Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player discussion

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 105 times

Post by Pies2016 »

^^ ^
I don’t have a problem with Stocker as a player ( most Carlton people will tell you his best and worst remain to far apart ) but I think our clubs window is at the point where we need to start saying what trades make us better on field or who fills a void. Personally, I would rather wait to improve our list with a quality player who is best 22 and play the kids as top ups in the interim.
Eg. MacRae isn’t getting a game but is Stocker that much better than him ?
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
MatthewBoydFanClub
Been liked: 1 time

Post by MatthewBoydFanClub »

Pies2016 wrote:^^ ^
I don’t have a problem with Stocker as a player ( most Carlton people will tell you his best and worst remain to far apart ) but I think our clubs window is at the point where we need to start saying what trades make us better on field or who fills a void. Personally, I would rather wait to improve our list with a quality player who is best 22 and play the kids as top ups in the interim.
Eg. MacRae isn’t getting a game but is Stocker that much better than him ?
The answer is no. And then there's McInnes who everybody else has forgotten. If Stocker gets a game it's at the expense of MaCrae and McInnes who have their careers stalled while these guys who we bring in get games. The only exception I make is Taranto who is an A-grader midfielder who would be a natural successor to Pendlebury. The need to recruit a player like Taranto recedes with the likelihood that De Goey is staying.
Presti35
Has liked: 222 times
Been liked: 97 times

Post by Presti35 »

Mr Miyagi wrote:Go hard for Sam Draper. Quite a few players disgusted with Essendon’s treatment of Rutter and it’s even worse now that Clarkson chose North. There’ll be several wanting to leave, so take advantage of it.
That's what I've been trying to say.

Draper and Wright thanks. This can only happen if they sack Dodoro.
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
Presti35

Post by Presti35 »

I see Brad Hill wants out of St Kilda.

Would say yes except his contract is ridiculous. He may be North bound with Clarko. I wonder if this changes Ian Hill's choice of club too?
Ronnie McKeowns boots

Post by Ronnie McKeowns boots »

Mr Miyagi wrote:Go hard for Sam Draper
Me too! 8)
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

It will be a stupid move. However if JDG is content to go to North, let him. He will eternally regret that move once he gets there. He can go on betting sprees with Stephenson and stuff up bad and we wouldn’t care a jot
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
Presti35

Post by Presti35 »

You'd think any half decent North player is off the table now that Clarko has arrived.

Bye bye Larkey, McKay and Zurhaar.

But if they're looking at Brad Hill, I wonder if North becomes a suitor for Grundy too? They will have some nice looking draft picks.
rad

Post by rad »

Gee, McStay does not impress me.
Doesn’t do much as a forward.
Didn’t contest a ball up and it cost them a goal.
Played on Petracca in the backline and just ball watched as Petracca got the ball and ran off and set up a other goal.

I was hoping he’d play FB for us but watching him, he has no awareness, quickness or anything.

I was hoping to see something but I actually don’t see anything.
simon tonna

Post by simon tonna »

Was keeping an eye on mcstay last night while at the Gabba and can’t say anything positive at all about him. He really has zero impact on the field and I for the life of me cannot make sense into why we would.
no second chances
MatthewBoydFanClub

simon tonna wrote:Was keeping an eye on mcstay last night while at the Gabba and can’t say anything positive at all about him. He really has zero impact on the field and I for the life of me cannot make sense into why we would.
Their lead to forwards are Daniher and Hopper. If the side is getting belted like Brisbane was last night, McStay would be spending most of the night ball gazing. What you need to do is imagine the role McStay would have in the Collingwood team surrounded mainly by medium forwards and small forwards. It’s a different story.
mattdally
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Post by mattdally »

I hope so!
He was pathetic last night and has been for a good chunk of this season.
Either he's checked out already - or he his just not good enough.
I have huge concerns if we're offering 5 years to him.
MatthewBoydFanClub

mattdally wrote:I hope so!
He was pathetic last night and has been for a good chunk of this season.
Either he's checked out already - or he his just not good enough.
I have huge concerns if we're offering 5 years to him.
I would have preferred three years. However you pay market value to pluck him out of Brisbane and bring him back to Melbourne.
Pies2016

Post by Pies2016 »

^ ^ ^’
To be fair, the entire Lions team was pathetic last night. They had more problems than McStays performance on the night.
He’s kicked 6 in the last three games ( but had a lean patch leading up to that ) and he may not even be playing as a forward at Collingwood. I agree if it is a five year deal, that seems a little over the top but I have him as good enough to get a game in best 22, so given we’re on the up, I can live with that. We really need some strength at either end of the ground and he does come with some versatility on that front. I’ll trust the club on this one but I’m not sure even the club is thinking he would still be holding down a key post in five years time.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

I must admit that I’m not convinced that McStay is an answer to fill in a gap back or front. Just unsure about his role if he does end up at Collingwood. Are there others available who are a better get? From comments here and elsewhere I’m getting cold feet about this guy.
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
Pies2016

Post by Pies2016 »

lazzadesilva wrote:I must admit that I’m not convinced that McStay is an answer to fill in a gap back or front. Just unsure about his role if he does end up at Collingwood. Are there others available who are a better get? From comments here and elsewhere I’m getting cold feet about this guy.
There are plenty better options available but they would all likely involve significant trades. The only attraction McStay really holds is that there is no trade involved in securing him. I think if you asked either Miochek or Moore whether they would like the extra support of 196cm big body around them, they couldn’t spit out “ yes “ quick enough. People keep saying McStays not this and he’s not that but I would suggest even at the lowest end of any output from him, he would certainly make Miocheks or Moore’s job easier.
We started the year with Roughead and Krueger as best 22 players and by about round 5 ( ? ) we had neither for the rest of the season. One end at least, need to be addressed for 2023.