Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player discussion

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

themonk

Post by themonk »

Fiorini?

Really an improvement?
BazBoy
Been liked: 37 times

Post by BazBoy »

Yep I read up on Fiorini

186 cm
84 kg
Age 25

About the size / weight of most mids
Body be AFL tuned at 25

Almost identical size / weight to Lipinski and a yr older
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 109 times

Post by Pies2016 »

themonk wrote:Fiorini?

Really an improvement?
It’s an interesting one. I don’t see him as necessarily an improvement on our best 22 but don’t mind the thinking when it comes to improving our list profile in the short term. We really did play a number of kids in the seniors this year who aren’t ready but we all convince ourselves that’s great for their development. That’s not always true and plenty of kids go backwards after being played in the seniors ahead of time.
Fiorinni strikes me as quickish with neat skills but also gives the appearance of a down hill skier. If the trade was nominal and the contract nothing special, I reckon he gets a game ahead of a few underdeveloped players who aren’t as prepared for AFL footy as he is. I recently posted an entire new thread on our list profile and it’s short term failings and his type ( mid twenties, 100 odd games ) is what our list needs. There’s plenty of these types around but it’s getting it right that separates the failures from the moneyball successes.
Conversely, you also don’t want to take on to many of these types either because if you trade in to many average footballers, then you end up with an average list. Such is the balancing act of a list manager.
swoop42
Been liked: 3 times

Post by swoop42 »

I quite like the suggestion of Setterfield (192cm 87kg) if we're looking for some cut price midfield options with scope for improvement.

Turns 25 in February, former pick 5 selection, missed I think basically a couple of seasons with injury but finished the season strongly against Melbourne and Collingwood in the AFL / VFL final.
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

swoop42 wrote:I quite like the suggestion of Setterfield (192cm 87kg) if we're looking for some cut price midfield options with scope for improvement.

Turns 25 in February, former pick 5 selection, missed I think basically a couple of seasons with injury but finished the season strongly against Melbourne and Collingwood in the AFL / VFL final.
Is Setterfield being traded? His surname sounds like a Peter Allen song.
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
npalm
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by npalm »

^^^ re: Fiorini. It's been suggested elsewhere that Callum Brown is likely to be delisted. Callum & Fiorini are roughly about the same age and played the same number of games. Their stats are about the same. Why would you delist Callum and bring in Fiorini? Why would you delist one depth player to just replace him with another? Especially when the new one is probably going to cost you more.
Side by side.
Piethagoras' Theorem
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 7 times

Post by Piethagoras' Theorem »

Is it just me or are all these possible ins woefully underwhelming considering our possible outs? Not sure I want to know anymore about this year's trading! :shock:
Formally frankiboy and FrankieGoesToCollingwood.
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 109 times

Post by Pies2016 »

npalm wrote:^^^ re: Fiorini. It's been suggested elsewhere that Callum Brown is likely to be delisted. Callum & Fiorini are roughly about the same age and played the same number of games. Their stats are about the same. Why would you delist Callum and bring in Fiorini? Why would you delist one depth player to just replace him with another? Especially when the new one is probably going to cost you more.
Very different players. Fiorini is much more an outside type. He’s got good leg speed and more the metres gained type. He’s also a far deeper kick than Callum ( which isn’t difficult ) McRaes game style is all about gaining maximum territory as quickly as possible and you just don’t get that when Callum has the ball in hand. Fiorini is also more versatile, so I have him as an upgrade but that’s all relative to any trade and contract ( if it goes ahead )

Post by #26 »

How are we feeling about McStay after his last two finals games? I thought he was good against Richmond. And although he had a low disposal count last night he had a hand in a few goals. I think he'll definitely be in our best 22 and I'll be happy to get him as long as he doesn't give us salary cap issues.
MatthewBoydFanClub
Been liked: 1 time

Post by MatthewBoydFanClub »

#26 wrote:How are we feeling about McStay after his last two finals games? I thought he was good against Richmond. And although he had a low disposal count last night he had a hand in a few goals. I think he'll definitely be in our best 22 and I'll be happy to get him as long as he doesn't give us salary cap issues.
If he had of played with us against Geelong we would have won. It's as simple as that. It's what he contributes to the team which you don't measure in stats.
Boot
Been liked: 3 times

Post by Boot »

I’m not sure that I agree that McStay being in Collingwood’s team last week would have given us victory. Who in the 22 would he have replaced? Johnson? Mihocek? I’d rate both those players ahead of McStay at the moment.
Collingwood Domination. Envy of the Nation!
AN_Inkling

Post by AN_Inkling »

Boot wrote:I’m not sure that I agree that McStay being in Collingwood’s team last week would have given us victory. Who in the 22 would he have replaced? Johnson? Mihocek? I’d rate both those players ahead of McStay at the moment.
He'd have replaced Cox. Pretty clear to me the current regime don't like playing two rucks. They want a ruck and forward/ruck. This is why McStay makes sense and why it looks likely Grundy will be traded.

Cox only played 46% game time last week. We aren't often using him or Cameron as forward targets this year. This has taken an extra toll on Mihocek who is almost always the sole key forward.
Well done boys!

Post by #26 »

Our lack of composure in front of goal was the biggest factor in last week's loss.
RudeBoy
Been liked: 90 times

Post by RudeBoy »

AN_Inkling wrote:
Boot wrote:I’m not sure that I agree that McStay being in Collingwood’s team last week would have given us victory. Who in the 22 would he have replaced? Johnson? Mihocek? I’d rate both those players ahead of McStay at the moment.
He'd have replaced Cox. Pretty clear to me the current regime don't like playing two rucks. They want a ruck and forward/ruck. This is why McStay makes sense and why it looks likely Grundy will be traded.

Cox only played 46% game time last week. We aren't often using him or Cameron as forward targets this year. This has taken an extra toll on Mihocek who is almost always the sole key forward.
Without being super critical I actually think some poor tactical coaching last week cost us the game, particularly in the last 15 mins of the game. As players are tiring it is often the case that teams bomb the ball forward in hope. That was when our 7 ft Yank would have been useful in the goal square. Instead he was on the pine. From Fly's comments after the game, I reckon he knows that was a mistake.
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 120 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

Quaynor can go. Woeful in 2 finals in a row. Just doesn’t have intense finals football in him.