Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player discussion

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Pep

Post by Pep »

Boot wrote:
Pep wrote:Afl.com.au reporting that Aaron Francis has requested a trade, has been mentioned here a bit before

25yrs, 1.93m, 54 games, pick #6 2015 draft, from S.A.

Could be handy, but if who we have been linked to are coming, then I can't see him coming in as well.
Aaron Francis has 7 seasons of evidence while at Essendon to demonstrate that he would not increase the talent pool at Collingwood and I suspect that Essendon will delist him if they can't find anyone interested in trading for him. If he is lucky he'll get a rookie spot with one of the Adelaide teams.
Yeah I was surprised he had only played 54 games, I think he had some injuries? But I vaguely remember him plying some decent footy at one point. I would rather put time into Charlie Dean and Kelly and McMahon.
If Collingwood's salary cap situation is so bad that we have to consider trading our double AA ruckman and pay an on-going $300,000 per year for the next 5 years for the privilege of having him play for our opposition then how could we even entertain the idea of recruiting Tom Mitchell? Surely if Tom goes anywhere it would be to Nth Melb where they have lots of salary cap room and his old coach Clarkson is now coaching?

Most of the players considering their future have their management "leak" that Collingwood is interested in their services to boost the potential market value. Very few of the rumored Collingwood interest in recruiting players is true.
I just assumed this could only happen if Grundy goes. As we were putting time into Taranto, I assume we could get Mitchell if we wanted to?? And we apparently have 3 to 4 players over the line according to the media lol So we do and don't have salary cap problems??
WhyPhilWhy?
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by WhyPhilWhy? »

To repeat what I posted elsewhere, what about Henry to Geelong for picks, that are then traded on to Hawthorn for Mitchell?
stui magpie
Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 95 times

Post by stui magpie »

^

Or straight swap with Hawthorn, Grundy for Mitchell, both new clubs pay the full contract?

(Personally I'd rather keep Grundy and don't really want Mitchell)
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
MatthewBoydFanClub
Been liked: 1 time

Post by MatthewBoydFanClub »

Boot wrote:
Pep wrote:Afl.com.au reporting that Aaron Francis has requested a trade, has been mentioned here a bit before

25yrs, 1.93m, 54 games, pick #6 2015 draft, from S.A.

Could be handy, but if who we have been linked to are coming, then I can't see him coming in as well.
Aaron Francis has 7 seasons of evidence while at Essendon to demonstrate that he would not increase the talent pool at Collingwood and I suspect that Essendon will delist him if they can't find anyone interested in trading for him. If he is lucky he'll get a rookie spot with one of the Adelaide teams.
I can't work Essendon out. There's no way in the world Aaron Francis is a forward. All his best work is down back and that's where Essendon broke down in the absence of Michael Hurley this year. Little wonder to me he's requesting a trade.
piffdog
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by piffdog »

LaurieHolden wrote:Caleb Poulter trade (2nd round pick or straight swap for Frampton)
Oliver Henry trade (1st round pick) if he doesn't want to be at Collingwood, talent aside, let him go.

Tyler Brown 1 year (I just want to see what Fly & co. can get out of him over another 12 months)
Steele Sidebottom 1 year (if we win the flag, I reckon he'd call time)
Liam McMahon 1 year
Josh Carmichael 2 year (looking for a big pre-season and to soak up the coaching nous)
JDG 2 year
Will Kelly 2 year (ditto Tyler Brown)
WHE 2 year

Callum Brown de-list
Isaac Chugg de-list
Jack Madgen de-list
Tom Wilson de-list
Trent Bianco de-list / re-list as a rookie

Jordan Roughead retired

The prospect of bringing in Hill, Frampton, McStay and Mitchell coupled with a bit of the old D.Hines draft day magic, happy days.

If Grundy does go, suspect that 'replacement' plays out into the 2023 draft. I'd love us to go into 2023 with 2, top 10 picks, potentially setting us up for a decade.

In G.Wright We Trust.
Good analysis. Always forget about being able to access next years picks too. Both trading out ours and/or trading in others.

I also share your faith in the list managers.
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
Johnno75
Been liked: 20 times

Post by Johnno75 »

McStay if played as a KPD will fill a big hole.
Tom Mitchell as an inside mid fills another big hole.
Hill as a small forward will only complement Billy and Ginni and make our forward line even more dangerous.

Hang on to Grundy and JDG and all of a sudden we look formidable.
Human behavioural studies suggest people who use a lot of swear words tend to be more honest & trustworthy.
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 131 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Crikey, Mitchell is 31 next year and a game away from an old man injury. Unless we think we’re a chance for a flag next year? I’d rather any trade for Grundy be for players 21-25.
stui magpie
Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 95 times

Post by stui magpie »

^

Reading between the lines and taking into account our current ladder position, my read is the club is taking the Geelong approach. Rather than rebuilding via the draft, trade for seasoned bodies to keep us in the zone while we still have Pendles, Sidey, Howe and Adams.

That quartet doesn't have long left, we have a lot of young kids on the list and need to maintain a core of experience while they develop to stay in contention.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Johnno75

Post by Johnno75 »

Mitchell is only 29 (30 mid year in 2023). Avg 28 disposals (13 contested) in 2022. F)&king no brainer…..if as on the evidence of this year our window is now open.
Human behavioural studies suggest people who use a lot of swear words tend to be more honest & trustworthy.
Mr Miyagi

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Johnno75 wrote:Mitchell is only 29 (30 mid year in 2023). Avg 28 disposals (13 contested) in 2022. F)&king no brainer…..if as on the evidence of this year our window is now open.
How many years do you reckon he has left in him? And do his disposals have impact on the scoreboard and win/loss result? Genuinely asking.
BazBoy
Been liked: 37 times

Post by BazBoy »

There’s one out on the Gabba right now by the name of McStay

Be interested to see how Nicksters assess him
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
Johnno75

Post by Johnno75 »

Mr Miyagi wrote:
Johnno75 wrote:Mitchell is only 29 (30 mid year in 2023). Avg 28 disposals (13 contested) in 2022. F)&king no brainer…..if as on the evidence of this year our window is now open.
How many years do you reckon he has left in him? And do his disposals have impact on the scoreboard and win/loss result? Genuinely asking.
2-3yrs……I know there is a school of thought he doesn’t hurt you, but other than Daicos who consistently gets 25-30 disposals. He should come cheap with Hawks also paying some of his salary, so why not. I would have said no this time last year but if we can clean up our contested ball next year we will trouble many teams with what I believe will be a better defence and game plan evolving even more from this year. We will be in it up to our ears.

I think he will help us winning more clearances, we can’t just rely on scoring from our back half for most of the game.
Mr Miyagi

Post by Mr Miyagi »

You’ve convinced me. Tbh I haven’t paid attention to Tom for a couple of years, since he got 50 disposals or whatever it was and wasn’t rated as impacting the game. If he can stay fit, with Adams and JDG our midfield will look a lot stronger for contested footy!
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

If Mitchell doesn’t cost too much then why not? His father owes us a million
Last edited by watt price tully on Thu Sep 01, 2022 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
Mr Miyagi

Post by Mr Miyagi »

[quote="watt price tully"]If Mitchell doesn’t cost too much then why not? His father owes us a million