Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player discussion

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

They can add to the much required and essential depth of players available for selection. From there, they will be picked over others depending on their form or the poor form of those in the team. This is one area we have lacked so it’s great that it is being addressed properly. Can only make us stronger.
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 134 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

We won’t know about Grundy, Ollie and if anyone else is being traded until after the GF. Particularly Ollie as he’s linked to Geelong.
Pies2016
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by Pies2016 »

Damien wrote:If Fiorini, McStay, Hill and Frampton are all coming to the Pies, who’s spots are they taking in our best 22?
I’m not sure even Collingwood see all of them as best 22 players. The likely situation by round 5 or 6, is that we will have injuries to a number of our best 22 players anyway. That’s when you want to be in a position to still consider players with AFL experience and mature bodies over kids who aren’t quite ready or physically underdone.
You can see the players mentioned are all different types, so it’s got a look of adding more options and experience to specific areas of the ground. We won’t be giving up much, so we shouldn’t expect world beaters in return.

How our best 22 looks in 2023 is hard to know with so much to still play out but I would think McStay and Hill get a crack first up with the others to be determined by their pre seasons ( assuming they all get here )
Mr Miyagi

Post by Mr Miyagi »

At best they play their roles and strengthen the team. At worst they strengthen our VFL side and allow development of kids who will be stars. I hope! Hill is a big tick, I reckon Frampton will lift our defence. Jury’s out on McStay, but there might be issues with the coach in Brisbane so a change might bring out his potential.
skaman
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by skaman »

Delete
Enjoy yourself. Its later than you think!
Presti35
Has liked: 234 times
Been liked: 102 times

Post by Presti35 »

Matt Crouch.

Tom Mitchell.

Do we want either?
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
Presti35

Post by Presti35 »

warburton lad wrote:Whilst we are 'topping-up', surely Riley Collier-Dawkins is worth a look??

A 193cm & 88kg midfielder would be a lovely addition given he is only 20 years of age.

Not sure if he is worth a future second rounder, but worth a look given the age of this lad and a future where Sidey, Pendles, Adams, Elliott & Hoskin-Elliott are getting on in years.
RCD is uncontracted for next year, at this point.

He could possibly be a delisted free agent. Wouldn't that be nice to avoid a trade.

However, the Tigers will need a bit of assistance in getting enough picks to get Hopper and Taranto over.

I'd wait to see if he's delisted and then offer him a contract.
eddiesmith
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 24 times

Post by eddiesmith »

Presti35 wrote:Matt Crouch.

Tom Mitchell.

Do we want either?
I’d take Tom Mitchell if he comes cheaply enough. We might have to pay him a bit next year for his final year of his current contract but then downgrade him after that.
Pep

Post by Pep »

Damien wrote:If Fiorini, McStay, Hill and Frampton are all coming to the Pies, who’s spots are they taking in our best 22?
They might not take a spot outright. But I would say:

Frampton - competition with Murph and maybe Howe??
McStay - competition for CHeckers, Cameron, Cox, Krueger
Hill - Ginni, McCreery, Johnson. Hopefully Henry is still here to compete as well.
Fiorini - competition for midfield spots, takes pressure off Pendles and Sidey. Hopefully adds like Lipinski did. I did see that he won the 2021 most profession award at the suns.

Competition breeds hinger, and I reckon Fly will manage and motivate most of our players to try and break into the team.

I read that we are interested in Port ruckman Sam Hayes, age 23, 205cm, 102kg.
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 120 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

What I don't get is why Collingwood seems to have become involved twice in salary off-load transactions with Brisbane that resulted in us getting blokes who aren't that good and Brisbane getting star players.

Neale wanted out of Fremantle and Dunkley wants out of Footscray. It looks like we will have facilitated both players reaching Brisbane by taking Beams and McStay off their books. Why does Collingwood not make a play for the actual stars? It isn't like we don't have huge holes in our midfield. Neale and Dunkley would look quite alright in black and white jumpers in 2023.
MatthewBoydFanClub
Been liked: 1 time

Post by MatthewBoydFanClub »

Pies4shaw wrote:What I don't get is why Collingwood seems to have become involved twice in salary off-load transactions with Brisbane that resulted in us getting blokes who aren't that good and Brisbane getting star players.

Neale wanted out of Fremantle and Dunkley wants out of Footscray. It looks like we will have facilitated both players reaching Brisbane by taking Beams and McStay off their books. Why does Collingwood not make a play for the actual stars? It isn't like we don't have huge holes in our midfield. Neale and Dunkley would look quite alright in black and white jumpers in 2023.
We don’t have holes in our books. We have holes in our pockets. We can’t afford even one of Dunkley or Neale. The question we need to ask ourselves is how we got ourselves into this situation on our books of having so many players being paid over market value of what they’re worth. This happened around 2019-20 and it looks like years before it plays out. Richmond and Geelong don’t have this problem. They keep getting players we can’t afford and we have to settle for midrange players we can afford.
Mr Miyagi

Post by Mr Miyagi »

We don’t want to take players like Dunkley or Neale because they don’t want to play for us. If we forced them here, they’d be leaving in a year. Their minds are made up who they want to play for and that’s that. We can stand outside a hot chick’s bedroom serenading like John Cusack all day and night, but eventually you have to realise she’s just not into you.
Bleedblackanwhite

Post by Bleedblackanwhite »

I honestly don’t see how any of the players we are looking at acquiring will improve our list.

I’ve really tried,

But I can’t for the life of me see it.

I’m actually quite certain they’ll make us go backwards.

Happily to be proven wrong.
Collingwood forever, forever Collingwood
Podpicken

Post by Podpicken »

Presti35 wrote:Matt Crouch.

Tom Mitchell.

Do we want either?
Yes to Mitchell, absolutely
Billy Picken, the great No. 25 in the sky!
Presti35

Post by Presti35 »

Is this correct;

We now currently have 4 senior spots open, 1 rookie spot and 1 category B rookie spot open.