#18 Finlay Macrae

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

LaurieHolden
Has liked: 174 times
Been liked: 176 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

Last edited by LaurieHolden on Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 101 times

Post by Pies2016 »

Ironic you start a thread about him. I was talking to a Vic U18 development officer the other day. He looks after the southern region and that includes Chargers, Dragons and Stingrays. Amongst other things, we were talking about the draft of 2020 and how three of best Vic ( metro ) midfield kids in that draft really hadn’t come on like most would have expected. Will Phillips ( chargers ) went #3 and is currently playing VFL for Kangas. Perkins at #9 was a jet at the dragons and although he kicked two against us on weekend ( he played a lot at H / F on the day ) he’s always been a prolific and damaging ball winner. MacRae at #19 was Phillips partner in crime at the Chargers and they would have likely won the flag had the U18s played that year. [ McInnes, Ugle- Hagen and Connor Stone ( GWS midfielder at # 15 odd ) were also in that team ]

The reason for the back story is that it highlights how a couple of more highly touted Vic midfielders than MacRae, have also struggled to find consistency in the seniors. The conclusion formed was the lack of footy for two years has hampered their development dramatically. If you think about it, they would have to be AT LEAST 12 months behind where they would normally be, had they played through. I know MacRae is a hard worker and he’s also a quality young man, so his improvement and development will look after itself. The bottom line is, it’s pretty hard to continue to develop, if the platform for development isn’t made available to you.
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 174 times
Been liked: 176 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

^ great feedback, says a lot. Perhaps another indicator that we need to be very patient with this current crop.
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
swoop42
Been liked: 3 times

Post by swoop42 »

Basically 2 seasons of U18 / VFL development lost due COVID.
People to easily seem to forget this and it's one reason I'm not prepared to write off the likes of Will Kelly just yet let alone be impatient with the progress of Macrae.
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
Dave The Man
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Dave The Man »

swoop42 wrote:Basically 2 seasons of U18 / VFL development lost due COVID.

People to easily seem to forget this and it's one reason I'm not prepared to write off the likes of Will Kelly just yet let alone be impatient with the progress of Macrae.
Kelly has had Injuries.

Not Every Player/Prospect are Stars in 1st few seasons
I am Da Man
Charlie Oneeye
Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by Charlie Oneeye »

For good reason, they were fast tracked last year. Now with a healthy list, they need to earn a spot.
Injuries still opens doors (see Begg) , but a couple of years in the Ressies is normal, I don't see it as a negative. The eyes can see enough potential, there's no lack of it.
Besides, all the reasons mention editorial above play a huge part too. To add. Without ressies, and in rebuild mode, giving them a game last year was their only chance to kick a ball in anger.
hermie

Post by hermie »

Shows you how special Daicos is
Dave The Man
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Dave The Man »

hermie wrote:Shows you how special Daicos is
Nick is a Freak
I am Da Man
bally12

Post by bally12 »

Better prospect than C Brown. At least he doesn't do loopy handballs. That's my pet hate.
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 129 times

Finlay MacRae

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Anyone know what’s going on? Thought he’d be in the 22 by now, or knocking on the door as sub. But Carmichael is getting games ahead of him. Homesick and missing his brother three suburbs away? Or is it a mix up with the coach’s surname?
The General
Has liked: 3 times

Post by The General »

Was thinking the same thing. Is a clearance king in the VFL, which is exactly what we need in the seniors right now.
Has recently been re-signed for two more years I believe so the club must rate him. But you would think right now is the time for him to be getting games while Adams is out, and Carmichael has the flu.
No even named as an emergency in recent weeks. Strange.
Mr Miyagi

Post by Mr Miyagi »

It’s odd for sure. He’s signed for two more so we must need him to work on something. How is his defensive play? I’ve hardly seen any VFL this year.
thesoretoothsayer
Been liked: 18 times

Post by thesoretoothsayer »

Couldn't we ask the same question about Kelly, Draper, Murley and Harrison who haven't, as yet, played a senior game under Fly?
Or Poulter and Chugg who, like Macrae, got one each?

He's not playing AFL because, in the coaching panel's opinion, there are better options within the squad.

Just like every listed player in the VFL it's a case of putting in consistent performances and making the most of your opportunities
if, and when, they present themselves.
Mr Miyagi

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Felt Fin had more potential and looked like he’d be knocking on the door faster than Chugg, Draper, Murley and Harrison. ;)
mattdally
Has liked: 1 time

Post by mattdally »

Really like the way Finn is developing.
Club is smart with this - don't throw him in the 1's until he is ready.
He is still growing - developing into his body.
Will no doubt get his opportunity, but keep working hard.