#11 Daniel McStay

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

stui magpie
Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 95 times

Post by stui magpie »

When this guy is fit to play, who does he replace in our forward line?
I like how we're structured and playing at the moment, we have a great spread off goal kickers and we're unpredictable to the opposition defenders.
Cox and Cameron have to play and I love what Ash is bringing to the team, while Checkers is a lock. Does he play VFL to get touch back and wait for an injury or does he come straight back in somehow?
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Johnno75
Been liked: 20 times

Post by Johnno75 »

Yeah probably don’t have to worry about it before the bye but I agree. The Cameron/Cox scenario is a must with one resting forward. Checkers has kicked 11 goals since Cox returned. Both he and Ash are getting off the chain with the resting ruckman going forward. You can’t drop either so he doesn’t get in unless it’s an injury or form issue.

Based on yesterday we need Frampton back probably for Oleg to release Murphy. Also got to fit in Lipinski probably in 2 weeks time.
Last edited by Johnno75 on Mon May 22, 2023 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Human behavioural studies suggest people who use a lot of swear words tend to be more honest & trustworthy.
Take_a_Screamer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 17 times

Post by Take_a_Screamer »

I recently heard Fly on an interview referring to McStay. I'm sure he forgot his name.
The interviewer then said "McStay" and Fly replied "yeah that's him"
Ash Johnson...you beauty
Johnson Screamer @ https://www.afl.com.au/video/931485/joh ... -epic-mark? ❤️️
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 101 times

Post by Pies2016 »

It’s a good conversation. Structurally, I still see a spot for McStay as the hit up target as we come out of the backline. Checkers and Johnson do their best work deep, as does Cox. McStay is the tall high forward workhorse and he’s really the only one we’ve got ( especially if you want Checkers closer to goal ) Having said that, you still have to be in some sort of form to hold down that position. I’m sure the club want him in the side but the balls in McStay’s court. He will need to find some form when he comes back or miss out because suddenly there are now options that don’t include him.
I prefer Cameron and Cox sharing ruck duties only, rather than one resting forward ( although it’s a good option IF needed ) That way, when one of them comes in off the bench, they can give a 100 % around the ground effort for the time they are on the park. This is obviously also more easily achievable if at least two of McStay, Checkers and Johnson are your tall forwards on the day.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
stui magpie
Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 95 times

Post by stui magpie »

^The other advantage of the 2 rucks is that one can drop back and help out the defence. Yesterday we had times when Cameron was in the ruck and Cox was stationed in the hole at CHB.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
MatthewBoydFanClub
Been liked: 1 time

Post by MatthewBoydFanClub »

stui magpie wrote:When this guy is fit to play, who does he replace in our forward line?

I like how we're structured and playing at the moment, we have a great spread off goal kickers and we're unpredictable to the opposition defenders.

Cox and Cameron have to play and I love what Ash is bringing to the team, while Checkers is a lock. Does he play VFL to get touch back and wait for an injury or does he come straight back in somehow?
He's done all the running while being out, so I assume he comes straight back in. Who does he replace in our best team? I think Ash Johnson has done enough to stay in the 22. I assume it's now between Ginnivan and Bobby Hill. One will miss out and go emergency.
RudeBoy
Been liked: 85 times

Post by RudeBoy »

Imho our side would be too top heavy if we played Cox, Cameron, Frampton, McStay, Moore and Johnson together.

To my mind, Cox and Cameron are definite starters as our rucks. Then Frampton is needed as a tall defender, to partner with Moore. 'Magic' Johnson has proven himself the silk we've needed as a leading and marking forward. So to my mind, if all the others play, there is no spot for McStay. I'd rather keep him in reserve as a back up in case of injury to any of the others.
Take_a_Screamer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 17 times

Post by Take_a_Screamer »

^^^
What will this look like come finals time?
McStay will be important
Ash Johnson...you beauty
Johnson Screamer @ https://www.afl.com.au/video/931485/joh ... -epic-mark? ❤️️
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

Horses for courses.
We are still a bit undermanned down back. Too many talls will slow us down. McStay is preferred by McCrae but surely not at the expense of Cox or Johnson at this stage.
Markov while not tall adds pace and a strong body let alone heart in mouth moments when he’s under pressure in the backline
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 101 times

Post by Pies2016 »

F W I W, Miochek is only 192cm, so while he plays tall and is our number one marking target in F50, I’m not sure he comes with the usual “ lack of pressure, no good at ground level “ baggage that accompanies most 200cm forwards. He’s pretty much a hybrid forward and you could easily argue that surrounding him with two other forwards who are taller than him, doesn’t automatically make us too top heavy. The club will need to work through all that and Fly is all about the territory game, which generally lends itself to two genuine talls only in the forward line.
History also suggests when a club invests heavily in a trade or free agent, they will be given every opportunity to show their worth. I reckon McStay will get his chance again as soon as he’s fit but his test will be to show his worth as it gets closer to the pointy end of the season. There’s now a few waiting in the wings.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 174 times
Been liked: 176 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

Even if McStay doesn't seem like an immediate fit at the moment, let's not forget Mihocek is contracted until 2025, when he'll be 32 / 33.
McStay, who will then have turned 30 will undoubtedly be needed to make that transition once Brody tapers off due to age or form.

All going well, we'll trade in, draft or develop another key forward, maybe Steene or Begg come on to fill a spot.

It takes time to integrate a key forward, even Cameron took a year to get going following crossover, and while Lynch had a great year and a flag in his 1st at the Tigers, 20 & 21 I don't think were great years by his standards.
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
23 YIPPEE!!!

Post by 23 YIPPEE!!! »

McStay eyeing off King birthday as likely return to afl footy.
Meredith1965

McStay

Post by Meredith1965 »

It has taken time, bit this bloke is starting to show his worth, now that he seems fully recovered from the tendon damage. Several important grabs in the forward lin last nighte, and very strong hands. If he continues the improvement curve, it’s serious upside for us in finals.
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

Totally agree. He is going to surprise many here with his strong marking, exactly what we need at CHF. His physical presence will be the key in finals.
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
Piethagoras' Theorem
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Piethagoras' Theorem »

Best contested mark we've had since Cloke. Yep, he's going to be huge for us in September
Formally frankiboy and FrankieGoesToCollingwood.