#11 Daniel McStay

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

rosspies

Post by rosspies »

He even said in his Wecome to Collingwood video on CFC site, he is a hard worker and does team things that will go unnoticed. David Noble said the same thing on trade radio yesterday.

No club is going to put their number one defender on him if he is forward beside Checkers..He might be of benefit as a stop gap to fill holes where needed in defence and be another forward depending on match ups.

His goal output per game is below Oliver Henry and Ash Johnson, and most of the disposal and marks he gets at Brisbane are outside of the forward 50. So who he replaces or if he does replace anyone is going to be difficult to justify.
piedys
Has liked: 332 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by piedys »

Woods wrote:And there's a pack soaring for a mark near where the goal posts stand,
With a Collingwood player ready to gather and pass the crumb by hand,
And I’m wondering if he’s De Goey or if he’s McStay,
Do you remember, nothing stopped us on the field,
In our day.

(with apologies to Don Walker and Steve Prestwich)
But, oh... who needs Mark Robinson's BULLSHIT anyway?
It takes more than just dog Rosebury, to make me cry
An, I'm happy just to sit here, 'round a forum with old friends
An' see which one of us can tell the biggest lies
[no lyrical change required...]
M I L L A N E 4 2 forever
skaman
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by skaman »

Calling a Collingwood player a spud, is being a spud supporter, and i use the term supporter with tongue firmly in cheek. In fact , in what capacity are you actually supporting?. Go down the hall of mirrors and have a good hard look at yourself. Get behind the players and have faith in the people/selectors/pros in the game before you make unjust an ill informed , ridiculous comments. Opinions are always welcome, but calling a black and white bretheren a spud before a ball is bounced is fkn blasphemy as far as im concerned.
Enjoy yourself. Its later than you think!
Arch@M32
Has liked: 125 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Arch@M32 »

And there are fans, who've fallen in love,
With a new recruit we've got,
And his new black 'n white Guernsey,
really hits the spot
But we're still wondering will Henry stay or will he gooooooo.....
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

doriswilgus wrote:I don’t know much about Mcstay,because I never watch Lions games unless they’re playing us.But what I saw from his highlights package is someone who can take a contested mark and kick a long goal,so that already puts him ahead of our current key forwards.I don’t think he’ll ever be a star,but he will help the team structurally,and that’s the whole point of recruiting him,I would say.
Agreed. He will be an asset up forward.
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

And moving Nick Daicos fwd to in a close match mid season which McCrae specifically said came from Leppitsch in a post match interview. We won that match aided and abetted by the active participation of Leppitsch. Indeed our backline was much if not universally vaunted in 2022. Leppitsch’s positives far outweigh his negatives so on the balance of probabilities it may well be a good call. Let’s hope so.
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
Haff
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 41 times

Post by Haff »

Awesome take on McStay signing on fox footy. Spot on for mine on why this is a great move!
https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-tr ... 35e8444f7b
The match day thread is for unfiltered BS knee jerk reactions. The time for level headed comment comes after.
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 101 times

Post by Pies2016 »

Haff wrote:Awesome take on McStay signing on fox footy. Spot on for mine on why this is a great move!
https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-tr ... 35e8444f7b
It’s a great listen. Everyone should hit the link, even if youve already decided he’s no good.
He’s also durable, a left footer ( which is good to have in the mix ) hard trainer and he drives standards on the track ( according to Dale Tapping )
rosspies

Post by rosspies »

Geelong will have both Oliver Henry and Hawkins playing for the same price as McStay. Now explain why this is a great recruit at his price?
MatthewBoydFanClub
Been liked: 1 time

Post by MatthewBoydFanClub »

rosspies wrote:Geelong will have both Oliver Henry and Hawkins playing for the same price as McStay. Now explain why this is a great recruit at his price?
You have absolutely no idea what the combined salary of Hawkins and Henry will be getting at Geelong in the event Henry goes to Geelong. Fair enough, you don’t like McStay. You must watch a lot of Brisbane games. In my case I watch all Collingwood games and only when I get the time I watch Brisbane games. But the little I’ve seen of Brisbane I like what I see of McStay and think he’ll be a good acquisition for us. Incidentally since you seem to be an expert on overpaid players I can’t remember you complaining about the outlandish contracts of Beams, Treloar and Grundy. I do remember however many people complaining about Chris Mayne’s modest 4 year contract when he came to us. Can’t say any of those people were eating their words watching Chris’s performance in the 2018 GF.
MJ23

Post by MJ23 »

the money we are paying him is the same offered by Brisbane - with the exception that we offered a longer contract and he was happy to come back to Vic.

cant go by the Key stats - he was deliberately played up the ground for Joe and Hipwood to be the inside 50 talls. Those getting caught up in the stats dont understand how he was played and what is strengths will bring to our structure. His endurance and athletic ability will get him a lot of "out the back" goals in our structure.

For me its not about him or Grundy. He was coming regardless.

This coaching group including Jarrod Wade has earnt the right to be backed in I think.
"Even when Im old and gray, I wont be able to play but Ill still love the game"
Michael Jordan
rosspies

Post by rosspies »

Between him and Beau combined they average 1.5 per game. You need 15 plus goals a game to get top 4. That then builds pressure on other forwards. You now need the other 4 to average 3 plus goals a game.

It has already been stated Hawkins was on 300k this year. There is no way Henry will get paid more then Him. Geelong have responsible recruiting and don't pay overs.

I was dirty on us getting Beams. I wanted us to get Steven May.
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 118 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

^ List balance - every team needs a competent, in-house landscape artist.
Charlie Oneeye
Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by Charlie Oneeye »

Mcstay had his best year last year ?
2020 aside. His stats between 2018 and 2022 are steady, his shots at goal are consistent.
Hit outs since 2018 indicate more time up the ground, disposal count increase accordingly. His shots at goal however remain steady, indicating he has more to offer than just as a deep forward.

Daniher's signature also had the added benefit of expanding McStays role in the side. This is why 'Played his best footy last year'!

We will miss Grundy I agree, but no need to demonize McStay.
RudeBoy
Been liked: 85 times

Post by RudeBoy »

McStay will be under the most pressure of any new player, from supporters, since we recruited Peter Eakins from WA at the end of 1969. :shock: