026.

That leaves us needing to replace all or some of Pendlebury, Sidebottom, Mitchell, Adams and Crisp between now and then.

That's a lot of talent to be found because we're talking about some all time Collingwood greats and a former Brownlow medalist.

I hope our succession planning is already underway because genuine quality will be required in their stead.
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
inxs88

Post by inxs88 »

A great culture, winning environment and standards is a bit like that saying "rising tides lift all ships".
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

According to Piesource on Twitter, Collingwood is hot in the hunt for Darcy Parish, and we are pursuing negotiations with the management of Ben McKay (North).
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
Ronnie McKeowns boots

Post by Ronnie McKeowns boots »

stui magpie wrote:I'd like to see us throw a rookie lifeline to a retired ruckman, ala The People's Beard a few years back.

Someone who is happy to play VFL as a playing ruck coach for Begg and Steene (and Krueger) and be available for call up in case of injury to Cox/Cameron again.

Not interested in Dow, he may have been a No. 3 pick but if he can't get a game in Carlton's midfield he's not getting close to a game in ours.
Well we could get the Mummy if we can find a reliable bloke who has bags, would be great fun to roll him out against Grundy, just for shock value if nothing else.

Dow, I think, is worth a look, at the right price
"You hate a mean man, a grasping man, a man who wants everything and gives nothing. That’s Collingwood. They are a law unto themselves"

Jack 'Captain Blood' Dyer
23 YIPPEE!!!

Post by 23 YIPPEE!!! »

All very good on the bargin basement stuff but i want the cream of the crop.
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 67 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

90 nice wrote:All very good on the bargin basement stuff but i want the cream of the crop.
These require high draft picks and to get them, we need to be on the bottom of the ladder. Getting the cream of the crop from existing players would be canceled by the need trade the cream of the crop players we have
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️