Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player discussion

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

mattdally
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Post by mattdally »

Jade Gresham?
23 YIPPEE!!!

Post by 23 YIPPEE!!! »

Mark Blicavs or say Jason Castagna come in handy like these 2 as Pies
neil
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 24 times

Post by neil »

Planning to wait till the season unfolds and can see the weaknesses of the team. Also some kid will make a place their own so why target that position?
Carlscum 120 years being cheating scum
Pebbles Rocks

Post by Pebbles Rocks »

Presti35 wrote:I wonder if Howe is thinking about this supposed Tassie team?

He'll be 33 in June. I doubt they're coming in in 2024, but if they were, I reckon he'd put his hand up to captain them.
The Tassie Team is a long way off
"You must be a parking ticket, cuz you got fine written all over you" Glen Quagmire
Alex

Post by Alex »

Parish and McKay are the two for me. A tall lockdown defender is our #1 priority now and if one of Kelly/Dean/Frampton dont take this opportunity in the next 12 months then we should go hard for him. Imagine the talk when the two brothers line up against each other when we vs Carlton. Parish would be a good get as well, although very expensive.

Our midfield is old, and we may need to build it up quickly if we want to continue contending.
Pendlebury is 35, Crisp, Adams, and Titch are 29, and JDG is 27.

We have some future pieces, obviously headlined by Nick, but we may need another elite inside midfielder as I dont know how confident I am in Macrae, Allan, McInnes, etc all becoming A grade players.
"That was out-of-bounds"
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 177 times
Been liked: 176 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

Ben McKay 201cm, 99kg KPD ~ if the Frampton experiment doesn't bear fruit, I'd expect this discussion to take place early on in the season.
Mason Redman 187cm, 86kg rebounding / intercept defender. Tough and composed, I've always been a fan of his.

I suspect with Macrae & McInness in the wings, and the likes of Draper & Harrison showing promise, might negate the need for Darcy Parish, a 180cm, 80kg Midfielder, who would offer experience and additonal outside class (similar to Lipinski), along with the tank to provide invaluable link-up play from end to end.
The thing that appeals though, is his 132 games experience, something neither of the former offer, and perhaps a noticeable void on our list.
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 177 times
Been liked: 176 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

Speculating at this point on trades / draft picks is a bit like seeing Easter eggs at the Supermarket in January.
But the fact remains we still need a high quality bookend in defence, particularly if Frampton doesn't come on this year. Players like McKay are hard to dislodge on any list.
If we were to create greater certainty, then we make a play for Ben McKay (originally draft pick 30). Then maybe Frampton evolves into a handy reserve ruck / backman and creates competition for the spot.

Trey Ruscoe is out of contract at the end of 2023.
Might he look for a retun to Freo? With only 17 games, he won't have any real currency, but maybe if WCE and Freo look for a ready made mid-sized defender with a bit of dash, it might create sufficent competitive tender to push him into a 3rd round swap.

If we go into the draft with our first round pick intact, then look to play with our 2nd, we might need to bump that up the order a little to get some currency to bid for McKay.

https://www.draftguru.com.au/years/2023 ... raft-order

Malcom Blight reckons over the past 10-20 years, the profile of a Premiership team requires a list of 18 players selected inside the top 30 of the draft. He viewed it not so much about picks 1,2,3 or 4, you also get plenty of good ones outside the top 20.

We have 19 players drafted inside the top 30 :
5 from the top 10 ;
5 from 10-20 ;
9 from 20-30.
Last edited by LaurieHolden on Thu Apr 13, 2023 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
piffdog
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by piffdog »

Podpicken wrote:Harry H
He's versatile - would you use him as a key post down back or a potential replacement for Checkers? He's probably my second pick of that list after McKay. I'm a no for Gresham or Parish (but maybe they would be ideal?).
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
Jezza
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 245 times

Post by Jezza »

Ben King.

This was reported a fortnight ago.

https://www.zerohanger.com/four-victori ... ng-134910/
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
inxs88
Been liked: 4 times

GET HARRY HIMMELBERG ALERT

Post by inxs88 »

GET HIM WRIGHTY
I love the Pies, hate Carlscum
Clifton Hill-Billy
Been liked: 10 times

Post by Clifton Hill-Billy »

I'd rather take King off the 'aints hands, would be nice to shaft them after their thuggery hitting one of our best off the ball with 2 minutes to go!
"Hey Ma get off the dang roof!"
piedys
Has liked: 332 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by piedys »

Yes, we must abduct the Baron next free trade period; pay him what he wants.
M I L L A N E 4 2 forever
Take_a_Screamer
Been liked: 20 times

Current AFL players who may be unhappy at their club

Post by Take_a_Screamer »

The player at each AFL club who needs a change of scenery for greater opportunities
https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/05/10/ ... r-greater/

Every year we see players move clubs in search for greater opportunities elsewhere. Last off-season we saw the likes of Will Setterfield, Billy Frampton and Jayden Hunt move clubs to earn AFL opportunities, and they’ve been rewarded since entering new environments this year.

Looking at every club’s 2023 list, SEN panel picked out the player from your side who may be better off looking elsewhere to play more at the top level.

Adelaide - Matt Crouch
Brisbane - Deven Robertson
Carlton - Paddy Dow
Collingwood - Fin Macrae
Essendon - Kaine Baldwin
Fremantle - Liam Henry
Geelong - Sam Menegola
Gold Coast - Jeremy Sharp
GWS - Jake Riccardi
Hawthorn - Denver Grainger-Barras
Melbourne - Adam Tomlinson
North Melb - Hugh Greenwood
Port Adelaide - Mitch Georgiades
Richmond - Jack Ross
St.Kilda - Tom Highmore
Sydney - Lewis Melican
West Coast - Callum Jamieson
W. Bulldogs - Toby McLean

Fin Macrae

Collingwood youngster Fin Macrae couldn’t do much more to earn a senior opportunity. Through five VFL games in 2023, Macrae has averaged 28.4 disposals, 7.6 tackles and has kicked four goals. The former first-round pick has 11 AFL games to his name, and while he’s contracted until the end of 2024, he’d hope to make his way into the AFL side soon.

While the Magpies will no doubt want to keep hold of Macrae, particularly as the likes of Scott Pendlebury and Steele Sidebottom near the end, no one would begrudge him if he went in search of more opportunities if he remains in the reserves. In saying that, it would be surprising if he pushed for a move with a year remaining on his deal.
Ash Johnson...you beauty
Johnson Screamer @ https://www.afl.com.au/video/931485/joh ... -epic-mark? ❤️️
Take_a_Screamer
Been liked: 20 times

Post by Take_a_Screamer »

C'mon Fly, give Fin Macrae a go!
Ash Johnson...you beauty
Johnson Screamer @ https://www.afl.com.au/video/931485/joh ... -epic-mark? ❤️️
WhyPhilWhy?
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 31 times