#11 Daniel McStay

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Damien
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by Damien »

Chris Mayne was under a fair bit and look what he did. Let’s not make the poor guy our whipping boy before he’s even pulled on a boot!
'Collingwood are the Bradmans of Football'
The Herald - 1930
think positive
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 90 times

Post by think positive »

RudeBoy wrote:McStay will be under the most pressure of any new player, from supporters, since we recruited Peter Eakins from WA at the end of 1969. :shock:
gees i was 6 years old and still living in England! never heard of him!!

i like McStay, i think he will Mc-Stay!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
MatthewBoydFanClub
Been liked: 1 time

Post by MatthewBoydFanClub »

think positive wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:McStay will be under the most pressure of any new player, from supporters, since we recruited Peter Eakins from WA at the end of 1969. :shock:
gees i was 6 years old and still living in England! never heard of him!!

i like McStay, i think he will Mc-Stay!
I thought Peter Eakins was one of our best players in the 1970 GF. Another one who had his career wrecked by health issues. You need to have a strong stomach to be a Collingwood supporter. We haven't had much luck over the years. Bobby Rose would have to be the unluckiest coach in the world with Nathan Buckley not far behind him.
geoffrey68
Has liked: 1 time

Post by geoffrey68 »

RudeBoy wrote:
McStay will be under the most pressure of any new player, from supporters, since we recruited Peter Eakins from WA at the end of 1969.

I recall seeing Peter first in an interstate match( probably 1967) against the Vics at the MCG.He looked simply wonderful that day ..big blond chap ,fast, played CHB.. a real eye catcher. And that day the ball bounced perfectly for him.. In a game where his team was thrashed ( before SOO ) he was a standout and looked just stunning. I think it may have been on the basis of that performance that Collingwood chased and recruited him.
Turned out he was to a large degree a one trick pony.. Always played CHB and his game was to leave his man, attack and run at the ball...which looked great when the ball bounced his way.. but when it did not ,or his judgment was a bit out,which was more often than not, he left complete chaos behind him.
Played ,I think about 4 seasons, could not be counted a success... BUT on his day a thing of great beauty..and it is these impressions that have lasted and stayed with me for all these years.
I seem to recall reading that he passed away recently ?
Banksy

Post by Banksy »

skaman wrote:Calling a Collingwood player a spud, is being a spud supporter, and i use the term supporter with tongue firmly in cheek. In fact , in what capacity are you actually supporting?. Go down the hall of mirrors and have a good hard look at yourself. Get behind the players and have faith in the people/selectors/pros in the game before you make unjust an ill informed , ridiculous comments. Opinions are always welcome, but calling a black and white bretheren a spud before a ball is bounced is fkn blasphemy as far as im concerned.
For starters Collingwood players aren't fellow Christians and not part of a religious order. McStay isn't God or sacred.
I do agree, McStay isn't a spud and I should have worded it differently. I do feel this is the wrong call by the club and is definitely not worth a five-year deal believed to be worth around $600,000 per season plus our pick 35. McStay has been at the Lions for 9 years and has proven sfa. In fact, 2022 was his best year of footy and that's saying something.
Haff
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 41 times

Post by Haff »

Watch the fox footy take. It’s spot on.
The match day thread is for unfiltered BS knee jerk reactions. The time for level headed comment comes after.
RudeBoy
Been liked: 85 times

Post by RudeBoy »

skaman wrote:Calling a Collingwood player a spud, is being a spud supporter, and i use the term supporter with tongue firmly in cheek. In fact , in what capacity are you actually supporting?. Go down the hall of mirrors and have a good hard look at yourself. Get behind the players and have faith in the people/selectors/pros in the game before you make unjust an ill informed , ridiculous comments. Opinions are always welcome, but calling a black and white bretheren a spud before a ball is bounced is fkn blasphemy as far as im concerned.
Spot on skaman.
Seth

Post by Seth »

Banksy wrote:
For starters Collingwood players aren't fellow Christians and not part of a religious order. McStay isn't God or sacred.
I do agree, McStay isn't a spud and I should have worded it differently. I do feel this is the wrong call by the club and is definitely not worth a five-year deal believed to be worth around $600,000 per season plus our pick 35. McStay has been at the Lions for 9 years and has proven sfa. In fact, 2022 was his best year of footy and that's saying something.
Its not our pick 35, he is coming as a free agent. Brisbane get pick 35 from AFL as compensation (unless im mistaken!)
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 101 times

Post by Pies2016 »

^^^
You’re 100% correct.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
stui magpie
Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 95 times

Post by stui magpie »

Deal is done, McStay is now a Collingwood player and therefore deserving of respect from Collingwood supporters.

Whether you agreed with bringing him in or not, it's done, so lets give him some clear air and time to see how it plays out during 2023 and beyond.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Haff
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 41 times

Post by Haff »

Pies2016 wrote:
Haff wrote:Awesome take on McStay signing on fox footy. Spot on for mine on why this is a great move!
https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-tr ... 35e8444f7b
It’s a great listen. Everyone should hit the link, even if youve already decided he’s no good.
He’s also durable, a left footer ( which is good to have in the mix ) hard trainer and he drives standards on the track ( according to Dale Tapping )
Seriously everyone banging on needs to watch this unless you just want to rant and rave and not broaden your thinking..
The match day thread is for unfiltered BS knee jerk reactions. The time for level headed comment comes after.
Piesnchess
Has liked: 202 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by Piesnchess »

IF hes as good as ol spare parts man, Leigh Brown was, for us, I will be pretty damn happy. Takes a big grab mark, big lad, and a good kick, Wright is no fool, he knows his worth.
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 118 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

stui magpie wrote:Deal is done, McStay is now a Collingwood player and therefore deserving of respect from Collingwood supporters.

Whether you agreed with bringing him in or not, it's done, so lets give him some clear air and time to see how it plays out during 2023 and beyond.
Like all other players, he'll get such respect as he earns.
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

Welcome Daniel McStay to Collingwood. Hope you have a long and successful career with “us”

Go pies
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
Ronnie McKeowns boots

Post by Ronnie McKeowns boots »

rosspies wrote:He even said in his Wecome to Collingwood video on CFC site, he is a hard worker and does team things that will go unnoticed. David Noble said the same thing on trade radio yesterday.

No club is going to put their number one defender on him if he is forward beside Checkers..He might be of benefit as a stop gap to fill holes where needed in defence and be another forward depending on match ups.

His goal output per game is below Oliver Henry and Ash Johnson, and most of the disposal and marks he gets at Brisbane are outside of the forward 50. So who he replaces or if he does replace anyone is going to be difficult to justify.
Thats gotta be the most ridiculous statement I have ever read on here, and that's saying something; McStay has played over 150 games
"You hate a mean man, a grasping man, a man who wants everything and gives nothing. That’s Collingwood. They are a law unto themselves"

Jack 'Captain Blood' Dyer