#11 Daniel McStay

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Monco Matt

Post by Monco Matt »

BazBoy wrote:Graham Wright in his acknowledgement of Dan arrival

“ and Daniels attributes suit the way Craig and his coaching staff want to play

They have a plan Dan and your in it
A plan indeed! Making tough decisions along the way, clearing out some driftwood as well. As long as we all understand that McStay is here to do a swiss army knife role, not be the forward saviour then he will do ok on here. I like the idea of McStay taking forward 50 hitouts with Cameron and Cox sitting back at the 50 intercepting defensive kickbacks. Building pressure.
RED "BABY" CAVANAUGH: Didn't hear what the bet was.

MONCO: Your life.
Monco Matt

Post by Monco Matt »

rosspies wrote:I am absolutely devastated the club have gone down this path. I now hold Leppitsch and Graham Wright solely responsible for this. If I here another how he will help checkers I will spew. He takes an average of 1 mark per game in the forward 50. He averages less then a goal a game. Don’t say in MCrae we trust because that is just wishful thinking, and nothing based on his output for 2022. He obviously hasn’t handled the pressure of coming to Collingwood. Imagine how much more he will choke when he actually plays in front of the Collingwood Army.

I have seen him play one good game this year and that was when he was in the ruck in the First final. Fagan did not even give ten seconds worth of consideration to be have him play that role again the following week. In the prelim he got zero goals and zero goal assists and you think he will make us one Goal better against quality opponents. Please!!
He may fit in the backline? but it scares me.
If we didn't get someone with grunt and size to help Checkers right now then Checkers will fall apart next year. Imagine how f***ed we would be if Checkers went down next year. Checkers played a lot of this season carrying injuries because he has to go alone as the #1. He now gets "help" physically with McStay and this will be worth more than you are giving credit for. You need to see the bigger picture beyond what the individual can give but how the individual strengthens the collective.
RED "BABY" CAVANAUGH: Didn't hear what the bet was.

MONCO: Your life.
Banksy

Post by Banksy »

He's been at the Lions for 9 years and 2022 was his best year of footy. This decision has to be Leppitsch driven. Just like starting Maynard on Buddy in the Prelim.
Dave The Man
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Dave The Man »

rosspies wrote:I am absolutely devastated the club have gone down this path. I now hold Leppitsch and Graham Wright solely responsible for this. If I here another how he will help checkers I will spew. He takes an average of 1 mark per game in the forward 50. He averages less then a goal a game. Don’t say in MCrae we trust because that is just wishful thinking, and nothing based on his output for 2022. He obviously hasn’t handled the pressure of coming to Collingwood. Imagine how much more he will choke when he actually plays in front of the Collingwood Army.

I have seen him play one good game this year and that was when he was in the ruck in the First final. Fagan did not even give ten seconds worth of consideration to be have him play that role again the following week. In the prelim he got zero goals and zero goal assists and you think he will make us one Goal better against quality opponents. Please!!
Then say why did we get Hill as his Stats are Terrible
I am Da Man
RockabyDaisy

Post by RockabyDaisy »

Banksy wrote:

He's been at the Lions for 9 years and 2022 was his best year of footy. This decision has to be Leppitsch driven. Just like starting Maynard on Buddy in the Prelim.
Calm the hell down Ross & Bansky.

I agree and absolutely loath the decision for Grundy to be going in this way.

But I also can see that we need to improve in other areas such as our forward line. McStay takes the best defender. So 2nd, 3rd and 4th go to Checkers, Elliot, Hill, Gini and co.
It will stretch defences more.

You 2 act like its the end of the world and then you go an critise a coaching team who has taken us from 17th to 3rd.

Did you both like missing out on finals and losing games?
Did you notice we won more games without Grundy?

Settle. Calm.
Go Pies.

Otherwise go enjoy your misery. It's happening anyway and you may as well support the guy wearing black and white.
Or go join those clowns in the Red & Black shambolic club at the other end.
Collingwood FOREVER.
There is more to Football than life.
Johnno75
Been liked: 20 times

Post by Johnno75 »

With McStay Checkers will be able to spend more time between the arcs linking the backs with the forwards. It’s where he will play his best footy.

Yes a few free agents/trades haven’t worked for us but there are many that have become better at Collingwood.

Let’s wait and see hey….
Human behavioural studies suggest people who use a lot of swear words tend to be more honest & trustworthy.
slangman
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by slangman »

McStay will be a handy addition to the forward line.

Welcome and enjoy the ride!!!
- Side By Side -
Pep

Post by Pep »

I posted this in the trade target thread a while ago, but for anyone who's interested here is a side by side comparison of Checkers and McStay.

Here are this seasons stats and some general stats: (sorry if it's a bit hard to read)
Checkers || McStay
Player Rating: 327 || 167
Height: 192cm || 195cm
Weight: 97kg || 98kg
Games: 99 || 158
Goals: 1.9 || 1.2
Inside 50's: 1.3 || 2.6
Goal assists: 0.5. || 0.6
Score Inv: 4.9 || 5.1
Tackles: 2.0 || 1.5
Tackles I50: 1.2 || 0.6
Disposals: 9.6. || 11.5
Disposals %: 62% || 69%
Kicks: 6.7 || 7.2
Hand balls: 3.0 || 4.3
Cont Poss: 4.3 || 5.3
Uncont Poss: 5.0 || 6.4
Turnovers: 2.9 || 2.4
Marks: 3.9 || 5.4
Cont Marks: 1.3 || 1.5
Uncont Marks: 2.6 || 3.9
Marks I50: 2.2 || 1.4

So, based on these numbers. If we are happy with Checkers, wouldn't we be happy with McStay? Question is, would they make each other better??
As we have seen this year, just because you have two Coleman medalists, doesn't mean winning scores.
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 104 times

Post by Pies2016 »

^^^
Thanks Pep. Valid observations.
Why anyone wouldn’t keep an open mind is beyond me but we’re all different.
In the end, Miochek and Johnson didn’t fire a shot in the finals, so we need additional support in that area. If it wasn’t McStay, it would have been some other B grader because we didn’t have the cash or picks for anything better.
Instead, we targeted a durable 160 game 195cm versatile K P P who was getting a game in a decent team every week. And all that at no trade cost.
The least we could do is give him the first quarter until we put the knife in.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
Leggie
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Leggie »

Welcome Dan.
Happy to have you at the Club.
Bring on 2023.

Go Pies
Bring Back Tranquilli
Take_a_Screamer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 18 times

Post by Take_a_Screamer »

Another possible reason we got him is...

He's another Mac !!!

McFly is trying to fill the whole team with Macs, OMG. :oops:
Ash Johnson...you beauty
Johnson Screamer @ https://www.afl.com.au/video/931485/joh ... -epic-mark? ❤️️
doriswilgus
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 23 times

Post by doriswilgus »

I don’t know much about Mcstay,because I never watch Lions games unless they’re playing us.But what I saw from his highlights package is someone who can take a contested mark and kick a long goal,so that already puts him ahead of our current key forwards.I don’t think he’ll ever be a star,but he will help the team structurally,and that’s the whole point of recruiting him,I would say.
robevpau1

Post by robevpau1 »

Take_a_Screamer wrote:Another possible reason we got him is...

He's another Mac !!!

McFly is trying to fill the whole team with Macs, OMG. :oops:
He's a 'Big Mac' - hopefully with the lot!
think positive
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 90 times

Post by think positive »

Monco Matt wrote:
BazBoy wrote:Graham Wright in his acknowledgement of Dan arrival

“ and Daniels attributes suit the way Craig and his coaching staff want to play

They have a plan Dan and your in it
A plan indeed! Making tough decisions along the way, clearing out some driftwood as well. As long as we all understand that McStay is here to do a swiss army knife role, not be the forward saviour then he will do ok on here. I like the idea of McStay taking forward 50 hitouts with Cameron and Cox sitting back at the 50 intercepting defensive kickbacks. Building pressure.
this!

Our forward line has been THE problem for so long, pretty much since Cloke and his wonky but fairly effective feet left!!!
We have some brilliant key small forwards, Billy, obviously, Jack, Mcreery can kick a goal, the Daicos Bros, De Goey and we have Cameron and Checkers, but still too often there is too much pressure, too many talls, we get outmarked in our forward line, and everyone has to work so much harder. For me this is another Cameron, able to ruck, mark and kick goals. more importanlty it will make life easier and hopefully improve the accuracy of our brilliant small forwards. and then there is Bobby Hill. we have been screaming out for forwards. but if you cant just go and buy or cheat to get a Jeremy Cameron, you do what you can.

less pressure on the forwards is also going to make life less pressured for the mid field, hes a big unit, a target,

do i want to lose Grundy? no. but flys preseason comments ring the alarm bells. its not just money, its attitude, its buying in, its putting team first, its playing for sheep stations all game every game!

i reckon this will work out fine! id rather a champion team than a team of champions!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
think positive
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 90 times

Post by think positive »

doriswilgus wrote:I don’t know much about Mcstay,because I never watch Lions games unless they’re playing us.But what I saw from his highlights package is someone who can take a contested mark and kick a long goal,so that already puts him ahead of our current key forwards.I don’t think he’ll ever be a star,but he will help the team structurally,and that’s the whole point of recruiting him,I would say.
agree
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!