Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player discussion

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 104 times

Post by Pies2016 »

skaman wrote:I just saw highlights of McStays game today looked ok? Anybody see his whole game?
He was ok. He kicked four today. He’s the third banana in that forward line and because their small forwards are so damaging, he really isn’t asked to do much. Just don’t get out marked. I still think he is a good fit for where we’re at. If he plays in defence, it helps out Moore. If he plays as a forward, then it helps out Miochek. If Krueger is best 22 next year, then I guess McStay would definitely start as defender. He’s a neat left foot kick and he’s happy to go hard when required. You will always pay overs for a free agent because there’s no trade involved. Its the “ free agency tax “ that inflates the contract a little.
We throw around names like confetti on here but not everyone wants to come to Collingwood. That’s just a harsh reality, so when you finally get a player who fills a need and who does want to join the club ( I’m only going by the press ) then you need to seriously entertain them.
Damien
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by Damien »

Here’s my take on McStay, pros and cons:

- He was good today; 4 goals, but before today he is averaging one goal a game. Not really good enough for a guy playing as the third tall forward.
- I reckon we were right to be into him 6 weeks ago but now Ash Johnson has emerged. They play a similar role and after 4 games Ash looks streets ahead and comes a hell of a lot cheaper.
- his body language looks really average but that could well be due to the fact that he knows he’s leaving. He was on the verge of being dropped before today.
- if he comes home to Melbourne he might blossom but with Mihocek, Johnson, Henry, Elliott; do we need another mid-sized marking forward?
- he’s a swing man, which is handy. Darce and Murph are our backline KP future and Jeremy Howe isn’t getting any younger.

I trust our recruiters and He could be a handy acquisition but not worth the money being talked about in my view.
'Collingwood are the Bradmans of Football'
The Herald - 1930
Jezza
Has liked: 176 times
Been liked: 243 times

Post by Jezza »

Piesnchess wrote:Talking to the garden gnome Neil Mitchell on radio yesterday, Tony Shaw virtually confirmed that Weidemann is definitely coming to the Magpies, its on, he said, and ive heard that from other sources too, as he cannot get games at the Deeees. Make of it what you will.
Weideman is rubbish.

The club isn't stupid enough to recruit him.
Last edited by Jezza on Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
Johnno75
Been liked: 20 times

Post by Johnno75 »

Just think Roughead was a forward/2nd ruck at the Doggies when they won the flag and we turned him into a KPD. Who is to say same thing won’t happen with McStay. It’s the versatility that appeals and it plugs a pretty big hole down back not to mention what Moore, Murphy or Howe can do when they have a solid big man to take the monster forwards.
Human behavioural studies suggest people who use a lot of swear words tend to be more honest & trustworthy.
DT
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 6 times

Post by DT »

McStay will provide flexibility as he can play forward or back. With the loss of Roughead, the failure of Kelly to play regular footy yet we are thin in tall key positions and McStay can be a solid role player for us while we try and develop Kelly or recruit a younger player. Howe is 32 and we are riding our luck big time in this area.
Daicos, impossible angle ... Goal!
gobbles21

Post by gobbles21 »

Damien wrote:Here’s my take on McStay, pros and cons:

- He was good today; 4 goals, but before today he is averaging one goal a game. Not really good enough for a guy playing as the third tall forward.
- I reckon we were right to be into him 6 weeks ago but now Ash Johnson has emerged. They play a similar role and after 4 games Ash looks streets ahead and comes a hell of a lot cheaper.
- his body language looks really average but that could well be due to the fact that he knows he’s leaving. He was on the verge of being dropped before today.
- if he comes home to Melbourne he might blossom but with Mihocek, Johnson, Henry, Elliott; do we need another mid-sized marking forward?
- he’s a swing man, which is handy. Darce and Murph are our backline KP future and Jeremy Howe isn’t getting any younger.

I trust our recruiters and He could be a handy acquisition but not worth the money being talked about in my view.
Finally some common sense and logic.
Boot
Been liked: 3 times

Post by Boot »

I'm now full of expectation that an exciting September for Collingwood will be followed by an explosion of big transfers in the AFL Trade Period including the following;
1. Grundy to GWS and DeGoey stays at Collingwood
2. Taranto & Bruhn to Collingwood as part of Trade for Grundy
3. Jackson from Melbourne to Fremantle
4 McStay to Collingwood
5. Lobb & Jones to Footscray to give them the tallest team in the AFL
6. Weideman & Rankin to Adelaide Crows
7. Buddy Franklin to Brisbane
8. Dusty Martin to Sydney Swans
9. Hopper from GWS to Richmond or Geelong
10. Amon from Port Adelaide to Hawthorn

I hope to see Collingwood resign Jamie Elliot, Jordan DeGoey and Ollie Henry before this season is over.

The above scenario of losing Grundy is a huge loss for Collingwood but with the sterling efforts of Cameron, Cox and up-coming development of Begg and the chance to off-set his loss by freeing up enough salary cap to retain Jordan DeGoey as well as secure young on-ball talent such as Taranto & Bruhn from GWS I can't help but think the unthinkable is the best outcome for Collingwood both short and long term success.
Collingwood Domination. Envy of the Nation!
mattdally
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

Post by mattdally »

That would be a huge win for us Boot if it falls that way.
We trade out Grundy - tick
Bring in Taranto - gun mid, won B&F in the grand final year
Bring in Bruhn - watch him play if you can - reminds me of a young DeGoey
Bring in McStay - another big gorilla who can take a grab and heat off Checkers and others. He has also remained injury free throughout his career.

Sign Jordy, Jamie and Ollie
We would be very well placed.
roar
Been liked: 3 times

Post by roar »

FFS, people. GWS are not going to grab Grundy when they have such big salary cap problems.
kill for collingwood!
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 175 times
Been liked: 176 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

Boot wrote:I'm now full of expectation that an exciting September for Collingwood will be followed by an explosion of big transfers in the AFL Trade Period including the following;
1. Grundy to GWS and DeGoey stays at Collingwood
2. Taranto & Bruhn to Collingwood as part of Trade for Grundy
3. Jackson from Melbourne to Fremantle
4 McStay to Collingwood
5. Lobb & Jones to Footscray to give them the tallest team in the AFL
6. Weideman & Rankin to Adelaide Crows
7. Buddy Franklin to Brisbane
8. Dusty Martin to Sydney Swans
9. Hopper from GWS to Richmond or Geelong
10. Amon from Port Adelaide to Hawthorn

I hope to see Collingwood resign Jamie Elliot, Jordan DeGoey and Ollie Henry before this season is over.

The above scenario of losing Grundy is a huge loss for Collingwood but with the sterling efforts of Cameron, Cox and up-coming development of Begg and the chance to off-set his loss by freeing up enough salary cap to retain Jordan DeGoey as well as secure young on-ball talent such as Taranto & Bruhn from GWS I can't help but think the unthinkable is the best outcome for Collingwood both short and long term success.
Bit early to start on the cans.
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
stui magpie
Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 95 times

Post by stui magpie »

Why on gods earth would Grundy want to go to GWS? Surely he would want to either stay in Melbourne or go to Adelaide?

If Melbourne lose Jackson, which seems likely, I can't see them trading Weideman
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

Why would any club take over his current contract?
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 175 times
Been liked: 176 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

Could somone remind me of when Beams' contact rolls off, is it the end of this season?
Also, when does Treloars run to? I thought 2025.
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
Jezza
Has liked: 176 times
Been liked: 243 times

Post by Jezza »

LaurieHolden wrote:Could somone remind me of when Beams' contact rolls off, is it the end of this season?
Also, when does Treloars run to? I thought 2025.
Beams was contracted until the end of 2022.

Treloar was contracted until the end of 2025.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
MatthewBoydFanClub
Been liked: 1 time

Post by MatthewBoydFanClub »

stui magpie wrote:Why on gods earth would Grundy want to go to GWS? Surely he would want to either stay in Melbourne or go to Adelaide?

If Melbourne lose Jackson, which seems likely, I can't see them trading Weideman
Grundy won't go to GWS. If anything Grundy goes to Adelaide. We get draft picks in return which go to GWS in return for Taranto which alleviates their salary cap issues. If De Goey leaves (which seems highly unlikely now) he goes to St Kilda or Geelong. The interesting one is Henry if he doesn't re-sign with us. I expect he'd want to join his brother at Geelong. In effect our coaching team fixes up a player who doesn't want to chase and Chris Scott gets all the benefit.