Russian invasion of Ukraine

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

AJ

Post by AJ »

Hitler did this too: https://www.axios.com/ukraine-ban-polit ... 0fd5f.html

#IStandWithRussia.
AJ

Post by AJ »

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1505 ... 31459.html

Hundreds of civilians have been punished for diverse reasons in Ukraine by paramilitary groups and National guard. Strong footage. Tortures, abuses, humiliation, even of kids and girls.

Lots of videos surfacing today of Ukrainians being tortured publicly.

By Ukrainians.

You have absolutely no idea what you’re ‘standing with.’
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 45 times

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
AJ

Post by AJ »

David

Post by David »

Lol AJ, keep this up and I suspect I may indeed stop speaking to you on here very soon. ;)

Correcting your lies and misinformation would be a full-time job, and I have much better things to do, but just wanted to pull you up on this:
AJ wrote:Zelensky […] proceeded to claim that Ukraine was a safe haven to Jews during the Holocaust. An incredible level of gaslighting.
Here's a table of "righteous among nations", the list that Israeli Holocaust researchers put together of people who sheltered and saved Jews during the Holocaust:

https://web.archive.org/web/20161013105 ... istics.asp

Ukraine comes fourth, which is to say they were providing more of a safe haven for Jews than any European country other than France, Poland or the Netherlands.

None of this is to deny what was happening in parts of far western Ukraine under Bandera and other Nazi collaborators, where Jewish people were massacred and sent to concentration camps. But it's a big country, and what Zelenskyy is saying here is nonetheless correct, if indeed only one side of the story.

Ukraine has a complicated past, and some Western media outlets do indeed have a cartoonish understanding of it. But Russian bootlicking propagandists like you are no better.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

^Sorry, you've been wiped, David. No pics of The Donald in his yellowed Y-fronts from Truth Social for you!
In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
think positive
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 90 times

Post by think positive »

You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
AJ

Post by AJ »

stui magpie
Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 95 times

Post by stui magpie »

A Nazi regime headed by a democratically elected Jew.

:? :roll:

The good thing about living in democracies is that we have variety of media, mainstream and otherwise, who are free from government interference.

When the Australian Murdoch media, the Age and the ABC are all singing from the same songbook as reputable international media like CNN and the BBC, that's not a conspiracy, that means they're telling the truth.

If the Ukraine had been committing atrocities in their own back yard, the EU would have been well aware of it and something would have been done. There is zero motivation for anyone to cover that up.

I must confess though that I find the argument that the majority of people are sheep for being brainwashed by reliable, reputable news sources, while the people making these accusations are free thinkers who know the truth, to be hilariously ridiculous.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
AJ

Post by AJ »

stui magpie wrote:A Nazi regime headed by a democratically elected Jew.

The good thing about living in democracies is that we have variety of media, mainstream and otherwise, who are free from government interference.

When the Australian Murdoch media, the Age and the ABC are all singing from the same songbook as reputable international media like CNN and the BBC, that's not a conspiracy, that means they're telling the truth.

If the Ukraine had been committing atrocities in their own back yard, the EU would have been well aware of it and something would have been done. There is zero motivation for anyone to cover that up.

I must confess though that I find the argument that the majority of people are sheep for being brainwashed by reliable, reputable news sources, while the people making these accusations are free thinkers who know the truth, to be hilariously ridiculous.
CNN reliable. You are so guilable. The same people who lied the last two years are telling you there’s a war in Ukraine. Think.
think positive
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 90 times

Post by think positive »

AJ wrote:
stui magpie wrote:A Nazi regime headed by a democratically elected Jew.

CNN reliable. You are so guilable. The same people who lied the last two years are telling you there’s a war in Ukraine. Think.
Sooooo all these news reports are fake? Bloody good graphics fora movie, got me believing, as for the last 2 years, all those freezer trucks in Central Park full of bodies, more make believe??

Let me guess the earth is flat

And if so I have just one question- what’s underneath? Are there tree roots hanging down!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

^
Nah, the bottom is a whole different set of continents and oceans populated by people who think they're on top.

Some of them occasionally get up here via mine tunnels that went too deep and express outrage over mainstream media brainwashing people.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
swoop42
Been liked: 3 times

Post by swoop42 »

Part of me hopes NATO calls Russia's bluff and implements a no fly zone over Ukraine.

They should issue Russia with a 24hr warning of it's implementation and could do this with the concession they wont fire on Russian ground troops and weapon systems unless engaged directly by them.

Russia would then have the decision to either escalate the war and engage NATO air forces or pull back their fighter jets / attack helicopters and rely on every other measure at their disposal.
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
David

Post by David »

I guess the question is: what if they do escalate? Putin doesn't seem to be in the mood to back down. It's foolish to play chicken if we're not willing to cop the consequences.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

That's the balance isn't it.

Plan A, continue on the same path, Putin keeps bombing the shit out of Ukraine, innocent people die with no end date in site.

Plan B. Escalate, call Putin's bluff.

Worst case scenario is he launches nukes at the USA and Europe, who see them coming and retaliate, Russia, large parts of Europe and parts of the USA are radioactive craters and millions dead.

Best case scenario, Putin either backs down or is "removed" by people who don't want worse case scenario and it's all over.

I don't see that Plan A is viable going forward unless things start to change but you'd want some really good intel that worst case scenario would be avoided before going Plan B.