Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player discussion

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Magpietothemax
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

Johnno75 wrote:He wasn’t good tonight but who was from Brissy. Clearly McCrae, Leppa and Wright are fools looking into him????

All I am saying is let’s give the guy a chance, if from all reports he ends up at Collingwood. What if he plays back and is able to contain the likes of Hawkins, Dixon, Lynch or the King boys and releases Darcy Moore with more freedom. What if he plays forward and is used as the battering ram that frees up Checkers to maybe kick 40-50 goals.
Agree, Johnno
I actually thought mcstay was good in the first quarter for Brisbane.
However, when a whole team capitulates, as we saw tonight, not one player appears to have any value.
Brisbane's pressure rating tonight was almost -273 degrees Centigrade.
I think McStay would look very different if the pressure rating was even just 100 degrees Centigrade.
I am actually not enthusiasticl about us getting McStay.
However, what I am saying is that you have to envision the impact of any new player within the context of the structures and gameplan that we are creating.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
Jezza
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 245 times

Post by Jezza »

Pep wrote:Dan McStay finals stats.

EF, Disposals 23, Marks 9, Tackles 6, Hit outs 10, Goals 1, Ranking points 111, Opponent Richmond.

SF, Disposals 12, Marks 6, Tackles 2, Hit outs 0, Goals 2.1, Ranking points 80, Opponent Melbourne.

PF, Disposals 10, Marks 2, Tackles 3, Hit outs 1, Goals 0, Ranking points 42, Opponent Geelong. (I think it should be noted the highest disposal for the Lions was Neale with 20)

So from my point of view, he's performed in two of the three finals. And in the third final no Lions player can say they played well.

Looks like he will already be the scapegoat for the pies, I think he could add much needed KPP depth and will contribute much the same as Darcy Cameron, Well I hope he does!! The reported contract deal does worry me though...

As Johnno said, lets jus give him a chance before we doom him.
Great post.

Unfortunately he's going to be scapegoat for some supporters.

I trust McRae and Wright know what they're doing here.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
Rick
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Rick »

I wonder if Collingwood would be in the market for Lloyd Meek? I still believe they are a behemoth, bang and crash ruckman short.
mudlark

Post by mudlark »

Text message from my mate at 11.11 last night. Dan McStaysGod Father who was at the game and in the rooms after the game.
“”Hi Doc,from Dan himself,lm a Collingwood man in 2023””
MatthewBoydFanClub
Been liked: 1 time

Post by MatthewBoydFanClub »

RudeBoy wrote:
Johnno75 wrote:He wasn’t good tonight but who was from Brissy. Clearly McCrae, Leppa and Wright are fools looking into him????

All I am saying is let’s give the guy a chance, if from all reports he ends up at Collingwood. What if he plays back and is able to contain the likes of Hawkins, Dixon, Lynch or the King boys and releases Darcy Moore with more freedom. What if he plays forward and is used as the battering ram that frees up Checkers to maybe kick 40-50 goals.
Well he had plenty of opportunities to be a "battering ram" in a Prelim tonight, but he never got out of first gear. Regardless of talent, he simply offered no contest all night. I really hope I'm wrong, but I don't see why on earth we would want a guy such as he, when we already have a competitive beast in Kreuger on our list, plus the emerging Begg.
Don’t want to make excuses for McStay, but the first two entries I watched into the Brisbane forward line went straight to Geelong players. Geelong have the best defense in the league. Raynor is the only one I can see who can pinpoint a pass into the hands of a teammate from 40m out and he did his ankle in the second half. Hipwood and Daniher play further up the field. If you have a forward who plays close to goals and your side is getting killed and your best player for forward entries (Raynor) is off the field, all I can say is good luck. Kreuger could end up a better tall forward than McStay. However Kreuger has never played a full season due to injuries. People who think McStay is back up need to think again. McStay is not being paid 500-600k a year for 5 years to be a back up player. McStay is a first 22 player so get used to it. McRae will have his plans next year how to employ McStay’s strengths. Our setups are different to those of Brisbane. This needs to play out before we make up our minds. It could be a bust or it could be a major coup. All I can say his recruitment makes more sense to me than Quentin Lynch, who was washed out as a footballer when he came to us and Jesse White, who was never a natural footballer.
themonk

Post by themonk »

Rick wrote:I wonder if Collingwood would be in the market for Lloyd Meek? I still believe they are a behemoth, bang and crash ruckman short.
Yes please, no brainer if Grundy goes.
buzzlightyear

Post by buzzlightyear »

Like many, I am not convinced on McStay but if he does come down south, maybe he can play a "Leigh Brown" role.
Buzz
Looking for sweet 16.....
mattdally
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Post by mattdally »

Who cares what he does for the Lions.
Let's judge his performances next year if he is wearing a Pies jumper.
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 109 times

Post by Pies2016 »

^^^
I can only assume the angst is about the contract, which is a little bemusing to me because everyone wants to tell you he’s on $600,000 a year but he’s yet to even announce the club who is going to be paying him that.
Any angst coudnt be about the trade because there is none.
And it can’t be about the club having too many of his type because we’re overburdened with 6’5” big versatile players who are both the perfect games played and age demographics.
If he gets a game every week either in defence, the forward line or assists as a second ruck, then he’s improving us in 2023. If he doesn’t, then the criticism becomes fair. Surely he should at least be given the chance to play a few games in black and white before he’s put to the sword. After all, he wouldn’t be the first player to come to a second club and improve his game.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
Haff
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 41 times

Post by Haff »

No panic from me on McLeaving. I’ve seen enough that his best, in the right role, will complement this side we have put together. It’s no coincidence that none of the Blion fwds had a good night last night. Butchered the long ball into the fwd 50 and played into the cat’s hands. Was embarrassing really.
The match day thread is for unfiltered BS knee jerk reactions. The time for level headed comment comes after.
BazBoy
Been liked: 37 times

Post by BazBoy »

There are very good players and good players with smarts to improve their performance

Which is Mc Stay I wonder
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
BazBoy
Been liked: 37 times

Post by BazBoy »

I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 131 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Asked if he was resigned to losing McStay, Fagan said: “I don’t know because Dan hasn’t told me. But I would suspect if he was going to be a Brisbane player next year, we would know that by now.

“So if Collingwood’s the club Collingwood’s the club. That wouldn‘t surprise me, but we haven’t had that conversation.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-ne ... 9ca9f06ea0
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 120 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

Charlie Oneeye
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by Charlie Oneeye »

Like many here, my concern is the contract length.

But lining up tonight are Noble, Cox,WHE.

2 different professional coaching regimes are agreeing on selections which many pundits were blaming the previous inept coaching group.

The moral of the story is, give people a chance if they are selected. We can be wrong.