Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player discussion

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Pies4shaw
Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 118 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

I didn’t mention Armstrong. You did. As for “ below the belt”, I’m sure that if Brisbane had a single competent additional tall on their list, they’d get a game in preference. McStay is firing blanks. He might win 11 Brownlow Medals playing under our coach - but at the moment, he’d struggle to look good in our seconds.

Tell me seriously that there aren’t 25 players on the Brisbane list you’d rather see in black and white.
Cam
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Cam »

To me, McStay looks like a direct Checkers replacement. Grunt, contested ball, someone who can stand up whilst others fall. Spending money on a forward or back for mine might have given us a bit more to look forward to. Ideally, Henry and Johnson would become our Gunston and Bruest or even perhaps Lloyd and Lucas.
Get back on top.
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

Yeah, McStay looks underwhelming recruiting from the outside but as usual I guess the club knows best. I will be far more excited by our draft choices.
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

DP
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
What'sinaname
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by What'sinaname »

The Lynch at Hawthorn goes alright.
Fighting against the objectification of woman.
Mossi
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Mossi »

RudeBoy wrote:The very thought of us recruiting McStay troubles me at night and keeps me awake. :cry:
Me too! Just a no go, can't see what he can offer!!!!

McStay, stay where you are!!
mudlark

Post by mudlark »

lazzadesilva wrote:Yeah, McStay looks underwhelming recruiting from the outside but as usual I guess the club knows best. I will be far more excited by our draft choices.
Dan McStay has left the building as far as I can see. Can't wait to get out of Brisbane. Playing more in the ruck than a forward and just looks disinterested.He'd have to be an upgrade on Mihochek.
jatsad
Been liked: 14 times

Post by jatsad »

What'sinaname wrote:The Lynch at Hawthorn goes alright.
No he doesn’t
Jatsad - That is all
Presti35
Has liked: 222 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by Presti35 »

inxs88 wrote:Suggested Outs:

C Brown (delist) Interest from North and Swans. (Small ground SCG makes sense)
I Chugg (delist) Agree
Madgen (delist) Delist and Re-Rookie
WHE (should retire) Dont Agree.
M Keane ( retired)
J Roughead (retired)

Rumoured:

B Grundy (Dees trade)
C Poulter (go home factor) Arlo Draper also in this equation?

Vulnerable:

T Brown (See Cal. North and Swans have interest)
L McMahon Not sure where he's at.
Kelly I think gets another year to step up
My additional comments in bold.

I wonder if North would part with pick 1? I wonder if North are interested in Grundy and any other players or picks?
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
MatthewBoydFanClub
Been liked: 1 time

Post by MatthewBoydFanClub »

Pies4shaw wrote:I didn’t mention Armstrong. You did. As for “ below the belt”, I’m sure that if Brisbane had a single competent additional tall on their list, they’d get a game in preference. McStay is firing blanks. He might win 11 Brownlow Medals playing under our coach - but at the moment, he’d struggle to look good in our seconds.

Tell me seriously that there aren’t 25 players on the Brisbane list you’d rather see in black and white.
Come on mate. 25 better Brisbane players than Daniel McStay are there? How come he played 19 games this season then. Remind me how many games Jesse White played for Sydney when we recruited him. How many games did Kreuger play for us this year? He plays the same position. Go check out the championship data on Daniel McStay this season - above average for disposals and above average for marks. This all reminds me of the same criticism Leigh Brown copped when he played for us. Let’s have this same conversation same time next year.
Ronnie McKeowns boots

Post by Ronnie McKeowns boots »

"Pies4shaw" McStay is firing blanks.
Geez P4S, no need to have a crack at old mates virility, surely? :lol:
Pep

Post by Pep »

Here are this seasons stats and some general stats: (sorry if it's a bit hard to read)
Checkers || McStay
Player Rating: 327 || 167
Height: 192cm || 195cm
Weight: 97kg || 98kg
Games: 99 || 158
Goals: 1.9 || 1.2
Inside 50's: 1.3 || 2.6
Goal assists: 0.5. || 0.6
Score Inv: 4.9 || 5.1
Tackles: 2.0 || 1.5
Tackles I50: 1.2 || 0.6
Disposals: 9.6. || 11.5
Disposals %: 62% || 69%
Kicks: 6.7 || 7.2
Hand balls: 3.0 || 4.3
Cont Poss: 4.3 || 5.3
Uncont Poss: 5.0 || 6.4
Turnovers: 2.9 || 2.4
Marks: 3.9 || 5.4
Cont Marks: 1.3 || 1.5
Uncont Marks: 2.6 || 3.9
Marks I50: 2.2 || 1.4

So, based on these numbers. If we are happy with Checkers, wouldn't we be happy with McStay? Question is, would they make each other better??
As we saw today, just because you have two Coleman medalists, doesn't mean winning scores.

The contract numbers is the sticking point. $600k?? Pretty sure someone said its not near that much. I really hope thats true...
Presti35
Has liked: 222 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by Presti35 »

Karl Amon has officially walked out on Port.
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 118 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

MatthewBoydFanClub wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:I didn’t mention Armstrong. You did. As for “ below the belt”, I’m sure that if Brisbane had a single competent additional tall on their list, they’d get a game in preference. McStay is firing blanks. He might win 11 Brownlow Medals playing under our coach - but at the moment, he’d struggle to look good in our seconds.

Come on mate. 25 better Brisbane players than Daniel McStay are there? How come he played 19 games this season then. Remind me how many games Jesse White played for Sydney when we recruited him. How many games did Kreuger play for us this year? He plays the same position. Go check out the championship data on Daniel McStay this season - above average for disposals and above average for marks. This all reminds me of the same criticism Leigh Brown copped when he played for us. Let’s have this same conversation same time next year.
There are 12 players who have played more games for Brisbane this year than McStay. The 12 does not include Rich, Zorko, Adams, Ah Chee, Daniher, Gardiner, Fort, Robinson or Hipwood. That gets me to 21 and I haven't bothered to review the rest of their list.

White played 15 for the Swans the year before he came to us. He kicked 20 goals in those 15 games. Here's your player compare of McStay's 2022 and White's final year in Sydney - White is ahead on the averages in most areas: https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_ ... fopt2=2013

For Collingwood, this year, McCreery has played 19 and De Goey has played 16 - I doubt that I can persuade you that McCreery is the better player.

I'm not sure any of the stats matter much, though - White and McStay were/are both potatoes. Collingwood can recruit McStay if they want - but, in my respectful opinion, it would be a bizarre and pointless decision to do so, unless he's coming as depth and on a contract worth next to nothing. My main concern, though, is with the lunacy being spruiked on here to the effect that Grundy and $300K of his salary goes to Melbourne and we pay, in substance, the balance of Grundy's salary to an incoming McStay. I don't see how anyone in possession of their faculties could seriously think that was a net benefit to Collingwood. If we have a means of bringing in an elite mid (or even, say, Taranto - who is about the 6th best-performed in the GWS midfield, this season - but lets pretend for a moment that he is a gun) and paying them elite-mid money and get McStay for an inflated salary, then we must be able to keep Grundy, get the elite mid and let Melbourne have McStay - which do you think Melbourne would prefer?
think better
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 29 times

Post by think better »

I wonder if there is any interest in Matt Crouch - Adelaide will probably off load him and he is a very strong clearance player.
I think therefore I think - I think