Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player discussion

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

MatthewBoydFanClub
Been liked: 1 time

Post by MatthewBoydFanClub »

mattdally wrote:Lachie Whitfield would be handy
If he was available after Grundy deal then I would prioritise him over Mitchell, Frampton and Fiorini.
I’d much prefer Whitfield and Haynes to Hopper. I think GWS are crazy putting those two names up for trade. Still can’t work out the Taranto trade. GWS needs players more than high draft picks. Kingsley will have his work cut out for him.
Boogie Knights

Post by Boogie Knights »

^^^^ It's financial. GWS had to shed salary. They would have liked to keep Taranto, but had to shed salary to do so. That was there preference. Reality is though, the salary to shed mightn't have had many suitors.

Not many out there would be willing (or able) to take on the remaining 6 or 7 years of Whitfield at $1M+ per... Haynes in a similar position.
Haff
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 41 times

Post by Haff »

^ Whitfield wont be there for their next flag tilt. Offload now, rebuild. Makes sense really.
Doubt we can afford but agree with the sentiment, and it boils down to Whitfield>Grundy
The match day thread is for unfiltered BS knee jerk reactions. The time for level headed comment comes after.
rosspies

Post by rosspies »

Does anyone know why we did not show any interest in Jack Gunston?
MAY-Z

Post by MAY-Z »

Boogie Knights wrote:^^^^ It's financial. GWS had to shed salary. They would have liked to keep Taranto, but had to shed salary to do so. That was there preference. Reality is though, the salary to shed mightn't have had many suitors.

Not many out there would be willing (or able) to take on the remaining 6 or 7 years of Whitfield at $1M+ per... Haynes in a similar position.
thats right

they have

Kelly
Coniglio
Green
Whitfield
Haynes

All over $800k + per season on long term deals

+ Tananto and Hopper wanting similar, so that wouldve been 7 players taking well over half their total cap

They have been Grundied a bit by Haynes, signed a long term high value deal after All Australian in 2020, last 2 years nowhere near it
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 67 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

rosspies wrote:Does anyone know why we did not show any interest in Jack Gunston?
My guess is that after missing out on him 2 years ago, Collingwood has decided that he is no longer a player with his best in front of him. I wholeheartedly agree with that assessment. Prefer others.
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
MatthewBoydFanClub

Post by MatthewBoydFanClub »

lazzadesilva wrote:
rosspies wrote:Does anyone know why we did not show any interest in Jack Gunston?
My guess is that after missing out on him 2 years ago, Collingwood has decided that he is no longer a player with his best in front of him. I wholeheartedly agree with that assessment. Prefer others.
My understanding is Hawthorn wanted a first round draft pick and wouldn't budge on him, then Gunston suffered a season's ending injury the following year. Meanwhile we moved on Ned Guy and our new football head in Graham Wright would have had a better understanding of what Gunston is worth. Since Fagan knows Gunston as well it would have come down to a personal choice between Brisbane or Collingwood, with Gunston deciding Fagan wanted him more than Wright did.
Dave The Man
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Dave The Man »

Because we got McStay and Gunston is not the Type of KPF/3rd Tall we need
I am Da Man
Born to Pie
Has liked: 9 times

Post by Born to Pie »

Hawks have delisted Tom Phillips, still only 26, which surprised me. Would we consider taking him back? A rookie maybe?
In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away
piedys
Has liked: 332 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by piedys »

Born to Pie wrote:Hawks have delisted Tom Phillips, still only 26, which surprised me. Would we consider taking him back? A rookie maybe?
Would he get the same money running around for us in the VFL, trying to reestablish himself, as he might in the suburban leagues?
I've no idea who funds the wages for those comps, or how they compare?
M I L L A N E 4 2 forever
Presti35
Has liked: 236 times
Been liked: 104 times

Post by Presti35 »

Born to Pie wrote:Hawks have delisted Tom Phillips, still only 26, which surprised me. Would we consider taking him back? A rookie maybe?
As a rookie, 100%.

He was well liked amongst the playing group and still has lots of friends here. Would be an uplifting move I reckon.
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
warburton lad
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 53 times

Post by warburton lad »

Phillips would be an excellent pick up (as a rookie).
He could walk straight into the side Round 1.
Has had a wretched run with injuries at Hawthorn.

On another note, former Cat (James Parsons) is nominating for the draft.
He is 25 years old- 189cms and 82kgs midfielder/forward.
Delisted by the Cats at the end of 2020.
Certainly worth a late pick...
Firm in the belief that number 17 flag is only months away...
piedys
Has liked: 332 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by piedys »

warburton lad wrote:Phillips would be an excellent pick up (as a rookie).
He could walk straight into the side Round 1.
Has had a wretched run with injuries at Hawthorn.

On another note, former Cat (James Parsons) is nominating for the draft.
He is 25 years old- 189cms and 82kgs midfielder/forward.
Delisted by the Cats at the end of 2020.
Certainly worth a late pick...
Would love to see clubman Phillips return to the fold.

Parsons, however, I feel will be remaining on Centrelink benefits into 2023
M I L L A N E 4 2 forever
inxs88
Been liked: 4 times

Post by inxs88 »

MatthewBoydFanClub wrote:
lazzadesilva wrote:
My understanding is Hawthorn wanted a first round draft pick and wouldn't budge on him, then Gunston suffered a season's ending injury the following year. Meanwhile we moved on Ned Guy and our new football head in Graham Wright would have had a better understanding of what Gunston is worth. Since Fagan knows Gunston as well it would have come down to a personal choice between Brisbane or Collingwood, with Gunston deciding Fagan wanted him more than Wright did.

Bit like between 1987-92 when all the old Hawks players seeking a superannuation deal headed to the Gold Coast under Peter Knights and Christopher Skase:

* Rodney Eade
* Ken Judge
* Peter Curran
* Robert Dickson
I love the Pies, hate Carlscum
Presti35
Has liked: 236 times
Been liked: 104 times

Post by Presti35 »

Are trades able to be done over the weekend? Or are we having to wait until Monday?
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!