Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player discussion

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Cuthbert Collingwood

Post by Cuthbert Collingwood »

Good call piedys, him or Adams
McRae for Governor-General!
piedys
Has liked: 332 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by piedys »

Cuthbert Collingwood wrote:Good call piedys, him or Adams
Good to see you back in town CC; where you been dawg?
Mind you, you picked a crap arvo to drop in! :cry:
M I L L A N E 4 2 forever
Ronnie McKeowns boots

Post by Ronnie McKeowns boots »

What we need to do is get Lemmey in the draft, by any means necessary...you can't draft in good KPFs, you gotta draft them, too expensive otherwise.

McStay will be a handy addition to the list, anyone who tells you otherwise is talking sh*t.
"You hate a mean man, a grasping man, a man who wants everything and gives nothing. That’s Collingwood. They are a law unto themselves"

Jack 'Captain Blood' Dyer
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 120 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

^ He just possibly could be (despite all appearances to the contrary) - at least until we have a salary cap crisis in two years and then everyone on here starts asking why we contracted this spud at $650K per year for 5 years.
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 109 times

Post by Pies2016 »

Ronnie McKeowns boots wrote:What we need to do is get Lemmey in the draft, by any means necessary...you can't draft in good KPFs, you gotta draft them, too expensive otherwise.

McStay will be a handy addition to the list, anyone who tells you otherwise is talking sh*t.
IF and I say IF, Grundy moves on, they will aim higher than Lemmey with the early draft picks they will have. Lemmey was all the pre season rage but he’s slipped back because there’s a body of work from all the Vic kids once again, post Covid. If we can bundle up two late first rounders into something around pick 10, we will have bigger fish to fry than Harry Lemmey. Either Jefferson from the Chargers or Camden from the Rebels should be their targets ( or maybe Busslinger from WA ) Watch this space.
Haff
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 41 times

Post by Haff »

Pies2016 wrote:
Ronnie McKeowns boots wrote:What we need to do is get Lemmey in the draft, by any means necessary...you can't draft in good KPFs, you gotta draft them, too expensive otherwise.

IF and I say IF, Grundy moves on, they will aim higher than Lemmey with the early draft picks they will have. Lemmey was all the pre season rage but he’s slipped back because there’s a body of work from all the Vic kids once again, post Covid. If we can bundle up two late first rounders into something around pick 10, we will have bigger fish to fry than Harry Lemmey. Either Jefferson from the Chargers or Camden from the Rebels should be their targets ( or maybe Busslinger from WA ) Watch this space.
I’m worried that if Melbourne are dealing with Freo we will not have an early pick to speak of. Their first pick will be 14. That’s not getting it done so it might be another future first which doesn’t help us much.
The match day thread is for unfiltered BS knee jerk reactions. The time for level headed comment comes after.
themonk

Post by themonk »

Haff wrote:
Pies2016 wrote:

I’m worried that if Melbourne are dealing with Freo we will not have an early pick to speak of. Their first pick will be 14. That’s not getting it done so it might be another future first which doesn’t help us much.
Freo may have several 1st round picks with several players wanting to leave.

Time for Wrighty & co to do some magic.
Ronnie McKeowns boots

Post by Ronnie McKeowns boots »

Pies2016 wrote:

\

Lemmey will be good value for what he offers; we are not going to get a top 5 pick for Grundy, but if we can get enough for Lemmey...

Plus, how good to have a Lemmey on this list? Could be our Ace of Spades!
;-)
"You hate a mean man, a grasping man, a man who wants everything and gives nothing. That’s Collingwood. They are a law unto themselves"

Jack 'Captain Blood' Dyer
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

You don't "have to" draft them - Lynch and Cameron were both bought. Franklin was bought. Gunston was bought. West Coast traded for Kennedy.
I've probably missed others. It's just that when we've been buying for the last 20 years, we've been rummaging through the bargain basement bin looking for them. Lynch, White, Kreuger, Cameron, Mihocek, Cox - not criticising any of them as players, in this context, but there are no Travis Clokes at the $2 shop.

I found my original 45s of Jimi Hendrix's "Up From the Skies", the Five Man Electrical Band's "Signs", Canned Heat's "Let's Work Together", King Biscuit Boy's "King's Biscuit's Boogie" and Otis Redding's "Dock of the Bay" all for 10 cents a pop in one 10-minute forage in the discount bin at the Retrovision store in Ivanhoe. I got the Stones' Let It Bleed" LP and my brother got "The Who Sell Out", each for 99 cents, at Thomas' Record Store in the old Southern Cross Hotel building. I completed my set of all of Steppenwolf's albums with four magnificent pick ups in the discount bin at Clements' Records and Music.

Despite all that searching and my eye for a musical bargain, I never, ever, saw a 500-goal KPF lying around in a bin outside the Reject Shop.
MatthewBoydFanClub
Been liked: 1 time

Post by MatthewBoydFanClub »

Ronnie McKeowns boots wrote:
Pies2016 wrote:

\

Lemmey will be good value for what he offers; we are not going to get a top 5 pick for Grundy, but if we can get enough for Lemmey...

Plus, how good to have a Lemmey on this list? Could be our Ace of Spades!
;-)
If Jackson demands two first round draft picks then what does Brodie Grundy demand? Grundy is ten times the player Jackson is. If we don’t get the picks for a Grundy trade we deserve, we don’t trade him. It’s as simple as that. Grundy has a contract with us. We don’t have to trade him. This is a totally different situation to Ollie Henry. Henry is out of contract. Geelong can just bide their time until until we agree on their price for him, or the alternative is we let him walk to North Melbourne. Personally I’d let him walk to North Melbourne.
The Black and White Lion
Has liked: 204 times
Been liked: 68 times

Post by The Black and White Lion »

Freo has pick 13 and a first rounder next year. I reckon they’re losing just as much as they’re gaining and possibly sacrificing a few too many to get one player in. 4 or 5 players going including 3 from their best team.

Ah well that’s they’re loss but that’s what we have to consider too if we’re looking to trade in a gun FWD or gun contest MID.

If Freo trade pick 13 and next years first rounder, (lose Tucker, Acres, Logue and one of Meek/Lobb) I would be wanting this years pick 13 and try to bundle our two first rounders to move up in the top 10. Cadman, Busslinger, Jefferson, Hustwaite talls with talent and promise and a hopefully a bit more meat on their body compared to Kelly and McMahon. I don’t think we can get high enough to take the next round of Oakleigh Charger midfield guns in Tsatas or Wardlaw
Ed Allen kicked our last goal of the year at the 58minute mark
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

Pies4shaw wrote:You don't "have to" draft them - Lynch and Cameron were both bought. Franklin was bought. Gunston was bought. West Coast traded for Kennedy.
I've probably missed others. It's just that when we've been buying for the last 20 years, we've been rummaging through the bargain basement bin looking for them. Lynch, White, Kreuger, Cameron, Mihocek, Cox - not criticising any of them as players, in this context, but there are no Travis Clokes at the $2 shop.

I found my original 45s of Jimi Hendrix's "Up From the Skies", the Five Man Electrical Band's "Signs", Canned Heat's "Let's Work Together", King Biscuit Boy's "King's Biscuit's Boogie" and Otis Redding's "Dock of the Bay" all for 10 cents a pop in one 10-minute forage in the discount bin at the Retrovision store in Ivanhoe. I got the Stones' Let It Bleed" LP and my brother got "The Who Sell Out", each for 99 cents, at Thomas' Record Store in the old Southern Cross Hotel building. I completed my set of all of Steppenwolf's albums with four magnificent pick ups in the discount bin at Clements' Records and Music.

Despite all that searching and my eye for a musical bargain, I never, ever, saw a 500-goal KPF lying around in a bin outside the Reject Shop.
While that’s true there are a couple of assumptions. The first is that Brisbane wants to get rid of McStay; they don’t and, we are speculating on the amount of money and duration of contract if “we do get McStay.

He’s not the messiah and there might be others we have not considered yet.
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
think positive
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by think positive »

I really want to see what the coaches do in McStay. Hopefully it’s not in an envelope in a safe!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
think positive
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by think positive »

I really want to see what the coaches do in McStay. Hopefully it’s not in an envelope in a safe!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

watt price tully wrote:While that’s true there are a couple of assumptions. The first is that Brisbane wants to get rid of McStay; they don’t and, we are speculating on the amount of money and duration of contract if “we do get McStay.

He’s not the messiah and there might be others we have not considered yet.
It wasn't actually a comment about McStay. It was a comment in response to another post suggesting that you have to draft KPFs because they cost too much to buy. My point is that plenty have been bought by successful clubs - but, for whatever reason, Collingwood hasn't wanted to pay good money to get one from the top shelf. I'm not pointing the finger, particularly, but we have plainly preferred to pitch our big money elsewhere - particularly looking to buy developed midfielders. That's a bit surprising because the one thing you can always find in the draft is another dozen midfielders. You don't generally have to buy them and it generally doesn't end well when you do. Think Judd for Kennedy, Kelly to West Coast for 47 draft picks, Beams to Brisbane, Rockliff to Port Adelaide etc etc. If you could get your hands on the next Pendlebury or Buckley, I suppose you'd spend the money, if you had to - but it looks like we did and he arrived as a father/son. For the rest, mids are mostly just workhorses who get the ball from the contest. Generally, the goalkickers win games.