Biden presidency and 2024 election campaign

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

What'sinaname
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by What'sinaname »

doriswilgus wrote:Wow,there’s so much wrong with this post,where do you begin.So easy to dismiss Trump’s life time of criminality with a few glib one liners,isn’t it?
It seems to be nothing more than a political witch hunt by the left who are terrified Trump will sweep to victory in 2024 and they are doing everything possible to get a criminal conviction to stop that happening.
The former president could face two charges for his actions, Ms Christian said.

The first, she said, could be a straight-forward misdemeanour charge for falsifying business records, as prosecutors allege he listed reimbursements he made to Cohen as legal fees.

The district attorney's office may also seek to charge Mr Trump with a low-level felony, but that presents a much more complicated legal case, she said.
The felony charge would be brought against Mr Trump for falsifying business records with the intent to commit or conceal a second crime.

Prosecutors could argue Mr Trump's efforts to hide his payments to Ms Daniels were election campaign related, as he allegedly did so to keep voters from knowing he had engaged in an "illicit relationship" with Ms Daniels, Ms Christian said - something she called "a novel theory".

"That doesn't mean they can't prove it and get a conviction, but it's going to be tough."

If convicted, Ms Christian said Mr Trump could face probation or a fine.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-64913814
doriswilgus
Been liked: 23 times

Post by doriswilgus »

So you pick out one expert who suggests that Trump might get probation. or a fine instead of a jail term.Not very convincing.You do realise that’s he’s facing other more serious charges as well,like interfering in the conduct of an election,which he was caught on tape doing,and the little matter of inciting an insurrection.Deflect away if you like.It’s not going to save him from facing justice.
eddiesmith
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by eddiesmith »

Or the constant attention on a former president is all the left has to distract from the fact Biden and Harris are completely useless?
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 46 times

Post by David »

I think that'd be a fair critique if he were totally old news (and yes, a lot of people have Trump on the brain excessively). But the next election is only 18 months away, and he's not only announced his candidacy for the Republican nomination but the frontrunner to get it. And if I were an American (or, for that matter, living on planet Earth), I'd be far more worried about that prospect than Biden and Harris, no matter how hopeless those two may be.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
stui magpie
Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 95 times

Post by stui magpie »

The best thing Biden has going for him is that (he seems) a thoroughly decent human being. The best thing any Democrat could do to try to wipe out some of angst that seems to bitterly divide the country, is to try to improve the lot of the working poor, many of whom vote Republican. Trump got elected by selling a dream to the same people that Hillary disparaged as "Deplorables". Biden (whatever his faults) has more class than that, but those people need to see action, not just the absence of insults.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
What'sinaname

Post by What'sinaname »

doriswilgus wrote:So you pick out one expert who suggests that Trump might get probation. or a fine instead of a jail term.Not very convincing.You do realise that’s he’s facing other more serious charges as well,like interfering in the conduct of an election,which he was caught on tape doing,and the little matter of inciting an insurrection.Deflect away if you like.It’s not going to save him from facing justice.
Rather than let process play out, you just want to assume (or hope) he is guilty. You've already called him a criminal, when last I checked, he has never had a criminal conviction.
What'sinaname

Post by What'sinaname »

David wrote:I think that'd be a fair critique if he were totally old news (and yes, a lot of people have Trump on the brain excessively). But the next election is only 18 months away, and he's not only announced his candidacy for the Republican nomination but the frontrunner to get it. And if I were an American (or, for that matter, living on planet Earth), I'd be far more worried about that prospect than Biden and Harris, no matter how hopeless those two may be.
Why, the world has turned to shit under the Biden admin. War has broken out in the Ukraine, China is rattling its sabre and global inflation is out of control. Another 4 years of this, and we'll have no energy, Taiwan will be in the hands of China, and everything from JK Rowlings will be banned.
doriswilgus

Post by doriswilgus »

eddiesmith wrote:Or the constant attention on a former president is all the left has to distract from the fact Biden and Harris are completely useless?
Rubbish..The attention to the former President is due the fact that he has committed multiple crimes and is now facing legal prosecution for his crimes.Obviously you don’t care about the rule of law,but fortunately most people do.
Last edited by doriswilgus on Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
doriswilgus

Post by doriswilgus »

David wrote:I think that'd be a fair critique if he were totally old news (and yes, a lot of people have Trump on the brain excessively). But the next election is only 18 months away, and he's not only announced his candidacy for the Republican nomination but the frontrunner to get it. And if I were an American (or, for that matter, living on planet Earth), I'd be far more worried about that prospect than Biden and Harris, no matter how hopeless those two may be.
I’m astounded at some of the comments from the usual suspects here,justifying,dismissing criminal behaviour because this guy is on their side of politics.If Trump were a Democrat these people would be calling for him to be hanged,yet when it happens on their side of politics,it’s hey move along,look over there,nothing to see here.And just for the record if someone on the left had done what Trump has done I wouldn’t be defending him as these people have pathetically done with Trump out of tribal loyalty..I would want them to be held accountable,just like any other person who has broken the law.
doriswilgus

Post by doriswilgus »

I’m astounded at some of the comments from the usual suspects here,justifying,dismissing criminal behaviour because this guy is on their side of politics.If Trump were a Democrat these people would be calling for him to be hanged,yet when it happens on their side of politics,it’s hey move along,look over there,nothing to see here.And just for the record if someone on the left had done what Trump has done I wouldn’t be defending him as these people have pathetically done with Trump out of tribal loyalty..I would want them to be held accountable,just like any other person who has broken the law.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

^

What Criminal behaviour has he been convicted of? Just curious, it's easy to label someone a criminal, but if they have no convictions.........
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
doriswilgus

Post by doriswilgus »

stui magpie wrote:^

What Criminal behaviour has he been convicted of? Just curious, it's easy to label someone a criminal, but if they have no convictions.........
Not yet.just wait.It’s coming.
eddiesmith
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by eddiesmith »

doriswilgus wrote:
eddiesmith wrote:Or the constant attention on a former president is all the left has to distract from the fact Biden and Harris are completely useless?
Rubbish..The attention to the former President is due the fact that he has committed multiple crimes and is now facing legal prosecution for his crimes.Obviously you don’t care about the rule of law,but fortunately most people do.
I definitely don’t care that much about a former president of the US, nor did I care much about him when he was president.

But it is strange to see so many people on the other side of the world still getting triggered by him.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

doriswilgus wrote:
stui magpie wrote:^

Not yet.just wait.It’s coming.
maybe, maybe not, I won't be holding my breath either way. I saw a news article today that said these current charges, if they fail to get a conviction, pretty much put Trump back in the White House. That would be bad Karma for everyone except him.
What'sinaname

Post by What'sinaname »

^ Look at the latest Gallup Polls and the Republicans are well in front. The Republicans now have a 20 percentage point lead in the question of national security and a 10 percentage point lead in economic management. The Democrats are also now considered too liberal - the first time since 1994 that more than 50% of respondents have said the party is too liberal.

The economy, national security and the perceptions around the shift away from traditional American values are the reasons the Republicans are favoured to win.
Fighting against the objectification of woman.