What made you happy today? Part II

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

stui magpie
Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 95 times

Post by stui magpie »

Good stuff, no it's not cadbury :lol:

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/chayote-squash

Old fashioned vegetable. Back in the 60 s and 70's every second house up bush had a Choko vine growing.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
think positive
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 91 times

Post by think positive »

ah, i see those in the shops how do you cook them??
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
ronrat

Post by ronrat »

stui magpie wrote:Good stuff, no it's not cadbury :lol:

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/chayote-squash

Old fashioned vegetable. Back in the 60 s and 70's every second house up bush had a Choko vine growing.
My late father worked in Sydney at a bank in the early 1050s. He stayed in Manly in a boarding house which in those days had hundreds of them. He said dinner was typically some sort of meat, maybe a spud and 60 percent of the plate was boiled choko. When he left Sydney 2 years later he swore he would never eat it again unless he was in a prison. Dad dies 70 years later and was true to his word. Tasteless crap.
Annoying opposition supporters since 1967.
think positive

Post by think positive »

To be fair my mum boiled the shit out of pretty much all veggies! I love mine crisp, I like yellow squash roasted, I’m wondering if this is the same, lots of spices though!
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

It's very mild, very little flavour and very versatile.

Last night just had it peeled and sliced in wedges, steamed with other veges. It was still firm. You can actually dice it and use it as filler in an apple pie and would never know it was there.

You can also use it as a substitute for pasta or noodles.

https://www.sbs.com.au/food/recipes/sti ... ao-thit-bo
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

had a day off exercise yesterday, needed to start work earlier and was busy all morning so made up for it today.

Slept in, up just before 8. Did a mix of walking and jogging, 8.3km in 69 minutes and a couple of sets of weights. Shower then made a breakfast bowl for brunch.

Couple of eggs, scrambled, 1 burger patty fried and some sauteed veges. Sliced into strips some Choko, Zucchini, capsicum and some onion, tomato and spinach. Cook covered on medium heat in some EVOO and butter with a dash of soy sauce. Bloody yum.
Dark Beanie
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Dark Beanie »

Cumquat we planted in a pot a few months ago is producing fruit so making a Cumquat & almond cake for dessert. Going to drizzle a brandy syrup over the top and serve with vanilla ice cream.

When we bought our house there was a huge cumquat tree in the backyard.
Unfortunately it was planted too close to the back of the old lean to and had to go when we did an extension.

Always wanted to replace it, so finally decided got one in a pot along with a Tahitian lime.
If you are foolish enough to be contented, don't show it, but just grumble with the rest. - Jerome K Jerome
think positive

Post by think positive »

Hey all you weird master chef people, there is a food thread! Meanwhile I’m gunna order Thai at half time!

That cake sound good!

My new oven arrived yesterday, it looks too nice to get it dirty!
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

How long is it going to stay looking brand new? :wink:
think positive

Post by think positive »

stui magpie wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

How long is it going to stay looking brand new? :wink:
probably til hubby takes 5 min off work, installs it and cooks in it!!
think positive

Post by think positive »

last week i posted on Humans of melbourne and contacted channel 10, 9 etc about a lady building penguins on Altona beach! today channel 10 were there, they took a pic of us and said it will be on between 5-6.30! if your watching im in the blue coat and messy hair!!! nice to see a good news story!!!
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Is building penguins 1 of the 5 reasons you're allowed out of gaol eh I mean home? :P
think positive

Post by think positive »

stui magpie wrote:Is building penguins 1 of the 5 reasons you're allowed out of gaol eh I mean home? :P
only if the penguins have masks on
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
think positive

Post by think positive »

well my new oven is damn awesome!! im the only one thats used it because no one else can be bothered reading the 200 page instruction manual - i suppose i could share the quickstart manual, but right now im happy for them to dirty up the other one outside!!!

so this morning i had a lovely lady come over for some maternity shots the first time ive done a maternity shoot. We missed doing her daughters cake smash because of covid, and we had to delay the maternity shoot! my best friends daughter was coming for a shoot but had her baby 5 weeks early! so, well i was nervous, shes a friend of a friend, she walks in and says "so the plug popped out just as i left, thought you should know!!" ooook. no worries. we start shooting the pics are amazing, we are both literally teary they were so good and emotional, she goes to the loo and...her water breaks! but she says, i really want to try another outfit, hmm. ok. 3 outfits later im shaking like a leaf and she is finally off to hospital!

And now I just got asked to shoot a wedding!
Last edited by think positive on Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.