Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player discussion

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Uncle Jack

Post by Uncle Jack »

When a club offloads a player but ends up still on the hook for part of their salary- ala Treloar and potentially Grundy- what affect does that have on the salary cap? Do the Western Bulldogs only have to include the part of Treloars salary that they pay in the cap? Is the $200,000 or so that Collingwood pay get included in Collingwood's cap?
warburton lad
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 51 times

Post by warburton lad »

We will be linked to at least 30 players between now and Trade Week.

Players like Tom Mitchell, Gunston, Ben Long, Frampton, Bobby Hill, Hopper, Taranto, Jack Henry, Zuurhaar, McStay etcetera would each add value to our list in their own way.

However, our first priority should and must be to retain the likes of De Goey and Grundy and keep our powder dry for our younger Pies to be retained.

I would be loathe to see both Brown brothers go and Poulter and/or Draper head back to South Australia, but the reality is if we are to introduce new talent, we have to let some players go.

The wild card here is if we happen to win the flag is what Pendles, Howe, Sidebottom choose to do- if they depart, we will have considerable scope to recruit players like Hopper/Taranto/Mitchell/McStay/Hill.

I know that these boys are not household names, but I have sympathy for the likes of Harrison, Murley, Chugg, etcetera that had a restricted season in 2021 due to COVID. Still, that is what our List Management team are employed to do.

There is always a chance that we may make calls which are not on point, but I trust our recruiting team to get it right.
Firm in the belief that number 17 flag is only months away...
BazBoy
Been liked: 37 times

Post by BazBoy »

With Tom ,Dick & Harry about to wear Black & White stripes next season plus others

Who vacates to make space
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 131 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

BazBoy wrote:With Tom ,Dick & Harry about to wear Black & White stripes next season plus others

Who vacates to make space
Peter will pay Paul so Mary can play.
mattdally
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Post by mattdally »

A lot of names being thrown around this time of the year.
Let's enjoy what the next month brings then re-assess.
Some of these potential trades could be required, others may not be as important.

DeGoey is critical to retain.
Grundy is a watch and see.
I would have liked Taranto or Hopper to help in the middle, but Mitchell is better than both of them and would also be ideal.

Brown brothers are likely to be moved on, certainly wouldn't want to lose Poulter or Draper - both look good in VFL with Macrae and are still growing into their bodies.

Henry is a watch too - I sense he is confused about his role in the AFL team and wants more clarity before committing. Would love him to stay as he has the potential to be a superstar.
piffdog
Has liked: 4 times

Post by piffdog »

Uncle Jack wrote:When a club offloads a player but ends up still on the hook for part of their salary- ala Treloar and potentially Grundy- what affect does that have on the salary cap? Do the Western Bulldogs only have to include the part of Treloars salary that they pay in the cap? Is the $200,000 or so that Collingwood pay get included in Collingwood's cap?
Good question. Obviously the amount that the new club is paying goes under their cap. I assume in practical terms the player signs a new contract for the lesser amount and signs a contract amendment with their old club for the remainder. That would mean (I suppose) that the former club is left booking the residual payments under their TPP cap. Does that sound right?

So: Player A has 5 years to go @ $1m a year.

So current club needs to book 5 x $1m

Player A moves to Club B - who agree to pay him $750k x 5 yrs.

Player A signs a new contract with Club B for $750k x 5 years and agrees to sign a revised contract with Club A for $250k for 5 years. Its only in doing so that the player will actually agree to tear up the initial contract they had. Player still gets their $1m per year x 5 years.

Club A is $750k better off each year under their cap, but has to still book the $250k.

Have I got this right? Surely that $250k doesn't disappear completely from everyone's books does it?

If that's right it highlights how much more dangerous long term contracts are. Not just for the money you spend, but the room it costs you in your cap for your next crop of superstars.
Last edited by piffdog on Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 175 times
Been liked: 176 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

Pep wrote:Tom Mitchell... based purely on numbers, we would be silly not to entertain 1 2yr with with triggers for a third... Would lighten the load for our senior players while letting our draftees learn and develop with less pressure to perform.

Everything involved in the trade/deal will have ti be right... Will we get him? Probably not.
I'd happily trade out a 2nd round pick or player. It'd provide insurance for any experience deficit should any of 30 yr old + senior players call time earlier than we expect.
Also invaluable cover for the injury prone Adams.
Having an addition like Mitchell to further tutelage the likes of the Daicos bros. could be a masterstroke. Could he become Luke Ball mk2?
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
piffdog
Has liked: 4 times

Post by piffdog »

LaurieHolden wrote:
Pep wrote:Tom Mitchell... based purely on numbers, we would be silly not to entertain 1 2yr with with triggers for a third... Would lighten the load for our senior players while letting our draftees learn and develop with less pressure to perform.

Everything involved in the trade/deal will have ti be right... Will we get him? Probably not.
I'd happily trade out a 2nd round pick or player. It'd provide insurance for any experience deficit should any of 30 yr old + senior players call time earlier than we expect.
Also invaluable cover for the injury prone Adams.
Having an addition like Mitchell to further tutelage the likes of the Daicos bros. could be a masterstroke. Could he become Luke Ball mk2?
At this stage we don't have any second rounders - but could well find some somewhere as we go through trade period. Any trade that doesn't cost an arm and a leg and could contribute to our contest/clearance would be worth pursuing. Now stats can be misconstrued, but Mitchel 8th highest average contested possession getter in the comp (our next best is Adams at #38 ). Pretty similar stats to Adams otherwise.
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
mudlark

Post by mudlark »

We have many "Depth players" we have blooded and can play at any time. Bianco, Ruscoe, MacCrae, Carmichael, who I doubt will be a Depth player anyway.A pre season will see him a permanent fixture in the mid field.Chugg,Harrison Kelly,McGuiness,Poulter and Wilson.
We need to clear the decks of what some consider to be "List Cloggers," and trade the Brown Brothers, Madgen, Wantaway Poulter, and if Henry wants outs be it and Will Kelly.I don't know what sort of money these boys are on but it's pure folly to trade away a 2 time AA to a team whose premiership window is open wide. We could easily keep Grundy and JDG and pursue the 3 players we are linked to. The Brown Brothers packaged up to Brisbane for McStay or even Poulter and a pick and Mitchell would come cheap and we are crying out for an extractor around the clearances. Add Tarranto and Hill and all of a sudden we're looking pretty good. I can see no obvious reason that our 3 tells couldn't play in the same team.Grundy is mobile and could be a target up forward or an extra in defence whilst taking the ruck duties at either end.
My take on McStay is that he will be a key defender and Kreuger ,Johnston and Mihochek our tall forwards with Cox, Cameron and Grundy roaming through.
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 175 times
Been liked: 176 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

Caleb Poulter trade (2nd round pick or straight swap for Frampton)
Oliver Henry trade (1st round pick) if he doesn't want to be at Collingwood, talent aside, let him go.

Tyler Brown 1 year (I just want to see what Fly & co. can get out of him over another 12 months)
Steele Sidebottom 1 year (if we win the flag, I reckon he'd call time)
Liam McMahon 1 year
Josh Carmichael 2 year (looking for a big pre-season and to soak up the coaching nous)
JDG 2 year
Will Kelly 2 year (ditto Tyler Brown)
WHE 2 year

Callum Brown de-list
Isaac Chugg de-list
Jack Madgen de-list
Tom Wilson de-list
Trent Bianco de-list / re-list as a rookie

Jordan Roughead retired

The prospect of bringing in Hill, Frampton, McStay and Mitchell coupled with a bit of the old D.Hines draft day magic, happy days.

If Grundy does go, suspect that 'replacement' plays out into the 2023 draft. I'd love us to go into 2023 with 2, top 10 picks, potentially setting us up for a decade.

In G.Wright We Trust.
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
BazBoy
Been liked: 37 times

Post by BazBoy »

25 year old 201 cm /90 kg Billy Frampton (not offered contract at Crows) is said to be “over the line “ as a Pie next year
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
Jezza
Has liked: 176 times
Been liked: 245 times

Post by Jezza »

Magpietothemax wrote:
Jezza wrote:Sam McClure claims Geelong is out of the race for JDG.

JDG will either stay or go to St Kilda next year.
If this is true, then he will remain a Pie. Why would you go to St Kilda instead of staying with us???
Money.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
Pep

Post by Pep »

Afl.com.au reporting that Aaron Francis has requested a trade, has been mentioned here a bit before

25yrs, 1.93m, 54 games, pick #6 2015 draft, from S.A.

Could be handy, but if who we have been linked to are coming, then I can't see him coming in as well.
Boot
Been liked: 3 times

Post by Boot »

Pep wrote:Afl.com.au reporting that Aaron Francis has requested a trade, has been mentioned here a bit before

25yrs, 1.93m, 54 games, pick #6 2015 draft, from S.A.

Could be handy, but if who we have been linked to are coming, then I can't see him coming in as well.
Aaron Francis has 7 seasons of evidence while at Essendon to demonstrate that he would not increase the talent pool at Collingwood and I suspect that Essendon will delist him if they can't find anyone interested in trading for him. If he is lucky he'll get a rookie spot with one of the Adelaide teams.
Collingwood Domination. Envy of the Nation!
Boot
Been liked: 3 times

Post by Boot »

If Collingwood's salary cap situation is so bad that we have to consider trading our double AA ruckman and pay an on-going $300,000 per year for the next 5 years for the privilege of having him play for our opposition then how could we even entertain the idea of recruiting Tom Mitchell? Surely if Tom goes anywhere it would be to Nth Melb where they have lots of salary cap room and his old coach Clarkson is now coaching?

Most of the players considering their future have their management "leak" that Collingwood is interested in their services to boost the potential market value. Very few of the rumored Collingwood interest in recruiting players is true.
Collingwood Domination. Envy of the Nation!