Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player discussion

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

LaurieHolden
Has liked: 175 times
Been liked: 176 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

Just for a moment ponder if Grundy handed back say $100k of his salary. He'd get the supporters back on side, send a clear intention to the playing group and give us some shoulder room in the cap.
Perhaps a wish borne from altruism, but wouldn't it reset the narrative on his contract.
If the Club had the opportunity to get say Tarranto, and Hopper at the end of 2023, perhaps the lure of a Premiership might just have him mull it over.
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
derkd
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 23 times

Post by derkd »

Boot wrote:I'm now full of expectation that an exciting September for Collingwood will be followed by an explosion of big transfers in the AFL Trade Period including the following;
1. Grundy to GWS and DeGoey stays at Collingwood
2. Taranto & Bruhn to Collingwood as part of Trade for Grundy
3. Jackson from Melbourne to Fremantle
4 McStay to Collingwood
5. Lobb & Jones to Footscray to give them the tallest team in the AFL
6. Weideman & Rankin to Adelaide Crows
7. Buddy Franklin to Brisbane
8. Dusty Martin to Sydney Swans
9. Hopper from GWS to Richmond or Geelong
10. Amon from Port Adelaide to Hawthorn

I hope to see Collingwood resign Jamie Elliot, Jordan DeGoey and Ollie Henry before this season is over.

The above scenario of losing Grundy is a huge loss for Collingwood but with the sterling efforts of Cameron, Cox and up-coming development of Begg and the chance to off-set his loss by freeing up enough salary cap to retain Jordan DeGoey as well as secure young on-ball talent such as Taranto & Bruhn from GWS I can't help but think the unthinkable is the best outcome for Collingwood both short and long term success.

Lol always makes me laugh these sort of posts...any explanation of HOW we get those deals done?

Grundy is on 1mil a year, his trade value in picks is zero....or next to zero maybe a 3rd rounder unless we pay a large amount of his salary..which we can't really afford to do. Oh he has to also want to go..he is still contracted.

We keep De Goey on 800k a season?, while paying Mcstay 600k, Tranato 700k (could be more) ...oh and with our VAST war chest of draft picks with which to bring in a Taranto he will be worth at least pick.10...he was pick.2 in his draft year.
"To know nothing of events before your birth, is to forever remain a child" - Cicero (Roman Lawyer/Senator) 46 BCE.
derkd
Been liked: 23 times

Post by derkd »

Personally, if I was a betting man, my money is still on De Goey being elsewhere next year.
"To know nothing of events before your birth, is to forever remain a child" - Cicero (Roman Lawyer/Senator) 46 BCE.
Damien
Been liked: 11 times

Post by Damien »

Tim Taranto = no thanks
'Collingwood are the Bradmans of Football'
The Herald - 1930
scoobydoo
Been liked: 5 times

Post by scoobydoo »

derkd wrote:
LaurieHolden wrote:
MatthewBoydFanClub wrote: Grundy won't go to GWS. If anything Grundy goes to Adelaide. We get draft picks in return which go to GWS in return for Taranto which alleviates their salary cap issues. If De Goey leaves (which seems highly unlikely now) he goes to St Kilda or Geelong. The interesting one is Henry if he doesn't re-sign with us. I expect he'd want to join his brother at Geelong. In effect our coaching team fixes up a player who doesn't want to chase and Chris Scott gets all the benefit.
Just for a moment ponder if Grundy handed back say $100k of his salary. He'd get the supporters back on side, send a clear intention to the playing group and give us some shoulder room in the cap.
Perhaps a wish borne from altruism, but wouldn't it reset the narrative on his contract.
If the Club had the opportunity to get say Tarranto, and Hopper at the end of 2023, perhaps the lure of a Premiership might just have him mull it over.
Personally, if I was a betting man, my money is still on De Goey being elsewhere next year.
Are you a betting man?
Otherwise it’s like saying “I’d put money on it but I’m not going to”
I’d bet he stays at Collingwood next year.
Give me odds Sportsbet.
Piesnchess
Has liked: 202 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by Piesnchess »

MatthewBoydFanClub wrote:
stui magpie wrote:Why on gods earth would Grundy want to go to GWS? Surely he would want to either stay in Melbourne or go to Adelaide?

If Melbourne lose Jackson, which seems likely, I can't see them trading Weideman
Grundy won't go to GWS. If anything Grundy goes to Adelaide. We get draft picks in return which go to GWS in return for Taranto which alleviates their salary cap issues. If De Goey leaves (which seems highly unlikely now) he goes to St Kilda or Geelong. The interesting one is Henry if he doesn't re-sign with us. I expect he'd want to join his brother at Geelong. In effect our coaching team fixes up a player who doesn't want to chase and Chris Scott gets all the benefit.

We all know the Cats dont have a salary cap, if someone is not cooking the books at bloody Sleepy Hollow, id be amazed, how the hell could they possibly afford Degoey, otherwise ?? :o :o :o :o
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Piesnchess
Has liked: 202 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by Piesnchess »

derkd wrote:
LaurieHolden wrote:
MatthewBoydFanClub wrote: Grundy won't go to GWS. If anything Grundy goes to Adelaide. We get draft picks in return which go to GWS in return for Taranto which alleviates their salary cap issues. If De Goey leaves (which seems highly unlikely now) he goes to St Kilda or Geelong. The interesting one is Henry if he doesn't re-sign with us. I expect he'd want to join his brother at Geelong. In effect our coaching team fixes up a player who doesn't want to chase and Chris Scott gets all the benefit.

Me too, his body language and enthusiasm, last week, tells me hes very much a Collingwood man, very much so and Fly wants him, Wright knows that, heck, if he went thered be hell too pay, the Lexus centre would be bombed by Molotov cocktails, Pies fans have had enough shit like this, helping other teams lists, while we get jack shit, enough is enough. :o
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
RudeBoy
Been liked: 87 times

Post by RudeBoy »

LaurieHolden wrote:Just for a moment ponder if Grundy handed back say $100k of his salary. He'd get the supporters back on side, send a clear intention to the playing group and give us some shoulder room in the cap.
It's not allowed. If he was stupid enough he could certainly hand back money to the club, but it wouldn't have any effect on our salary cap. His 7 yr contract has already been included in our salary cap going forward until it comes to an end.
simon tonna

Post by simon tonna »

LaurieHolden wrote:Just for a moment ponder if Grundy handed back say $100k of his salary. He'd get the supporters back on side, send a clear intention to the playing group and give us some shoulder room in the cap.
He’s not in it for premierships Laurie. He’s words not mine.
no second chances
simon tonna

Post by simon tonna »

Dp
no second chances
RudeBoy
Been liked: 87 times

Post by RudeBoy »

Piesnchess wrote:
derkd wrote:
LaurieHolden wrote: Just for a moment ponder if Grundy handed back say $100k of his salary. He'd get the supporters back on side, send a clear intention to the playing group and give us some shoulder room in the cap.

Me too, his body language and enthusiasm, last week, tells me hes very much a Collingwood man, very much so and Fly wants him, Wright knows that, heck, if he went thered be hell too pay, the Lexus centre would be bombed by Molotov cocktails, Pies fans have had enough shit like this, helping other teams lists, while we get jack shit, enough is enough. :o
He's a competitor and clearly loves the big games. However, I've no doubt his manager has told him to finish off the season as a star, to demonstrate he is worth a a million bucks a year. The bottom line, remember, is, it was Collingwood which took its offer to JDG off the table, under pressure from the media and woke brigade. He didn't walk away from contract negotiations, we did. I always thought this was a stupid and potentially damaging thing to do. If he ends up elsewhere next year, it will be mainly the result of our mismanagement. Let's hope our club sorts this out and get's JDG resigned asap.
Presti35
Has liked: 222 times
Been liked: 97 times

Post by Presti35 »

Damien wrote:Tim Taranto = no thanks
Why's that Damien?
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
23 YIPPEE!!!

Post by 23 YIPPEE!!! »

Get rid of Grundy
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

Presti35 wrote:
Damien wrote:Tim Taranto = no thanks
Why's that Damien?
I have the same question? I don’t know about other players from other clubs. Have some say get him and others say don’t bother
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 175 times
Been liked: 176 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

Hearing we've secured a 28 year old, 203cm, 108kg dual All-Australian ruckman for the 2023 season, on a 5 year deal.

Looks like good list management, considering Cox will turn 32 early next year, with shrewd followers of the game adamant the fresh recruit will challenge Darcy Cameron for the no.1 ruck spot.
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers