Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player discussion

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

rosspies

Post by rosspies »

If McStay comes in as a defender, I am starting to worry about why we are spending such a high percentage of our Salary cap on backman. It will stop us ever getting an A grade forward unless we go to the draft.
the fuzz

Post by the fuzz »

It seems as though Collingwood may finally be a 'destination' club.
The on field performance coupled with the players 'buy in' and glowing reports of Fly and vice versa, I can see opposition players wanting to come into that environment.
We will be in contention for a premiership very soon and that would be a big drawcard.
This has been a great year for the club apart from the JDG incidents. I hope we can keep him, I think it will be a huge boost.
MatthewBoydFanClub
Been liked: 1 time

Post by MatthewBoydFanClub »

swoop42 wrote:
MatthewBoydFanClub wrote:The ideal is two tall forwards, two tall backs and two rucks (or one ruck who can cover as a tall forward) and then you build up the mediums and smalls around your spine. We only won a premiership in 2010 after getting Reid and Brown down back, Cloke and Dawes down forward, a pure ruck in Jolly and Leigh Brown as the tough man who could relieve Jolly and play down down in the forward line. Nothing has changed in the last twelve years. The only thing that has changed is the way you move the ball. Mihocek is a lockdown as one of the key forwards. Moore is a lockdown for one of the key backs. Murphy and Johnson can carry out supporting roles in the spine of the field, but realistically to hold down one of those positions you need someone of strength and height who can split packs and Johnson and Murphy can't do that. That why McStay is a natural fit into our best team. Leigh Brown didn't kick a lot of goals and neither does McStay, but what McStay does is fills a vital role within the team structure.
If McStay is coming to the club to play the Leigh Brown role where does that leave Cameron and Grundy next season?

If our intention is to retain both then I would have thought our hope would have been to rotate them between the ruck position and up forward to provide that physical size.

With Mihocek, McStay, Grundy?, Cameron, Elliott, De Goey?, Ginnivan and McCreery among other possible midfielders / flankers rotating through the forward line best of luck to Henry, Johnson and Kreuger in 2023.

To be honest with the display of Cameron this season, his recent re-signing and our desire to sign McStay I'm starting to think our intention really is to trade Grundy and only use Cameron (or Cox) with a McStay or Kreuger as ruck support in 2023 (like 2010).

Of course this could change if McStay is earmarked for defence but no messaging from the club alongside those lines seems to be leaking out in the media as yet and we're all just assuming it to be a real possibility.
As good as Grundy is I always felt it was wrong of the club to be held to ransom of having to award a 7 year contract to him. It would have been better to have accepted the high draft picks from Adelaide for him and use them to recruit a couple of key position players. We have Cameron and Cox, with Begg developing and could have kept Lynch if we wanted to. As well as all that we would have had the money to recruit Taranto and still keep De Goey. Typical of the former football department regime which tried to keep what they thought was a premiership team together ignoring the lack of talent coming through on the list. It's a mistake Graham Wright won't repeat.
mattdally
Has liked: 1 time

Post by mattdally »

rosspies wrote:If McStay comes in as a defender, I am starting to worry about why we are spending such a high percentage of our Salary cap on backman. It will stop us ever getting an A grade forward unless we go to the draft.
Interesting - but look at the Dees. They loaded up on May and Lever and it's paid dividends.
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 104 times

Post by Pies2016 »

mattdally wrote:
rosspies wrote:If McStay comes in as a defender, I am starting to worry about why we are spending such a high percentage of our Salary cap on backman. It will stop us ever getting an A grade forward unless we go to the draft.
Interesting - but look at the Dees. They loaded up on May and Lever and it's paid dividends.
Not sure if 2022 was on track to be Rougheads last year or not but I doubt if Roughys contract would have been that much less than the alleged McStay numbers anyway. And if Roughy did finish prematurely, then there would be an unforeseen amount left to go around also.
qldmagpie67
Been liked: 89 times

Post by qldmagpie67 »

The Hill chase was last year I don’t think he’s on our radar now
McStay if he comes will be as a defender he’s not coming as a forward
Taranto is our prime focus he fits a need immediately and doesn’t come with the huge pay packet demand
If my mail is right he’s asking price is around $650k a year which in today’s game isn’t budget blowing
If we could keep JDG and also gain Taranto our midfield immediately looks loads better
Both can also play/rest forward and are better than average as forwards
A lot of our cap pain has been relieved with the departure of Phillips Treloar and Stephenson
The chat about trading Grundy doesn’t just happen without there being some basis. Someone in the club obviously thinks it’s a possibility these things just don’t get into the media by chance
Buckley’s comments when he went down injured saying and I quote “I don’t think the team will suffer as much as many in the media think it will” is now profound
As it stands now the team has found ways of winning without him so the noise has got louder and louder
Whether it happens or not is a different debate in a outer thread
If he was to stay we will obviously look at the balance of the team if he goes we will have a big chunk of cash to look for other needs
mattdally

Post by mattdally »

I'd have Taranto and Bruhn over Grundy.
We can cover the ruck.
Take_a_Screamer
Been liked: 18 times

Post by Take_a_Screamer »

Trade Talk.
Who's leading Taranto race? 3:00 --> Collingwood/Richmond.
McStay -> Collingwood.
DeGoey to stay? etc.
https://www.afl.com.au/video/812280/cro ... 9495381001
Ash Johnson...you beauty
Johnson Screamer @ https://www.afl.com.au/video/931485/joh ... -epic-mark? ❤️️
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

My ideal scenario would be for another club like Adelaide or Port wanting Grundy with (an necessary evil unfortunately) Collingwood paying a part of his salary. The light at the end of the tunnel will be ending such a dumb deal done by previous well meaning but incompetent administrators (3 really bad deals) that impacted negatively on the club. Another problem is that Grundy’s form and performances have not been worthy of a player earning huge dollars, whether coincidentally or for reasons unknown to us prior to his injury. I reckon be brave, bite the bullet, do what is right for the club instead of the player (the old time thinking that the club comes first) and let Grundy leave. I feel the consequences will be a worthwhile & positive outcome.
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
Pies2016

Post by Pies2016 »

Take_a_Screamer wrote:Trade Talk.
Who's leading Taranto race? 3:00 --> Collingwood/Richmond.
McStay -> Collingwood.
DeGoey to stay? etc.
https://www.afl.com.au/video/812280/cro ... 9495381001
Posted four weeks ago Taranto was either going to Collingwood or Richmond.
( the same post that said the Tigers would be able to afford him because Lambert would announce his retirement shortly
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

My mail is unwanted advertising and bills to pay.
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
Presti35
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 96 times

Post by Presti35 »

watt price tully wrote:My mail is unwanted advertising and bills to pay.
I got a birthday card once.
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
gobbles21

Post by gobbles21 »

MatthewBoydFanClub wrote: We have Cameron and Cox, with Begg developing and could have kept Lynch if we wanted to. As well as all that we would have had the money to recruit Taranto and still keep De Goey. Typical of the former football department regime which tried to keep what they thought was a premiership team together ignoring the lack of talent coming through on the list. It's a mistake Graham Wright won't repeat.
Um, no we couldn’t have. We wanted to keep him. He asked to leave for greater opportunity. Hawthorn promised him a shot at being number 1 ruck.

And, umm I hate to break it to you, but Graham Wright was already here when this happened
gobbles21

Post by gobbles21 »

Pies2016 wrote:Not sure if 2022 was on track to be Rougheads last year or not but I doubt if Roughys contract would have been that much less than the alleged McStay numbers anyway. And if Roughy did finish prematurely, then there would be an unforeseen amount left to go around also.
Roughead wasn’t even close to being on $600k
Pies2016

Post by Pies2016 »

gobbles21 wrote:
Pies2016 wrote:Not sure if 2022 was on track to be Rougheads last year or not but I doubt if Roughys contract would have been that much less than the alleged McStay numbers anyway. And if Roughy did finish prematurely, then there would be an unforeseen amount left to go around also.
Roughead wasn’t even close to being on $600k