Post Match. Pies pipped in thriller. All comments.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

What'sinaname
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 19 times

Post by What'sinaname »

Magpietothemax wrote:
What'sinaname wrote:
Magpietothemax wrote: WTF??
A "laughing stock" ?
Not sure how you work that out.
Go to BigFooty mate. We've given an early Christmas present to opposition supporters.
I don't base my on what opposition supporters in Big footy think
Doesn't stop us being the laughing stock. I don't think you get it. Oppositioj supports are laughing AT us. This was the best outcome they could have hoped for.
Meredith1965

Post by Meredith1965 »

I thought there was a good chance we’d get taken apart. Instead, we showed we are as good as the cats. This is a team capable of winning a premiership, though perhaps not from here.

If we had taken some if our copper-bottomed chances, we might have been on the other wide of the ledger.

The odd thing is that we rarely seemed to play the fast, flowing game that has been our trademark this year, yet were still in an arm wrestle at the death. The biggest problem seemed to be that we lost composure going into F50 in the final quarter. Quite why we resorted to bombing it into 2:1 contests after 3Q time is a mystery. Perhaps Johnson’s corkie restricted his leading ability.

Forward targets of Krueger and McStay would be a big help.
Piesnchess
Has liked: 202 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by Piesnchess »

What'sinaname wrote:And normal programming resumes with the Pies returning to finals laughing stock again.

We win pretty much every close H&A game and then lose the close final.

Only a total moron would make such a damn ludicrous pathetic comment like that, no way are we a laughing stock, we just ran best team in the comp to one bloody kick, no thanks to shitty umps. Even my bro in law, one eyed Tiger, said we did real well, real good, and should be proud of our boys. Wake up to yourself, that was way below the belt. :o :?
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Larabee
Has liked: 9 times

Post by Larabee »

mudlark wrote:
Damien wrote:So proud of this team. And to the flogs on here who are:

1. Blaming the umpires
2. Calling for Mihocek to be dropped
3. Talking about whether we can beat Sydney or not

I will say:

1. Umpiring was brilliant, let it go all game and no team had a clear advantage,
2. Mihocek had a quiet game yes but no way he’ll be dropped
3. we gotta win another game before we worry about Sydney

Had a gutful of the whingers on this site. Especially about umpiring. If you can’t just acknowledge what a brilliant performance that was by our team, you don’t know squat about footy and definitely haven’t played it.
You’re the only flog pal. Miochec has about 20 touches in the last 6 games. Think of what we lost by and then think of his decision to play on from 20 metres out directly in front. He’s our goddamn full forward FFS. Doesn’t chase always falls over at the contest had didn’t even have a handful of possessions. The umpires are cheats and nothing more. They were a disgrace and a blight on what was a great finale game.
100%. I love Checkers and he is class but he has been subpar of late. The play on farce tonight was unforgivable. I think he’s down on confidence.
President - Coffs Harbour Collingwood Supporters Assoc. Inc.
What'sinaname

Post by What'sinaname »

Piesnchess wrote:
What'sinaname wrote:And normal programming resumes with the Pies returning to finals laughing stock again.

We win pretty much every close H&A game and then lose the close final.

Only a total moron would make such a $$%^%%$ ludicrous pathetic comment like that, no way are we a laughing stock, we just ran best team in the comp to one bloody kick, no thanks to shitty umps. Even my bro in law, one eyed Tiger, said we did real well, real good, and should be proud of our boys. Wake up to yourself, that was way below the belt. :o :?
You know how we laughed at Richmond for losing by a goal on Thursday. That's happening to us right now.

He's a post from BF

"Life is beautiful,Suck s**t collingwood!"
pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

Lost that one with inexperience and a lack of forward options, which we already know about. Defence great, de Goey brilliant, rucks good but not enough grabs, wings good but they eventually got too much ball rebounding through there (partly due to bad forward structure). You can't both miss that many shots and get so comprehensively beaten in your own forward line.

In my view we blinked by selecting Kreuger. Statistically, it's going to be a runner that goes down and you play the statistics. We clearly would've been far better off with fresh running legs and were essentially ground down bit by bit over the second half and needed them. Perhaps we blinked by selecting Tay at all, but by not covering him with a medi-sub we made that risk worse.

They were always going to take some grabs when it opened up, so we had to balance that with our own rebound goals. But the forward line couldn't hold its shape in the last third of the game.

Being a tall too few in the backline also meant Maynard had to play too defensively, which deprives us of run and marking options coming out.

They were very good covering us out wide, but still we did enough in that regard if the forward line was more effective. When the game is hot there is far less chance to lower the eyes, so you need a few muscle grabs of scrubby kicks, kicks dropping short, etc. to make up for it, which they had.

The umpiring nudged there way. One farcical 'insufficient intent' for a long defensive clearance under pressure, the push on Ginni clear in the middle of the back early, and a complete refusal to call holding the ball on them under almost any circumstances come to mind. But not enough that we still couldn't have won it, so again no point harping on about it.

Live and learn, Pies. Lots of young players in their first final, and not enough physical cover for the likes of Nick Daics, Jamie, Ginni, Ash Johnson, etc. A player like Ginni needs to be front-and-square to a beast when he's forward, not an aerial target for rushed kicks, but we just lack the personnel. The objective for him is to get the tank to rove forward/HF/mid. That big extra forward will then create channels for the proper leading forwards, Ash and Jamie.

I would've liked to see McCreery get a defined tagging role to help bring him to the ball more, and another pre-season will help. de Goey our best by a margin (no coincidence he's also the only player with Geelong-like physicality in our midfield, too), followed by Moorey, J. Daics, Quaynor, Sidey and Nicky.

Don't exaggerate the loss, folks. We were beaten by a bigger-bodied, bigger-marking list, and we're a couple of years behind that in terms of recruitment and physical development. Grundy (or his replacement) was always going to be missed against a tall, big-bodied team. Not to be. That's where a couple of trade periods/years of development will help because we'll have the depth by then.

We can still win it from here, and you'd hate to play us, but as we all know we're a big defender, big key forward and monster mid short, so we'll be winning despite that for a year or two.

Carna' Pies.
In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
PyreneesPie
Has liked: 66 times

Post by PyreneesPie »

Johnno75 wrote:

There was a particular holding the ball on the Warne stand HF flank that was blatantly missed when the scores were tied so who knows what happens if that’s paid. Maybe we should ask for Stevic next week…
Yep, I know exactly the one you mean. I was gobsmacked, as the ball just fell away from the Geelong player when he was tackled. A really bad non-decision
Meredith1965

Post by Meredith1965 »

^ yes, .checkers has been great fir us the last few years but he seems to be struggling badly. His brain fade was not the issue - players have to make snap judgements and occasionally they will not be the right ones. The problem is that he is not just not getting the ball enough. Seems to have gone right off the boil.
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

What'sinaname wrote:
Magpietothemax wrote:
What'sinaname wrote: Go to BigFooty mate. We've given an early Christmas present to opposition supporters.
I don't base my on what opposition supporters in Big footy think
Doesn't stop us being the laughing stock. I don't think you get it. Oppositioj supports are laughing AT us. This was the best outcome they could have hoped for.
So really, the only way they wouldn't be laughing at us, according to you, is if we had won.
So what you are saying in essence is: losing a QF to the minor Premiers by 1 goal makes us a laughing stock, simply because we lose.
It is up to you of course if you want to be so sensitive as to base your mood on the idiotic and hostile reactions of opposition supporters.
I prefer to base myself on what actually just happened.
A game of inches, that we could have easily won.
It will heighten us energy levels to unknown levels next week.
It could just be the motivating factor we need to go the next step.
It is your choice if you want to simply succumb to the idiocy of inane opposition supporters whose only aim is to make you feel bad.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
What'sinaname

Post by What'sinaname »

PyreneesPie wrote:
Johnno75 wrote:

There was a particular holding the ball on the Warne stand HF flank that was blatantly missed when the scores were tied so who knows what happens if that’s paid. Maybe we should ask for Stevic next week…
Yep, I know exactly the one you mean. I was gobsmacked, as the ball just fell away from the Geelong player when he was tackled. A really bad non-decision
joemamone@gmail.com

Post by joemamone@gmail.com »

No need to blame anyone except ourselves. There were several occasions when we stuffed the opportunities up forward. My main issues were the way Geelong was able to score three goals without any defenders near them. This killed us. Another issue was the penchant to bomb the ball in hope in the last quarte to an undersized forward line. Finally, our inability to prevent them to immediately reply to our goals.
Believer
What'sinaname

Post by What'sinaname »

Magpietothemax wrote: So really, the only way they wouldn't be laughing at us, according to you, is if we had won.
So what you are saying in essence is: losing a QF to the minor Premiers by 1 goal makes us a laughing stock, simply because we lose.
It is up to you of course if you want to be so sensitive as to base your mood on the idiotic and hostile reactions of opposition supporters.
It is your choice if you want to simply succumb to the idiocy of inane opposition supporters whose only aim is to make you feel bad.
I'm just telling you how it is. I don't give a shit, but I know how much joy our loss (and how we lost) is giving supporters of 17 other teams. Pretending it doesn't is just stupid.
warburton lad
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 51 times

Post by warburton lad »

PyreneesPie wrote:
Johnno75 wrote:

Firm in the belief that number 17 flag is only months away...
Piesnchess

Post by Piesnchess »

WHY worry about what some damn loser saints or scum fan thinks on Big footy, ????? They are the dregs of society over there, you KNOW we are hated cos of who we are, and they are jealous of us, have been for decades and decades. Be a cold day in hell when I worry what lowly saints, nth, dons fans think on Big dickhead Footy, they can just get rooted. Win next week and we shut them up. :o
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Piesnchess

Post by Piesnchess »

Magpietothemax wrote:
What'sinaname wrote:
Magpietothemax wrote: I don't base my on what opposition supporters in Big footy think
So really, the only way they wouldn't be laughing at us, according to you, is if we had won.

HEAR HEAR, well said, 100% agree, be a cold day in hell when I worry bout what Opposition dickhead loser jealous fans think on Big asshole Footy, we will shut em up next week, when we win again. 8)